Jet JWDS-2244OSC-M Oscillating Drum Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireburst

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Do any members have this drum sander? I am looking to speed up the finishing of batches of chopping boards, and I have mulled over purchasing a drum sander in the past, but the loading of abrasive has somewhat put me off as it looks like a faff. I would consider a used wide belt sander with a small enough footprint but these machines all seem to be quite large.

Any advice on the above points would be appreciated.

I would have thought its smaller brother, the 16-32 would big enough for chopping boards. I only use mine as an accurate thicknesser for thin items. It's only ever loaded with P120 with final sanding being done by other means. It is a faff to change the loadings but it's not too bad once you get the hang of it. If you're sanding batches it's worth considering. Keep a lookout for s/h 16-32's. They are the most popular and come up fairly frequently.
Brian

I would have thought its smaller brother, the 16-32 would big enough for chopping boards. I only use mine as an accurate thicknesser for thin items. It's only ever loaded with P120 with final sanding being done by other means. It is a faff to change the loadings but it's not too bad once you get the hang of it. If you're sanding batches it's worth considering. Keep a lookout for s/h 16-32's. They are the most popular and come up fairly frequently.
Brian
Hi Brian,

Yes, I did consider its smaller brother, but I do quite a few 21" chess boards too. I know you can flip the workpiece to get around this limitation, but I also think the extra capacity may be of advantage for some of my coffee table tops too.

Have you ever put anything through that has had rein added? I wonder how quickly resin would ruin the paper.

Hi Brian,

Yes, I did consider its smaller brother, but I do quite a few 21" chess boards too. I know you can flip the workpiece to get around this limitation, but I also think the extra capacity may be of advantage for some of my coffee table tops too.

Have you ever put anything through that has had rein added? I wonder how quickly resin would ruin the paper.

I do resin stuff on my drum sander frequently.

So long as the passes are light it's not a problem. I think the resin is so mixed with the wood dust that the chip clearance is fine and nothing sticks about. This is with 80g paper.

I do final finding elsewhere. I use the drum sander as a thicknesser on highly figured wood as you don't get tear out issues. But, by "thicknesser" I more mean to absolutly flatten small items, rather than to take off inches of material.

I do resin stuff on my drum sander frequently.

So long as the passes are light it's not a problem. I think the resin is so mixed with the wood dust that the chip clearance is fine and nothing sticks about. This is with 80g paper.

I do final finding elsewhere. I use the drum sander as a thicknesser on highly figured wood as you don't get tear out issues. But, by "thicknesser" I more mean to absolutly flatten small items, rather than to take off inches of material.
That’s good to know. It will be just taking the final mm off before finishing by hand.

Back