Chisel buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never had one break yet. I'm not morticing with it daily though I use a 20 oz hammer normally. I'm guessing guys that morticed doors all the time had " proper mallets(apple soaked in linseed(like my mason mate he also uses a HUGE white nylon one!)

never had one break yet. I'm not morticing with it daily though I use a 20 oz hammer normally. I'm guessing guys that morticed doors all the time had " proper mallets(apple soaked in linseed(like my mason mate he also uses a HUGE white nylon one!)
Mallet you can hit as hard as you like but with a hammer you have to be careful or you could hit your hand holding the chisel. OK on nails because once it's started you don't have to hold it and can whack away.

I haven't seen Aldi or Lidl ones for four or five years (and I look every week).
Some people like sets, but I find it easier to have non matching handles (turning tools as well).
According to Paul Sellers these were made by MHG I've copied what he says here:

I have been trialing these chisels solidly in daily use for almost three months now and I find them to have excellent quality and give good value for money without compromising the functionality you might expect from say a premium chisel. MHG chisels are excellent value for money at around £60 for a boxed set of six with totally useable sizes inside the box. Others can be added individually for around £10 each to fill in any gaps. These chisels are made by the same makers as my everyday-use Aldi chisels. They have those wonderful, indestructible hornbeam wooden handles that just fit any hand perfectly. I might not like the shiny, steel-looking ferrules but they are fine and I will live with them as I continue to use them long term. Again, these chisels are unfussy and unfanciful and hard to beat when it comes to functionality, edge retention, steel hardness and sharpenability and so on. Comparing these chisels to what are considered premium chisels will be a matter of personal preference to each individual. I will say this, thinking through my past and trialing different chisels from the higher-end market, of the two hundred or so Aldi chisels I have used in my classes for 10 years to date, I have never seen a snapped Aldi chisel, I have never had a handle turn loose of the tang and I have never cut my fingers on the side bevels. I have done all of the above with so-called premium chisels. MHG’s main-line production chisels, the former producer of Aldi chisels when they stocked them, are better chisels through and through and are indeed lifetime chisels.

I rehandled a set with padauk London pattern handles for Secret Santa about five years ago - they were quite lovely but the recipient didn't post photos and I have none. I don't think he posted again after that.
Sounds like he was so overwhelmed that he gave up the noble craft of woodwork altogether just at the sight of them!

You don't need to spend a load of money on chisels, but rather invest in a good sharpening kit and a strop. It's also much easier to sharpen the cheaper chisels, especially after you chip them.

I have a set of 4 blue handled Stanley chisels which I have had for about 40 years, I guess. They have been looked after, and never hit with a hammer, always a mallet as I was taught. They are as good now as they were when new, just a tiny bit shorter from years of careful sharpening. As has already been said, the real secret is to find some which have been looked after if you are not going for new... Not sure how you would check that using ebay but you might find some locally on gumtree or marketplace which you could inspect first...

wait, paul is claiming that aldi chisels that are sold for $8 here in the US are the same as MHG? They're chinese chisels that copy german chisels.

When off to college in 1979 I bought a set of Blue smooth plastic handle bevel edged Stanley chisels. If I'd had the extra cash I'd have gone for the black handle version. The chisels have served me well and I cannot recall picking up anything that I would replace them with that was noticeably better and worth the large amount extra to replace them.
About 10 years ago I had the job of replacing the chisels we used at the secondary school I taught at. I went for the Kirschen / Two Cherries sold by Axi. Whilst they looked a bit shiny and cheap the steel was excellent, holding a keen edge and cutting very well.
If starting out now I'd be happy with either, but I'd have to strip the lacquer off the Kirschen and give then a light oil finish.

Colin
Those black handled polished chisels were a thing of beauty 😍

You don't need to spend a load of money on chisels, but rather invest in a good sharpening kit and a strop. It's also much easier to sharpen the cheaper chisels, especially after you chip them.
Being easier to sharpen surely means softer steel 🤷‍♂️

That's why you'd use a wooden mallet. A lump hammer would finish off even a plastic handle quite quickly.

wow! On the other hand, I recently picked up 8 wooden handled ones for less than £20, so sensible prices can be fond

I see a set of six Footprint paring chisels just sold for £229.50 on ebay. Seven people obviously thought they were good.:)

I didn't see the paring chisels, but footprint was probably the last firm making lower cost chisels at good hardness for cabinetmaking.

Got an item number? I had a set of 6 unused footprint chisels at one point that were nothing like the footprint chisels, but more like the marples later types with the fat sides. They were in the box and unused and I think about 75 bucks. I ended up selling them for $100 later, which just about breaks even with sales tax and ebay fees here.

(I'll go look - maybe given that they're paring chisels, they won't be hard to find).

I didn't see the paring chisels, but footprint was probably the last firm making lower cost chisels at good hardness for cabinetmaking.

Got an item number? I had a set of 6 unused footprint chisels at one point that were nothing like the footprint chisels, but more like the marples later types with the fat sides. They were in the box and unused and I think about 75 bucks. I ended up selling them for $100 later, which just about breaks even with sales tax and ebay fees here.

(I'll go look - maybe given that they're paring chisels, they won't be hard to find).

strange birds! Paring chisels are at least one situation where those heavy handles won't bother balance.

I don't know if those things will rise in value, but let me convey something I saw here earlier this year.

