Clarke 12c

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
I have bought a 2nd hand Clarke and would love to get a self centreing Chuck for bowl work… any ideas happy for 2nd hand … novice here so all help appreciated

Are you sure it's a Clarke 12C & not a 12D?
There is no mention on their lathe manuals download page
- Clarke Woodlathes - Download Manuals

I think, but am not positive, that all Clarke lathes have a 3/4" x 16tpi thread on the headstock - so any woodturning chuck with this thread should suit. Preferably a 4" but don't turn your nose up at a 3" if it comes at the right price.

Are you sure it's a Clarke 12C & not a 12D?
There is no mention on their lathe manuals download page
- Clarke Woodlathes - Download Manuals

I think, but am not positive, that all Clarke lathes have a 3/4" x 16tpi thread on the headstock - so any woodturning chuck with this thread should suit. Preferably a 4" but don't turn your nose up at a 3" if it comes at the right price.
Hi deff a Clarke 12c, I have a very old manual

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Looking on eBay for a self centering chuck as that’s what I’ve been told is best …sorry newbie here is a m33 pitch 3.5 any good ? And what does pitch mean

If you buy M33 3.5 you can buy an insert to reduce the thread to ¾x16. It's a good idea as then you can move the chuck on to any other lathe you may get in the future

You do realise you'll pay more for a chuck and jaws than you paid for the lathe? If you think you're likely to take this seriously, look for either a chuck like a Versachuck that takes different backplates or a chuck that has interchangeable inserts. When you move on to a better lathe you can change the backplate or insert and you won't have the major expense all over again.

Look for a used 3/4 x 16tpi chuck first. Bigger chucks with inserts may be too much for the lathe, a lightweight SC3 AT 3/4 16TPI would be good.

Looking on eBay for a self centering chuck as that’s what I’ve been told is best …sorry newbie here is a m33 pitch 3.5 any good ? And what does pitch mean
It's just another way of telling you the thread size. If you need to put a thread on a 33mm bar you can have fine threads, course threads or anywhere in between, so the 3.5 is the pitch to distinguish it from other threads. In practice M33 x3.5 is a standard thread whilst any other M33 thread would rarely by found & is likely to only be used for special circumstances.

And what does pitch mean
Since this hasn't been addressed - - - 'Pitch' is the distance between the crests of the thread.
It could also be between the roots or flanks at the effective or pitch diameter.

It seems that you are not familiar with thread nomenclature so this drawing may well enlighten you.
Thread Nomenclature.png

Latest posts

Back