Cutting disc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cutting aluminium with a grinder is asking for a facefull of exploded disc IMHO. are you wanting to cut through or grind away material? A saw of some kind if the former, carbide burr for the latter.

I have a small rip saw that has a blade for cutting aluminium just want to half the size of them so that they will fit into my evolution chopsaw so I can cut them in to small enough pieces to fit into my devil forge to make aluminium ingots

cutting aluminium with a grinder is asking for a facefull of exploded disc

The disk will not explode when used on alumnium. It will just not cut very well.

The aluminium is soft and clogs the 'pores' of the disk. It is possible to buy cutting wheels designed for aluminium but they are difficult to find.

https://www.tecproducts.co.uk/abras...utting-slitting-disc-for-aluminum-p3680/s8670

https://www.dtc-uk.com/grinding-discs-for-aluminium/

Note that neither of the above suppliers offer 4" discs that fit a standard grinder - you would need a 4 1/2" grinder to suit a disc with a 22mm bore.

A better option is a toothed blade (in a reciprocating saw), but unless you have the saw already, it is probably uneconomic. Depending on the thickness of the material, a metal-cutting blade in a variable speed jigsaw would also do it. The coarsest hacksaw blade you can buy and a few minutes of your time would also work.

Give a standard grinder disc a try and see how far you get before it clogs. You can try to unclog it by cutting some steel for a few seconds and then going back to the aluminium.

Corded Recip saw are cheap! plenty of blades to choose from and just make a jig up out of bits and pieces wood etc to hold victim down then can chop up smaller easier.
your better off with a 5" grinder than 4" as there engineering grinder for bench type work so limited discs so if buying another get a 5" gives farm better/longer cutting with each disc and machines are similar size and weight. plus 7" is slightly bigger more power and 2" bigger and not so unwieldy as 9".
Mind 9" is ok if have a jig so both hands on machine.
You can get diamond type discs that will cut soft materials.

Normal discs clog then overheat which can then lead to delamination

Back