Commercial workshop- My kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doctor":3nb7nqls said:
BradNaylor":3nb7nqls said:
As the Doc would be the first to say, there is nothing in his workshop that you wouldn't expect to find in any high-end commercial production unit.

These things don't come from lottery wins; they come as a natural progression from years of bloody hard work, sacrifice, and refining the production process so that it as quick and efficient as possible.

There's no time for dreams...

Brad

Nicely put...

Well thats me well and truly put in my place! Perhaps I should have stayed lurking.

Sorry folks - I'm not at all impressed - its just a place of work where you have to get stuff done to upkeep the equipment, make profit & put bread on the table.

Not what woodwork is about for me. The idea of having to earn a living from it (laughable in my case) would ruin it for me.

Don't get me wrong I admire Doc & the rest, but I don't envy them.

lurker":3n0rtvvf said:
Sorry folks - I'm not at all impressed - its just a place of work where you have to get stuff done to upkeep the equipment, make profit & put bread on the table.

Not what woodwork is about for me. The idea of having to earn a living from it (laughable in my case) would ruin it for me.

Don't get me wrong I admire Doc & the rest, but I don't envy them.

'tis two very different worlds brought together by the fact they both work in wood. On one hand you have people who need uniform results on large scale projects done as quickly as possible to keep their business ticking over, and on the other hand people whose work is more suited to hand tools, and low volume.

I'd hate to have a piece of bespoke furniture knocked up in Doctor's workshop using just a load of machines, as much as I'd hate to be paying top whack for an independent cabinet maker to hand build an entire kitchen from solid oak.

I guess one of the benefits of this forum is that you have a healthy mix of both camps, rather than the answer to everything being "always use a hand plane" or "make it out of MDF".

I think I make nice furniture, bit harsh saying you wouldn't want my furniture, kitchens are just a small part
dscn0806mh7.jpg

NewtoWood":xlupwnuh said:
Doctor":xlupwnuh said:
BradNaylor":xlupwnuh said:
As the Doc would be the first to say, there is nothing in his workshop that you wouldn't expect to find in any high-end commercial production unit.

These things don't come from lottery wins; they come as a natural progression from years of bloody hard work, sacrifice, and refining the production process so that it as quick and efficient as possible.

There's no time for dreams...

Brad

Nicely put...

Well thats me well and truly put in my place! Perhaps I should have stayed lurking.

Nah, wouldn't worry about it, Doc and Brad are fairly forthright in their views but both are good chaps. Well, mostly.... :wink:

Stick around, you'll be made to feel more than welcome

Being controversial to everyone else, I think the set up looks a cluttered mess.
As a 'commercial' set up, there are many aspects of the workshop and its facilities, that could or will get you into hot water if the HSE were to pay a visit.

EddieJ":3keof5er said:
Being controversial to everyone else, I think the set up looks a cluttered mess.
As a 'commercial' set up, there are many aspects of the workshop and its facilities, that could or will get you into hot water if the HSE were to pay a visit.

:lol:

Personally, I've always had a bit of a tidy up before taking photos of my workshop. It looks like the Doc just fired away at lunchtime while his lads were outside eating their whelks or jellied eels or whatever it is that Essex boys have in their snap tins.

I don't agree with the HSE comments but I am struggling to detect a logical flow of work through the Doc's workshop. The machines appear to be set up in a slightly random fashion and the wood storage areas seem a long way from the saw.

Perhaps I'm not getting the full feel of the place from the photos, however.

:wink:

Cheers
Brad

open your eyes, the rip saw and planer are 10ft from the timber rack, the panel saw is for PANELS. 2 saws!!!!
As for the HSE comments, I find that insulting, I run a good shop, my insurance company does a full check each year and we follow all their advise at great expense, it may not be perfect but i know its better than most.
I would appreciate a PM so you can highlight the errors, some are obvious like the tins of paint, lunch time delivery.
However if there are issues a PM would be better than a public hanging.

