• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Cheap but functional/quality router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can people stop mentioning spindle moulders, bringing that subject up makes me start looking for space to put one, yes I did like many others blindly follow the router table route.
I think it's you that mentioned the router table and that 'one would want one'. It's kinda putting me off buying a router as I'm trying to limit my power tools not buy more (and more bases for them).

I think it's you that mentioned the router table and that 'one would want one'.
but I also said it may not be the best option, so before going down that path stop and look at alternatives or ask further on here.

the go to must buy router table is not neccessarily the best option.

remember also that a 1/2" one will do most of what a 1/4" one will, do but not the reverse.
I disagree.
The handling of a 1/4" router is so much better than a 1/2" router that there are many tasks that the smaller router can do that the bigger one is too unwieldy to attempt.
Start with a 1/4" router and learn to use it freehand. It is quick to take multiple passes building up the depth of cut without overloading the tool.

You may add a 1/2" later but unless you regularly need to cut more than 30 mm deep, I bet you carry on using the 1/4" router the most.

(In response to Spectric above... wasn't fast enough)...

Aha... Yes, you're right. All I want to really do is to add to this shelving system (just checked the square and smiled to myself - not even sure how I managed all that without my dads supervision... maybe I had learnt something afterall). Building more shelves going down but this time not just cubby holes but also some sort of sliding drawer system.

Sounds complex but I think I've thought about making proper drawers long enough over the years (closest I've got so far is the ones I made for under the beds with castors under). Really don't want to add extra tools that I'd then need to make morw shelves for... lol...

I think the time has finally come to get a router. Maybe after logging into the forum one too many time but also cos I fancy making some proper grooves to slot the vertical pieces in as opposed to screwing and staggering them
Thanks...
Sounds like you want to rout dadoes across vertical panels to take horizontal shelves etc. ? It's easier said than done. You will need to match the router bit to give a snug fit for the shelf component and you will end up with various bits depending on the material used. You can make jigs to do this but you might want to match the router to one of the commercial jigs available. Lastly power is a consideration - the more the better. I would also check that the router can take 8 mm bits as you can then buy spiral bits which give a nice clean cut. If you save the pennies and buy an industrially rated router it will do all that you need for a lifetime. :giggle:

I disagree.
The handling of a 1/4" router is so much better than a 1/2" router that there are many tasks that the smaller router can do that the bigger one is too unwieldy to attempt.
Start with a 1/4" router and learn to use it freehand. It is quick to take multiple passes building up the depth of cut without overloading the tool.

You may add a 1/2" later but unless you regularly need to cut more than 30 mm deep, I bet you carry on using the 1/4" router the most.
I find the opposite. I use the large one probably fifty times to every one I use the small one. I started with a small one in 1984. Besides anything else the choice of cutters is much greater.

Spindle moulder……oooh a nice spindle moulder.
You can't do kitchen worktop joints with a spindle moulder though 😆
Oh, but it can do masons mitres! Just you have to use a ring fence or bearings and a very small block

I find the opposite. I use the large one probably fifty times to every one I use the small one. I started with a small one in 1984. Besides anything else the choice of cutters is much greater.
We'll just agree to disagree :)
I do suggest that the OP starts with the smaller machine whichever they end up preferring.

I have a Bosch POF500. Cracking little router for smaller tasks - single speed but light and easy to use.
I also picked up a second hand POF500A for under £30 on a well known auction site (the 500A has the dust extraction port).

I also have a 1/2” router for bigger tasks but the Bosch 500/500A are my goto routers.

Last edited:
I have the same one and two large Boschs - I very rarely use the small one, mainly because I'm using cutters the small one won't take. It much depends what we use them for, but I'd go for a large one purely to have a much, much larger choice of cutters.

I think around in forum is mentioned Katsu brand. Same as Makita.
as a begineer, evolving in a garage with no mains, i bought a Katsu: I am an occasional DIY, and the router failed a bit more than 1 year after purchase. warranty is 1 year, customer support unresponsive to emails, and phone is connected to a automated voice with no possibility to leave a message.
Makita has dropped price, I bought it, coming with a big plastic cases, better finish and quality, also the router base has a proper clamp that won't fail and leave your router dropping 1cm while routing ! Also bought the plunge base from Makita, quality is far better.
The only Katsu bit I would recomment is the guide bush set. I wish the price was lower last year, would have save me a lot of £ and headache going straight to Makita

ITS currently have a Makita router/trimmer in the sale; around £50 all in

Latest posts

Back