Choosing a Vice(Not the Naughty Type!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeless Squirrel

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a snout around on the Axminster Website came across a few vices that looked interesting!
Do have a 3" Engineers types and you can pivot work on it's end/side as has a lockable mech (so it up ends with handle up in air!)
Been looking at engineers vices like record/woden or similar and around 4" odd to 5 to 6" but only thing with 6" weighs a tonne!
I don't have a bench as such well kitchen worktop improvises! and a Keter folding up jobbie which is ok but unless i mod it? ends of legs are against wall but top isn't so if planing things a bit too enthusiastic can rock a bit so looking at making a plinth to fit end/side so force is held by that.
Made a huge bench hook out of thick plywood i use on top of Keter as good as it is at somethings trying to affix objects like vice/clamps etc isn't it's forte but does have two slots for there own clamps/end stops.
Going to mod bench hook so can move back stop forward/back and angled also and going to make another one to fit vice on out of thicker wood for weight and stability unless i stick on this one with bolts with wing nuts so can shift easily so prefer not to get a no6!

Axminster Workshop Vices Parrot Versatile Vice like this one but does sit high jaws open a decent amount and can place on it's side.

Or this one Axminster Professional All Purpose Engineer's Vice 125mm Do like the other jaws as do make/repair metal things inc repairing car bits! plus handy if threading bolts etc and cutting metal like tubes for making tripod rod rests!
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-vices-all-purpose-engineer-s-vice-125mm-106191It is quite a bit lower than first one so less leverage if planing bits but weighs a lot more plus more cash!

You really want a woodworking vice for planing, much bigger area to grip the wood without marking it.

To make your keter workbench more useable how about a offcut of worktop that fits on to and locates in the hand hold with a couple of door stops and the vice mounted to the edge of it?

Just a thought!

You really want a woodworking vice for planing, much bigger area to grip the wood without marking it.

To make your keter workbench more useable how about a offcut of worktop that fits on to and locates in the hand hold with a couple of door stops and the vice mounted to the edge of it?

Just a thought!
Did think about something like that as do have some worktop pieces here but it's shitboard mind with decent cutter can bore holes plus can soak some resin into holes to seal up i guess?
Trouble using Keter is have to take outside on landing so have room around it to move so have to be mindful of Oiks and council Oiks

No there deposited around the house somewhere? well in a corner i think under something!

So which one of them looks the most useful/Sensible/whatever? Well i know ones £60 and others £130
I know that this is changing the subject slightly, but have you seen these ideas ?
Surely One of these would be more STABLE than your Blinkin' Keter ?
https://www.powertoolmate.co.uk/sto...ment/toughbuilt-wb700-quickset-work-bench.htmhttps://www.powertoolmate.co.uk/storage/work-benches-site-equipment/

Hello,
I have two useful vices on my bench. One is a very large Record vice and the other an Axminster parrot vice. Both are mounted to a piece of 19mm ply which is G clamps to the bench. This has the advantage of them being instantly moveable so that one can clear the bench when needed for extra space. I can also take them outside to fix to an outside bench. I have not had any issues with the vices moving in use, but the clamps are good strong Record ones.
Regards

I’m not sure why you’re looking at metal work vices if you’re planning to do woodwork. Also without something sturdy to attach them to they won’t be much fun to use.

For that sort of money something like a triton superjaw would give you work holding on a fairly stable platform - but does take up space.

You could then make up a more trad woodwork bench top that clamps into it- this is what I often do with mine.

I’m not sure why you’re looking at metal work vices if you’re planning to do woodwork. Also without something sturdy to attach them to they won’t be much fun to use.

For that sort of money something like a triton superjaw would give you work holding on a fairly stable platform - but does take up space.

