Chisel buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

i am looking to purchase a secondhand range of chisels for general carpentry work , what are the best makes to purchase?
I would like to buy secondhand from EBay and happy to buy older tools. I know this is a massive subject due to the range of chisels available but i need to start somewhere and willing to learn more on this topic , as my knowledge is limited.Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Blue handled Marples are good. Wooden handles are nicer to use as they are lighter.
Chisels are primitive instruments and there's little to chose between them.
Buy firmers first - they do most of the work. 1/4" 1/2" 3/4" and 1"
You get hardly anything extra for your money if you buy "high end" expensive ones, but don't buy the very cheapest like "Faithful" brand - though if that is what you end up with it won't really make that much difference!
Or to put it another way - just buy a few chisels and don't over think it!

Last edited:
Hello all,

i am looking to purchase a secondhand range of chisels for general carpentry work , what are the best makes to purchase?
I would like to buy secondhand from EBay and happy to buy older tools. I know this is a massive subject due to the range of chisels available but i need to start somewhere and willing to learn more on this topic , as my knowledge is limited.Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Agree with Jacob, but maybe you want something slightly more 'refined'? You say 'range', so I'm guessing you might like several, maybe even from the same maker or of the same style.

If this is the case, I'd go for either a variety of Sheffield made chisels of similar style or one of the bigger suppliers like Ward or Marples so it wouldn't be too difficult to match further acquisitions. Light surface rust should be no problem, but I think the key thing is to avoid anything more, pitting etc, on the last inch or so the of the back (flat side) of the chisel.

It depends on how much you want to spend. Buying old chisels off eBay is a bit of a gamble and they may need some work to sort out. 15 years ago I bought a set of Kirchen bevel edged 'firmer' type chisels (squared off along both sides of the blade) these are very good for most work, even chopping mortises, but not dovetails where you need a sharp bevel edge for which I'd recommend Narex. The Kirchens keep a really good sharp edge yet are easy to hone.

Kirschen 1181 4 Piece Bevel Edge Chisel Set | Axminster Tools

I haven't seen Aldi or Lidl ones for four or five years (and I look every week).
Some people like sets, but I find it easier to have non matching handles (turning tools as well).
Ahh..... I'm looking for the ash/hornbeam handled ones - they're the ones regarded by many (inc. me) as excellent value.

When off to college in 1979 I bought a set of Blue smooth plastic handle bevel edged Stanley chisels. If I'd had the extra cash I'd have gone for the black handle version. The chisels have served me well and I cannot recall picking up anything that I would replace them with that was noticeably better and worth the large amount extra to replace them.
About 10 years ago I had the job of replacing the chisels we used at the secondary school I taught at. I went for the Kirschen / Two Cherries sold by Axi. Whilst they looked a bit shiny and cheap the steel was excellent, holding a keen edge and cutting very well.
If starting out now I'd be happy with either, but I'd have to strip the lacquer off the Kirschen and give then a light oil finish.

Colin

I love footprint brand with red plastic handles. they come on ebay all the time. just be careful with rust. firmer chisels are really old school. having one set get bevel edgers. the black( and yellow)beech handles don't survive well.
they take a superb edge, better than marples or stanley.

Last edited:
the whole premise of firmer chisels was blown away when I smashed 40 big mortices in a green oak porch using a bevel edge stanley and a lump hammer.

the whole premise of firmer chisels was blown away when I smashed 40 big mortices in a green oak porch using a bevel edge stanley and a lump hammer.
A firmer would do it better and survive longer.

it's quite rare to find firmers with plastic handles tbh. smashing a wood handle with a lump hammer isn't a good idea esp those beech handled ones

it's quite rare to find firmers with plastic handles tbh. smashing a wood handle with a lump hammer isn't a good idea esp those beech handled ones
That's why you'd use a wooden mallet. A lump hammer would finish off even a plastic handle quite quickly.

Back