Buying cheap tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when they designed parts for cars , 98 % off all parts had to last 6 months past warranty.
It is called durability testing, not for the customers benefit but to ensure the components are not over engineered and to see if any cost savings can be found. Also another concept is to design for manufacturing, again to reduce cost on the line but often at the expense of servicing and repairs, how many of us have needed some small component changed but the task of getting to it has made the labour cost much higher.

When making components in vast quantities every last penny can make a difference to the profit margins, so if you can shave a little bit of here and there it really can add up, but guess who pays in the long term.

I'm pretty sure I have an old B&D one I got from my dad still somewhere- the drill was dead, but so old they were a 'bronze gold' colour instead of the orange/black, so I have no idea of the age (he built his first house with them, and they were oldish then, and that was back in the early 60's...)
ETA I went looking for pics (as I have had some say before B&D were never anything but the black and orange colours before, and found this...
View attachment 164915
Even funnier, found this on Gumtree....
View attachment 164916
I'm pretty sure I still got the circular saw somewhere, either in the shed or the storage unit, and I remember him using the sander as a kid...
The attachments are the same as I recall but mine were a shade of blue 👍👍

A B & D one third sheet low speed orbital sander, excellent for removing a lot of material quickly especially with a piece of 60 grit attached to its bottom. Made in Middlesex, England.
I bought it second hand in 1972. Its done a huge amount of work and still going strong.
Whatever happened to B & D over the intervening years?
20230822_103237.jpg

Yes, whatever happened to . . .

I had my "whatever happened to" moment with King Dick tools - my last order was utter, utter dross that bore no resemblance to the website descriptions.

Looking at the website, which does not seem to have been updated in over three years, I suspect they have gone bust and are clearing the stock bins. I wonder who will buy their name to stick on something made overseas?

King Dick tools as well as another fav Lucas is now Chinese owned.......
Kittyhawk...
I built soap box carts as a kid.....I was lucky tho, my dad could get the old bearings from big printing machines....
very noisy tho.....
looking at ur cart with all those fancy parts n materials.....if u could only go back in time with em......lol....

A B & D one third sheet low speed orbital sander, excellent for removing a lot of material quickly especially with a piece of 60 grit attached to its bottom. Made in Middlesex, England.
I bought it second hand in 1972. Its done a huge amount of work and still going strong.
View attachment 164952
It's called rebranding. dewalt is a registered trademark of black and decker.
It is a Fortune 500 company in the USA. they also own Lenox, craftsmen and Irwin tools. i believe there cheaper black and decker line was rolled into craftsman.

I think sometime in the 1930,S Stanley works (Black and Decker) entered England by buying Chapmans.

Last edited:
It's called rebranding. dewalt is a registered trademark of black and decker.
It is a Fortune 500 company in the USA. they also own Lenox, craftsmen and Irwin tools. i believe there cheaper black and decker line was rolled into craftsman.

I think sometime in the 1930,S Stanley works (Black and Decker) entered England by buying Chapmans.
Stanley tools too.

Drills aren't bad a match for cheaper DeWalt tbh.

King Dick tools as well as another fav Lucas is now Chinese owned.......

Thanks. That explains the rubbish they sold me - and not cheaply. That was the last thing I bought from them.

I wonder what the business model is to take a name and churn out rubbish that people will only buy once before going elsewhere - I would have thought brand loyalty would have been more beneficial.

I try to avoid cheap tools now, having learned my lesson the expensive way. Even though I am not a tradesman, just a keen DIYer. I have a box in the corner of my shed with ssorted Power Devil and Nutool toola, all bu@@ered. There is a router, 2 angle ginders, a 24V cordless drill and a SDS drill, plus various hand tools. They are there to remind me not to buy such brands again.

These days I buy Makits mainly, some new, some used, and a few Hitachi. In terms of buying second hand, well they might not work or be near the end of their life if unlucky but I have been very lucky with everything I have bought. Basically, I would rather buy a used quality brand which might not last, rather than a cheap brand which almost certainly won't last, and be awful to use too.

K

View attachment 164952
I still have, and use the a B&D router from the 70s. Needs new beariings that are still available. Also a Wolf Saffire orbital sander used daily.

And here's another one.
Hitachi 7 1/4" skillsaw that I bought in 1976 and almost instantly regretted it. It is too small and had one of those flimsy pressed metal bases, largely rectified by overlaying it with a piece of 6mm aluminium.
Like the sander it has done a lot of work including cutting concrete with the appropriate disc - I understand that's really bad for them but the darned thing just refuses to die thereby denying me an excuse to replace it.
20230824_082501.jpg

Back