Buying cheapest wood for woodwork practice in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red deal is the old term for pine. Basically Scots pine. Redwood. Pinus sylvestris. Mostly from the baltic and Sweden.
Not white deal or fir the stuff scaff planks are made from. Although it is light and strong. Just not the best for working(I'm guessing guys are using hand tools.)
It's much maligned in modern joinery but it's use was practically universal in times past. I suggest its got a great mix of strength and weight and solidity and workability/paintabilty. Even the knots are softish. White deal is stronger weight for weight but works really badly. It doesn't finish well off the cutters it's hasn't got the durability of red(but it does like pressure treatment) and the knots are like glass.
I'm not suggesting don't go dumpster diving for a second I'm saying if somethings worth making the make it with something decent that's available in sizes you want.
Thanks for the great explanation, everyday is certainly a skool day

You have my thoughts in both my posts, I am not willing to enter a discussion about legal definitions.

I cant imagine that you are legally able to enter someones property (trespass) and remove their possessions that happen to be in a rubbish skip.
One of the 'tests' relating to theft is the need to prove the 'intention to permanently deprive'. An example is finding a wallet late one evening and then handing it in to a police station the following day (in this case, the wallet isn't categorised as 'stolen' during the interval between it being found and handed-in). That said, it could get messy if the police raid your house during the night and find the wallet ...

You have my thoughts in both my posts, I am not willing to enter a discussion about legal definitions.

I cant imagine that you are legally able to enter someones property (trespass) and remove their possessions that happen to be in a rubbish skip.

It's unfortunate that you can't specify what you disagree with.

We're talking about the law, so your stance is a bit odd! Is that because legal definitions carry more weight than 'opinions'?

"I can't imagine..." is an argument from incredulity, and that's a logical fallacy.

I like PAR redwood pine, you just need to find a good supplier, unsorted 5ths is cheaper, wider boards are often better quality from experience with less knots.

Where I live in a rural agricultural area we have a local dump with a designated area for wood waste. Many times I returned with a truck load useable wood . My wife always asks what did you bring home.

As regards all the skip/theft/trespass business, I'm sure I read somewhere that any contents became the property of the company that supplied the skip! The original owner had "relinquished ownership" as soon the object was chucked in, and therefore no longer had the right to say you were OK to take that old, solid mahogany door you'd had your eyes on...

Back