Ironballs":11k06y85 said:
Nah, wouldn't worry about it, Doc and Brad are fairly forthright in their views but both are good chaps. Well, mostly.... :wink:

You mean I am and he isn't?

:lol:

Seriously NewtoWood, stick around.

I'm sorry if we jumped down your throat; it's just that guys who have sweated for years building up a decent workshop and business, remortgaging the house and sacrificing family life in the process, get a little bit touchy about being called 'lucky'!

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers
Brad

As a safety professional the place looks very good to me.
The spacings around the more dangerous equipment is excellent.

Too many untrue silly stories about the HSE.
They realise you have to get work done & would not expect the place to ressemble an operating theatre.

As far as H&S goes, I can only see one thing that would really concern me and that's the big roll of whateverthatis on top of your speed sander. Their concern would probably be that it could roll off and crush someone! :shock: Bits of wood and other things lying about but, I'd assume they get tidied up and used elsewhere. :) I was going to mention those long lengths sticking out of your timber racks but, they do appear to be above head height from the photographs. :D

OPJ":2frubvro said:
As far as H&S goes, I can only see one thing that would really concern me and that's the big roll of whateverthatis on top of your speed sander. Their concern would probably be that it could roll off and crush someone! :shock: Bits of wood and other things lying about but, I'd assume they get tidied up and used elsewhere. :) I was going to mention those long lengths sticking out of your timber racks but, they do appear to be above head height from the photographs. :D
Ya. I see power cables/air lines an a saw on the floor, cardboard box/bucket on spay shop roof.. I know from working in Commercial workshops, it's never easy, not to fall into the trap.. very nice other wise.. Oh, Whot NO lathe.. :lol: :lol:... David....

I think its amazing the fact that Doc's shop is being pulled up for being unsafe. It's definately one of the best i've seen with regards to HSE. We could all find fault with anyones place of work if we looked hard enough, but in this industry Doc's look well above average to me.

Jeeez i better not post any current pic's of my shop...

That big round object is a roll of light weight cardboard for wrapping stuff up.
The boxes on the spray booth contain foam sanding blocks, the "bucket" is a spray pot it weighs about an ounce..
I run a great shop, its clutter free, please remember its a working environment.
I train all my staff, have signed records of training etc etc etc
Who else has receipts of over £3000 spent on insurance requirements to ensure the safety of my employees.
Honestly wish I hadn't bothered posting the pictures now.
The person who originally brought up the HSE issues has now contacted me and is now saying, its a couple of minor points only.
To be pulled apart by a few of you is insulting, it implies I don't care about my employees safety, what a load of tosh, I gave one of them the day of a while back (paid) because he would have been in the shop on his own for a few hours, I care.
There is a £10,000 extraction system to protect their health.
Regards Bob, totally cabbage off

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that your workshop is generally unsafe and I don't believe many others did either. As I said, I noticed a couple of things that might have concerned the HSE but, generally, it has the look of 'live' workshop that gets plenty of use.

I'm sorry if you found my comments insulting, that was not my intention. I can honestly say that I have worked in two workshops that weren't up to scratch, compared with yours and, as an employee, I have never had to sign on the dotted line - come to think of it, I don't recally seeing a contract of employment...! :shock: One of the guys I used to work with (a "superior") clearly didn't know what the letters H and S stood for. :x

Again, I apologise. :)

Doctor":3vqx13g7 said:
I think I make nice furniture, bit harsh saying you wouldn't want my furniture, kitchens are just a small part
dscn0806mh7.jpg

All I'd like to add to this post is wow... thats one sexy piece of furniture, beautiful work

Regards

Andy

You should see my garage, the amount of times I've banged my head on the sliding carriage on the table saw is untrue, I have wood propped up all over the place, machines everywhere, dust, random objects on the floor, bike handlebars to negotiate and a bloody great awkward thing on wheels in the middle with more than a few litres of super unleaded sloshing around in it.

Docs place looks great to me!

Back