Cast iron fan light window- advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidConnelly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi my friend has just moved into a flat in Edinburgh and the fanlight window, which I think is cast iron needs repaired or replaced.
He is looking for advice as to where to get it done. Or suitable alternatives to replicate the design. It's about 6ft accross.
Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• received_480678637350389.jpeg
    received_480678637350389.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
It would be a crying shame to replace it with a modern alternative, from the picture it does not appear to be damaged so i would very carefully strip away all that paint from the frame and glass to see if there is any hidden damage underneath, then repaint it taking the time to mask the glass properly. I bet given some love and attention it could be good for another 100+ years,

Depends on where exactly it is . Looks like the new town area so may be listed. If, a big if , if you can find anyone in the LA to speak with the conservation section should be able to give a guarded answer.
Frame taken out and treated as said by Mark it will be good for a good long while. The local authority is difficult to find now as they still work from home so don't hold your breath. May be timber but may be cast. Looks ok. Repair insitu? Best wishes to all.

Whatever you do don't attempt to strip paint/putty with a blow lamp or it could crack the cast iron in unexpected places.
Scots are big on conservation and you should be able to get some good advice, which most likely will be to clean it gently, reglaze if necessary, paint.
https://www.buildingconservation.com/directory/ewht

Sorry folks my mistake. We need to make an entirely new one. The photo is of a similar one next door. See new photo. So how do we go about it?
20221030_090136.jpg

I work with some architects in Edinburgh that do a fair bit of work in refurbishment of old buildings in Edinburgh such as Drummond Place, Atholl crescent and Melville St etc. I can ask them where they source such items if you want. I seem to remember new cast iron parts being sourced for stairs on one job. Failing that depending on the extent of damage could it not be welded with the appropriate rods?

Judging by the photo, there looks to be a small crack in the bottom right lobed panel, also there are three tiny triangular glass pieces that are painted over, which could be an indication that they have been replaced with a piece of thin board or sheet metal. From outward appearances it looks to be in fairly good condition.

If this is all that is wrong, then it should be fairly simple to make some templates and have the glass cut. this will be thinner than normal, and hand blown. Ones best bet at getting this done would be a a stained glass place.

I would agree with others about not using heat to soften the putty, best stick to a strong commercially available paint stripper, that will also do the job. In short, if my guess is correct, the repair should be quite simple to undertake.

Ooops! just seen the last post............... In light of this I would try contacting some of the larger architectural salvage firms in the area. They often have associations with firms who repair and supply reproductions of the items they sell.

Probably model it in wood, make a mould and cast in aluminium.
There'll be somebody in Edinburgh used to doing this.

Last edited:
I work with some architects in Edinburgh that do a fair bit of work in refurbishment of old buildings in Edinburgh such as Drummond Place, Atholl crescent and Melville St etc. I can ask them where they source such items if you want. I seem to remember new cast iron parts being sourced for stairs on one job. Failing that depending on the extent of damage could it not be welded with the appropriate rods?
Thanks any info would be greatly appreciated

The proper answer is to commission an iron foundry, who will make a pattern and cast it. As a woodworker one could conceivably do the patternmaking oneself, but hopefully in consultation with the foundry so that the correct function is achieved.

The proper answer is to commission an iron foundry, who will make a pattern and cast it. As a woodworker one could conceivably do the patternmaking oneself, but hopefully in consultation with the foundry so that the correct function is achieved.
I would agree, unless you are lucky enough to find a salvage one the right size. if you take some accurate measurements and photos a foundry should be able to do that. As said the pattern needs to be made quite a bit oversize as iron castings shrink. I would google ornamental iron foumders or similar, there are still people about who do these sort of commissions, not going to be cheap though as a lot of work in making the pattern.

If none of the above suggestions work out or you want the cheapest solution buy a sheet of Tricoya MDF, cut the shapes you need out and stick them to a piece of glass (someone had to suggest it)!

I know not the proper way to do it but could look practically the same for a fraction of the cost.

Nothing like the one needed but this one I made was double glazed and had the glazing bars just stuck on.

fanlight.jpg

Back