Camvac exhaust silencer hoses?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Joined
4 Apr 2020
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
1,615
Location
Liverpool
These hoses look expensive for what they are. Especially as I would need two.

What diy hacks or other ways have fellow camvac users used for quietening the exhaust noise.

I can't put the whole thing in a box, as its on a stack system, camvac on top of cyclone on top of collection bin.
 
Buy one hose from Charnwood (cheaper than Record Power), cut in half, attach to Camvac, put socks over the ends, and direct away from work area
Duncan
 
They appear to be fairly standard diameter - The hoses from my Festool midi and WAP wet/dry vacuum cleaners fit onto it ok.
 
I just bought one and cut it in half and it is just as effective as having two full length ones.
 
From the advice above I tried the hose of my Lidl wet/dry vacuum, and yes it fits great over the exhaust port, but I found the back pressure from the hose to be too much and hampered the suction.

So I had a rummage around the garden, shed, and garage for bits and ideas.

Well, I've fashioned exhaust from what I had to hand. Namely a length of square 65mm down pipe and some 9mm ply off cuts.
Made a square, 300mm long ply manifold double inlet box that's closed at one end, this end is extended around 15mm, to rest on the lid, the other end is about 5mm beyond the rim edge, and a snug fit on the downpipe. Drilled two 68mm holes to match exhaust ports.
Then made a mitre on the down pipe, and glued up with super glue. This slides into the manifold box, and the vertical drop is 1550, to about 50mm off floor.
The sound reduction is fantastic and works with one or both motors on without need to do anything. And there is no back pressure, with one or both motors on , so suction is still great.

Come summer I might fit a diverter flap, which will allow me to exhast outside or inside the workshop.
Not put anything on bottom yet, as the warmth from the exhaust is great to warm the shop.

Will post photos tomorrow if of any interest.

Thanks for your inputs.
 
As requested;
Manifold box and square pipe
20240223_122542.jpg
Mitre the square pipe
20240223_122755.jpg
Mitre glued and black duct tape to re-enforce the joint
20240223_123256.jpg
Test fit, you can see how the extended end piece is supported on the lid, and other end on rim
20240223_122406.jpg

To impatient to paint, so black duct tape to beautify my Louise joints
20240223_123813.jpg

Cheers.
 
Hello @Sachakins


Yes, please post photos.

How did you determine whether there is or isn't any back pressure?
With the wet/dry vacuum hose being 40mm od, this is smaller than exhaust so natural back pressure caused by reduction in size.

You could tell that there was back pressure as the suction dropped a lot. Tried clearing a pile of sawdust of the bench, ok without hose exhaust from a few inches, with hose on exhaust I had to get into the sawdust and its took longer to collect.

With the my diy manifold, it was the same as without for same test.

I imagine if you used 63mm tube that should fit over outside of each exhaust port,then you would not get back pressure as no restriction in flow.
Cheers
 
With the my diy manifold, it was the same as without for same test.
Great idea.
It has never occurred to me to place a manifold directly on top of the Camvac.
With my current twin-motor setup, I have to manually plug or open one of the motor exhaust holes when switching from sanding/track-saw (single motor) to table/mitre-saw (two motors). With a robust manifold like yours, I could potentially add a blast gate to transition between modes more efficiently.

Thank you for the photos and the idea.
 
Great idea.
It has never occurred to me to place a manifold directly on top of the Camvac.
With my current twin-motor setup, I have to manually plug or open one of the motor exhaust holes when switching from sanding/track-saw (single motor) to table/mitre-saw (two motors). With a robust manifold like yours, I could potentially add a blast gate to transition between modes more efficiently.

Thank you for the photos and the idea.
Won't need a blast gate on the exhaust ports.
 
Won't need a blast gate on the exhaust ports.
I will need to test that. In single-motor mode, the twin-motor Camvac requires the inactive motor exhaust to be blocked; otherwise, there is a substantial loss of suction.
 
I will need to test that. In single-motor mode, the twin-motor Camvac requires the inactive motor exhaust to be blocked; otherwise, there is a substantial loss of suction.
I've not noticed that myself.
Would be easy to do though.
Use second exhaust as the single motor, with a gate between the two, then open gate when both in operation.

The other option would be to put a rubber flap on each exhaust, just heavy enough to lay flat, but open when exhaust on.

Easy ro do on my manifold if need, just a flap on each manifold inside the box.

So automatic whichever motor you use.
 
I've previously checked this with Record power, and they said there is no need to block one exhaust when only one motor is in use.
So no need for a gate.
 
I've previously checked this with Record power, and they said there is no need to block one exhaust when only one motor is in use.
So no need for a gate.
Hmmm. On my Camvac, the suction when using only one motor is significantly improved if I cover the outlet of the other motor. I found that the top from a coffee jar fits perfectly with just a minor modification with a sharp knife.
 
I found that the my used fish food plastic tubs fit perfectly also.
I'll give it a try when next one is empty 👍
 

Latest posts

Back
Top