305mm benchtop disk sander advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roysy

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a benchtop sander but even the Axminster ones have poor reviews. Most people tend to leave reviews when there is a problem and the majority of happy folk just move on. I am therefore looking for personal experience of the ones on the market at present. The ones I have looked at are around the £200-£300 price and I am not looking to spend more. Any advice based on using the tool would be appreciated.

Thanks, that is very helpful; did not come up with my search. I reckon it's between Sealey and Record for my price range unless others come up with something different

Thanks, that is very helpful; did not come up with my search. I reckon it's between Sealey and Record for my price range unless others come up with something different

I've been more than happy with my Sealey sander......Its a heavy bit of equipment and seems well built.👍👍

The Axminster one has 41 reviews and only 6 of those are under 4\5 star, so plenty of +ve feedback.
All the machines in your price range are of similar quality so you must expect some niggles on the periphal features like table clamping and dust extraction ports seem to be a constant source of dissatisfaction. Most of these can be sorted out with a bit of fettling. More fundamental problems can affect the actual operation of the machine. An example in this case would be an out of balance or non-flat disc. This is where good customer service comes in. Importers such as Axy buy in at a certain quality level knowing that there will be rejects. The decent retailers will offer a solution quite readily.
I've been through this scenario recently with the purchase of a bench drill. The table height adjuster mechanism was poor. I complained to the supplier who offered either a replacement, a refund or a 15% discount. I chose the latter and fixed the problem in half an hour. However when I commissioned the drill I found the chuck was running eccentrically. This was a no-no for me and a full refund and return was agreed without any fuss.
Brian

The RP from D&M looks a good deal at the moment

The Axminster one had consistent problems with the table including plastic threads which put me off. On the other hand, many are well pleased with it; it would be interesting to see if anyone has had personal experience. I would not buy anything if I went purely on negative reviews but they do highlight areas of potential concern. Axminster however do offer excellent after sales.

Why not take note of the shortcomings of the commercial ones and design them out and make one yourself - it ain't rocket science and you would learn so much from the exercise.

Why not take note of the shortcomings of the commercial ones and design them out and make one yourself - it ain't rocket science and you would learn so much from the exercise.
I have thought of that but the problem is time to do it.

You could look at a belt sander instead, you can only use half the disk area anyway so what about one of those combination machines, I brought the SIP 4inch belt and 8 inch disk version but they all come out the same door with different colors and minor variations.

https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/sip-01946-4in-x-8in-belt-disc-sander-5012713019465
You could also go for the 6 inch belt and 10 inch disk version that comes with a stand

https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/sip-01927-6in-x-10in-belt-disc-sander-5012713019274

You could look at a belt sander instead, you can only use half the disk area anyway so what about one of those combination machines, I brought the SIP 4inch belt and 8 inch disk version but they all come out the same door with different colors and minor variations.

https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/sip-01946-4in-x-8in-belt-disc-sander-5012713019465
You could also go for the 6 inch belt and 10 inch disk version that comes with a stand

https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/sip-01927-6in-x-10in-belt-disc-sander-5012713019274
The 10 inch version would be too big, (no floor space left), but the 8 inch version would possibly be a big enough disk and with the belt as a useful addition. I have not heard of Sip. Are you happy with it and are the adjustable tables fit for purpose?

I am happy enough with it for the price, all these machines have similar tables but they can be setup to do what you want, but for precision then routing is much better than sanding. SIP is a common brand and over the years I have had a few of there products. What are you going to be using it for ?

I am happy enough with it for the price, all these machines have similar tables but they can be setup to do what you want, but for precision then routing is much better than sanding. SIP is a common brand and over the years I have had a few of there products. What are you going to be using it for ?
Particularly end grain stuff, 45 and 90 degrees and rounding off, especially small objects. I have worked with one in a local workshop, (Men in Sheds), and it is one of those go tools that you just keep going to. I do use a router a lot but the convenience of a sander for odd jobs is invaluable. I already have a belt sander which I clamp to the workbench, hence not being too worried about a combined tool but I am tempted with the SIP.

I have been using the record disc sander for a good few years, (casual user), and in general I have been happy with it......if that helps??

I would agree. I have a Warco 8x4 disc/belt one. Generic Chinese machine. Only thing wrong with it was the very flimsy bracket for adjusting the angle of the disc table, took me about half an hour to fabricate something more suitable.

I have a belt/disc sander too and agree that they are all fairly similar in that a few tweaks are necessary to make the table supports better. For a bigger disc sander it's hard to beat a home made disc on the lathe.

I found an old 2017 thread similar to this and one person recommended the triton belt/spindle machine which could perhaps be more versatile. Dust collection is naf with belt sanders but it should do much if not all of what I need to do with a smaller footprint and the added bonus of a spindle sander. I already have a belt sander which I clamp to the bench at times. Any thoughts?

1706201065858.png

Back