You could then make up a more trad woodwork bench top that clamps into it- this is what I often do with mine.
I'm a tad space limited inside but wander out onto landing outside front door which gives "more options" but also don't have masses of storage either as way too many tools etc in the way!
I do all sorts/anything really as metal/welding was my thing (give me a pile of scrap and i'l make you a pair of hanging gates!) sort of thing.
But always dabbled in wood but now do more of it inc carving esp as got (yet)more Tools! plus i also restore/repair them as have a collection of Millers Falls planes fettling.
But also Design and make likes of mods to things like Tripods for sea fishing and did while back modify one of a pair of West coast chain saw dogs for my big Stihl Chainsaw which Stihl Cs threw a wobbly when i asked about one plus said had full wrap handle and full depth clutch cover etc also! thought guy was going to explode! lol so scribed it out and cut and filed it to shape so now fits as a pair so chain roller fits through(another thing he blew up over).

It's an hard one but both more use than a bog standard vice!

I know that this is changing the subject slightly, but have you seen these ideas ?
Surely One of these would be more STABLE than your Blinkin' Keter ?
https://www.powertoolmate.co.uk/sto...ment/toughbuilt-wb700-quickset-work-bench.htmhttps://www.powertoolmate.co.uk/storage/work-benches-site-equipment/
Keters ok but work surface won't butt upto the wall as it has a concretey type skirting board sort of thing along base so due to high centre if planing say it can move a bit and better with both paws on plane than one! but going to create a pad to to pad end/side out!

But like that bench cheers.

Had a snout around on the Axminster Website came across a few vices that looked interesting!
Do have a 3" Engineers types and you can pivot work on it's end/side as has a lockable mech (so it up ends with handle up in air!)
Been looking at engineers vices like record/woden or similar and around 4" odd to 5 to 6" but only thing with 6" weighs a tonne!
I don't have a bench as such well kitchen worktop improvises! and a Keter folding up jobbie which is ok but unless i mod it? ends of legs are against wall but top isn't so if planing things a bit too enthusiastic can rock a bit so looking at making a plinth to fit end/side so force is held by that.
Made a huge bench hook out of thick plywood i use on top of Keter as good as it is at somethings trying to affix objects like vice/clamps etc isn't it's forte but does have two slots for there own clamps/end stops.
Going to mod bench hook so can move back stop forward/back and angled also and going to make another one to fit vice on out of thicker wood for weight and stability unless i stick on this one with bolts with wing nuts so can shift easily so prefer not to get a no6!

Axminster Workshop Vices Parrot Versatile Vice like this one but does sit high jaws open a decent amount and can place on it's side.

Or this one Axminster Professional All Purpose Engineer's Vice 125mm Do like the other jaws as do make/repair metal things inc repairing car bits! plus handy if threading bolts etc and cutting metal like tubes for making tripod rod rests!
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-vices-all-purpose-engineer-s-vice-125mm-106191It is quite a bit lower than first one so less leverage if planing bits but weighs a lot more plus more cash!
Hello,
Sometimes one can get away with small…..
64BD82A0-30C5-4839-821E-F5408292BC5A.jpeg

I have a vice for vises

I’d go second hand as you’ll get a lot more for your money and generally only need a clean and lubricating.

The rotating vice you linked to is a knock off Swindens, these do hold their value so unlikely to get one super cheap- they are really nice though, and lock up solid.

Something like the Zyliss multipurpose vise might be worth a look - doesn’t take up much space, can clamp to a work surface and pretty versatile

I have a vice for vises

I’d go second hand as you’ll get a lot more for your money and generally only need a clean and lubricating.

The rotating vice you linked to is a knock off Swindens, these do hold their value so unlikely to get one super cheap- they are really nice though, and lock up solid.

Something like the Zyliss multipurpose vise might be worth a look - doesn’t take up much space, can clamp to a work surface and pretty versatile
Hi yes has it's likeness but there is a Faithful and Record version also found on DM tools but Faithfull has smaller jaws and record a lot more and neither say's has life time warranty like Axminsters do.

Back