Disc Sander - which one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brocher

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new disc sander. I am looking at the Record or the Axminster. Both look to be from a similar factory, although tweaks! Or do you have other suggestions of a similar model within a price range of up to £250?

I am a casual DIY guy making odds and ends for the house and daughter, and also some simple boxes for charity shops

Any views on which one?

https://www.yandles.co.uk/record-power-12-cast-iron-disc-sander/p8288

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-workshop-aw300ds-300mm-disc-sander-230v-107672

Have you thought about a belt and disc sander, could be more versatile than just a disc. I have this version which is the same as another from Axminster.

https://www.toolden.co.uk/p/sip-01946-4-x-8-belt-disc-sander/

https://www.partsformachines.com/pr...MIl8W_8-DRhQMVv5pQBh3aBQ5VEAQYBiABEgJS3PD_BwE
Thanks Spectric, I currently have a belt and disc sander. It's old now and well past its best times, and can be a bit cantankerous! I have found lately that I don't use the belt part and have used the disc frequently. It has an 8 inch disc, and I quite like the idea of a larger disc and a more dedicated machine. Thanks

It has an 8 inch disc, and I quite like the idea of a larger disc
But only 4 inchs usable at table ! Half will pull work down onto table, other half will lift work off table and some cover that half.

1713724648588.png

Have you thought about canabilising your disc/belt sander?
Remove the flat belt platten, belt and roller, turn end on, and make a 12" MDF disc and bolt on to the 8" disc, add velcro and voila a 12" disc sander.

Did same with one I had, did me well for a couple of years till motor blew up. Now I just use my lathe with a home made 12" disc of mdf and velcro.

There are any number of these 12" sanders emanating from China with various distributor names. You should be prepared for problems due varying QA at the manufacturer. It's therefore advisable to use distributor with a good customer service reputation and returns policy.
The SIP from Parts For Machines on offer at the moment looks particularly good value and their stated returns policy looks okay for damaged goods. Bearing in mind the recent experience of @flipdogo with an out-of-balance Lumberjack sander it would be worth asking PFM how they would react to such a return request.
SIP themselves have a pretty good reputation as suppliers of tools to the trade.
I think it would be worth pursuing.
Brian

Thanks for feedback everyone. As a cheepo option I might pursue Sachakins suggestion of cannabilising my current one and see how that goes. It might be a few weeks before I get down to it though.

I have had the record for about 4 years and for the first 12 months I hardly used it. I then moved it to a place in the workshop where I had easy access and it was easy to see. It probably gets more use now than almost all the leckie tools in the place. I mainly use 180 grit for cleaning up and finishing of projects that in the past I have attacked with a gentleman's saw or a file. I find it very versatile and like most tools I had to experiment with it to realize its potential. It is a tad noisy and the dust collection is average but I'm glad that I bought it.

But only 4 inchs usable at table ! Half will pull work down onto table, other half will lift work off table and some cover that half.

View attachment 179934
Just take the cover off these things. pretty pointless tbh.

It would lift it off, but as you apply downward pressure, thats hardly ever going to be an issue.
The one we used at college was the big wadkin version(30"), and that had no 1/2 cover. Thats an educational establishment, so if there was an hse requirement, there would have been a guard on it, and given there wasnt, then i think its there to combat against the permanently daft.

I'd opt for the biggest, which would be the 12", and the difference between the ax and the RP is nowt really. So looking between the two I'd pick the ax, because its 30 quid off, and its free postage. If you buy from RP direct, they usually have a postal charge.

I suggest if you have the cash buy a dedicated disc sander and sell your existing for a few pounds.
I have both they are old machines but do the occasional job ok - good enough - but I see a problem in cannibalizing your existing as the new sanding disc will (?) be overhanging the bottom of the machine and touching the bench - unless you sit the base on some 2x4 block. But then you have no (variable angle) sanding table. You may be fortunate that your existing machine can cope with these difficulties in which case good luck, but I would still buy something along the lines Triton has suggested.

Last edited:
Well i have had a rethink and have bought the Ax sander. The deal ends today so I thought why not! Also got a further £10 off due to me having some of their loyalty points which I had forgotten about. So should get it next week on Tuesday or Wednesday. Looking forward to that. I am sure there will be tweaks to be done as well once I unpack it, but it will be nice to have an excuse to do that. Thanks for all the advice again.

The Axminster sander arrived this morning. The poor delivery guy carried it without any trolley to my front door! It's a heavy beast at 32kg! I trollied it down to my small workshop at the bottom of the garden and unpacked it. I needed to check it was all OK, and it was. So looking forward to using it, and will tidy up my old disc/belt sander for selling. It needs some TLC really. The Axi sander comes with their 3 year guarantee, and no need to register as well so long as I remember to keep the receipt, etc! Thanks for the advice guys.

Since the linear speed right in the middle is effectively zero, you now get to use maybe half of the downhill side of the disc. You got yourself the equivalent of a 3" belt sander :)
But it's a simple machine and hopefully reliable for many years beyond it's warranty.

Since the linear speed right in the middle is effectively zero, you now get to use maybe half of the downhill side of the disc. You got yourself the equivalent of a 3" belt sander :)
But it's a simple machine and hopefully reliable for many years beyond it's warranty.
I’ve often heard this as a criticism of disc sanders. But I’ve found that having a slow linear speed near the middle is excellent for precision work and then having the fast outer part is useful for faster stock removal. I’d argue that having the variation in linear speed is a benefit as opposed to a drawback!

Let us know how things go with the machine. I’m still in the market for a sander so would love to hear how you get on with it.

I’d argue that having the variation in linear speed is a benefit as opposed to a drawback!
But if sanding over the entire length of that one half then the material removal will not be constant unlike with a belt so this is where a combined machine can be handy unless you have the space for two dedicated machines with a need.

..I have the Record disc sander which I have used for the last few years. But in hindight I am thinking a flat bed may have been better for me, mainly because of the variation in sanding speed from the center (slow), to the outside (fast). But I guess it depends on what you mainly want to use it for..??

Back