Remember the "not the last" marples plastic handled chisels made in sheffield? The "blue chips" as they're called in the US? At one point, I got two sets of those mostly unused for $50. I could get along with them, but I can make tools and they're a bit soft for my taste (that can be accommodated or they can be rehardened - yes, even with the plastic handles on they can be rehardened).

In both sets, there was one chisel that was almost completely unhardened. Once they have bevels, it can be a bit iffy if they stay sharp if you reharden them, so I passed both sets on and I'm not sure if I broke even, but figure within 10 percent or so - i got what I wanted to learn from them and off they went.

Last year, I opened ebay to see a set of six of them unused or little used sell on a straight auction for $180.

I have no idea what is behind such a thing. Where does a $10 each chisel turn into a $180 set? If you read a little further back or read old magazines, you'll see people using them in droves - which is a shame given how inexpensive a lot of better very old english chisels were at the time, but they were accessible. I can only guess (and maybe wrongly) that the frequency you see of the mention of these chisels in older discussions made people believe there was something about them that was better than just quickly made totally machine made chisels with steel that's probably a bit lower in carbon than something like O1.

$180 (!!)

I'm over having things just because they're odd, or there would've potentially been a time that I'd have paid $300 or a little more for a set of footprint parers....I hope not, but the wrong day of the week and a little tired and it could've been me.

I stayed out of this thread as I"ve had somewhere around 500 chisels - at some point, you get into the making of the tools and experimenting with them and losing touch with what stage other folks are in (and I think I could've made everything I've ever made with a set that was within the first 15 or so chisels).

Gordon Bennett that's expensive for any chisel. footprint we're a fair to mid price tool but I reckoned they punched above there weight edge wise. one downer is they rust for fun. I've seen a few unhardened blue chips 1275gt had one where the edge totally rolled.
they are amazingly common at car boots. marples must have sold huge amounts. another thing I like about footprints is the red handles and blades are short( at least on non parers) I find that's really useful.
footprint also made planes and plane irons as a company they were very well known for a certain design of adjustable plumbing pliers( footprints) also bricklayers line pins. all forged

I couldn't guess on what footprint used for steel, but would guess the bulk of the chisels made in the last 75 years came from drill rod or wire rod, whatever you want to call it, snipped off, die forged and then run through a grinding process (before of after heat treatment for certain parts, depending on the process) and heat treated by something quick (not by some elaborate schedule like you'll find in bohler's listings).

What's the point? Well, if you get 1% drill rod with minimal bits of things (manganese, chromium, a little bit of vanadium, etc) added, the steel will harden well and temper around 61 hardness in the sweet spot (where the steel gets adequate toughness but before making it soft so that it won't chip at all - it just rolls instead, which is worse for chisels, anyway).

If you cut the carbon to 0.8, then the same temper will result in a point or two less, and if you cut the carbon to 0.6, then you'll get something around 56-58 hardness unless you short tempering (no good). The steels with lower carbon end up being much tougher, but they lack strength - toughness is how much energy steel will take out of a weight before it breaks, and strength (at least the first phase) is how much force it will take steel to deform. The toughness tests go way past deformation to failure, but we want to operate in the strength range unless opening paint cans (then it's probably good to be able to fold the edge without breaking a chunk off.

The cost difference between good 0.8% carbon drill rod and 1% is a small amount, but if you're going to do post heat treat grinding, any additional softness makes things easier.

We don't get much in the way of *really good* chisel steel because there's not that much of a market (there's a little niche one now) for cabinetmaking chisels vs. something that doesn't get returned when someone uses it to open a paint can.

There's literally nothing that would prevent a chinese company from using 1% or 1.1% plain steel and making really good chisels (better than the aldi chisels) for a couple of dollars each, properly ground. Except they're not aware of it and nobody is going to distribute superb chisels for $5.

The rust as far as chisels go is a good thing. Additional alloying does nothing for chisels (above and beyond something like silver steel rod). A2 is not a great chisel steel, O1 is decent, but a silver steel rod in the 1.1% range is probably better (Slightly harder/stronger but tougher at the same time) than O1. The more plain the steel gets, the faster it will rust.

A2 doesn't move much when you heat treat it, which makes it better for makers (it's also not that tough), and when you get it from someone like LN, they drive the hardness up a fair amount to about the same sweet spot as O1, but the chromium does something for the maker and nothing for you other than make a chisel that lasts about as well as O1 slower to sharpen or grind chips out.

Drill rod and plain steels, on the other hand, require a lot more follow-up grinding. To the point that over here, LN's heat treater gave up. That's the world we live in now- the tools are made in CNC, the customers count a thousandth of an inch, check their chisels with a digital caliper and proclaim surface finish.

All that said, if you get the wood handled footprints and they're not defective in any way and sharpen them with oilstones, you'll never have trouble with rust and never really want for anything better unless you like to hold up the chisels by pinching the tips at the bevel (that's dippy, anyway).

just been looking for stubai carving tools unfortuneatly they aren't to common anymore. I did come across a stubai chisel set on amazon. they are as good as mhg and kirchen but maybe cheaper.

A month or two ago I recommended here people look at Footprint chisels as affordable sets! lol, these were not even the nicer wooden handled ones. What Sellers did for the 71, I hope I have not done for Footprint chisels!

Back