• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Cheap but functional/quality router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redefined_cycles

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I think the time has finally come to get a router. Maybe after logging into the forum one too many time but also cos I fancy making some proper grooves to slot the vertical pieces in as opposed to screwing and staggering them.

Hapoy to take one if someone has an accurate one lying about that they no longer use. Alternately, open to suugestions but trying not to buy owt cheap/chinese if that's even possible for an economical but good router...

Thanks...

If your looking for a light duty router then have a look at the trend t4 . Perfect for the lighter tasks and very easy to handle . It’s a 1/4” model variable speed. Be wary of the 1/2 “ routers until you are more familiar with using the smaller ones. Never use a cutter designed for use in a table in a hand held router -it will end badly. But most of all enjoy the mistakes you will probably make and learn from them - good luck 👍👍

yes but you will find it easier with the plunge base so you can set it up to do 2 or 3 passes until you reach your desired depth, the trend t4 is a plunge router with a 3,point turret stop . I’d probably say don’t spend a massive amount until you know what you need from your router .

You should grab the Elu especially if it's an old Swiss model, excellent quality and you can still get many parts. Mine is well over 40 years old now and though I have several other routers I wouldn't part with it.

I agree. I have a 96E too. Snap it up.

For serious workhorse stuff I also have a second hand Hitachi 1/2" that cost under £100 on the bay and is fantastically robust. Much better than the Trend that lives in my router table.

I have an old Stanley palm router with the screw down base. I almost never use it as plunge routers seem safer to me as the bit is always popped up when the machine is put down.

I’m not a fan or routers, and haven’t really researched them. However I have a good friend Sideways (already posted on this thread) who has. He has educated me and shown me the Elu range, superbly well built pieces of kit. I’ve bought two Elu routers, both fixed speed which meets my occasional requirements. The MOF96 is a great router. There is this one on eBay as a BIN as an alternative to the one already offered.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26583133...8mfAKrtRtW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I saw a Hitachi M12v on scumtree for £50 ........... I'd have bought it it if I hadn't long bought a Bosch 1600w for £50 to go with my 30 y o Bosch 1700W. All these are pretty much bulletproof.

my neighbour picked up a 177e for £50 ................... unused.

I would also do some homework, get some understanding of there usage and especially the direction of travel. A good book would probably be a great investment so at least when you start to use it you are not totally blind. This may also take you in the direction of getting one table mounted, can make life much easier for many task but at that point ask again because as I have found out the go to must buy router table is not neccessarily the best option.

I know I’m very biased, but if it needs anything bigger than 1/4” then get a spindle moulder Which will outperform any router for range of cutters, depth of cut, and do absolutely anything.

Latest posts

Back