Building a router table, MOF001 or TRA001

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a video on YouTube of a lady called Susan Gardener, luthier and all round good egg, making a router table using one of the Triton's with the tool lift on top of the table. She is also notoriously tightfisted and has made it with mdf and a black and decker workmate.

I'd post a link for you but I don't have the permission. Just search using the info above.

ola c":3fyqia5n said:
"Usually"? A quick search on router tables (commercial as well as shop made) shows only a small fraction are enclosed cabinets....and everybody hanging routers on the end of their table saws, should they build a cabinet around it? I stand my point that extraction from below the table is a design miss on the Triton.

Had no problem with the lift winder fouling with the extraction.

I do. See pic through the winding hole. Obviously possible to solve with better plumber skills. Still think it's a bad placement of the extraction port.

Attachments

• IMG_20161220_212738-1587x1190.jpg
    IMG_20161220_212738-1587x1190.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_20161220_212849-1587x1190.jpg
    IMG_20161220_212849-1587x1190.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 738
paulrockliffe":3nmf0q3h said:
The extract port is in the right place for have use, which is what the extract shield is designed for.

Do you mean HAND use?

Mike

Check website, Tra100 in stock, off I go to Yandles, hands on, it really is the beast claimed by existing owners. The Kreg plate was in stock, but had a look at the tables as well. I decided on the Trend table, discard the legs and let the top into my workbench, perfect. Guide, fence, featherboards, dust extraction, all sorted in one.

Better check the Triton fits the table, "yes" says he who knows, "so you've got the Tra100, and want to buy the table"

No, I want to buy both table and router, "oh, the router is out if stock till mid January". :( :( :(

How to pop someone Christmas bubble. Came home with £430 I didn't expect.

Almost succumbed to the Trend T11, but £565 was just too far from the £300 budget, flexible though it was and not sure the bits can be changed above the table.

Phil

Thanks Mike, tried this morning, no reply. Probably holiday break.

Trend is calling me, trying to drag me back to Yandles on Saturday.

Phil

MikeJhn":2mxvcsgk said:
Dennis always seems to answer his e-mails: [email protected]

Mike
I have dealt with Dennis over a few years, He is first class.
Why go anywhere else.?? My latest purchase was an adapter to replace my old collet system on my TRA001
Timber

Hi Mike,
I'd have to say I'm not keen on the way the muscle chuck grips the bit, it appears it could be off centre. I went for the Axminster collet extension http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-ro ... GwodslwBAQ
as it grip the bit ensuring it's centred.
I think if the grub screw method really were better then routers would be made with that type of collet.
Just my two pence worth

Adam

I'v used mine with a very large panel raising bit and its fine, no off centre encountered, I have also used it with a very tall profile bit without any chatter, can't say the same for the supplied collet.

I think the reason routers are not made with that type of collet is convention and manufacturing cost of changing to a different fitting, but you can use these reasonings about anything.

Mike

I guess the manufacturing tolerances on your chuck must be very tight then.
I've not had any problems with any of the collets on my routers but I guess this could be luck because it can be a bit of a lottery with the quality consistency on these cheaper tools. It's a shame that even the expensive ones are often deemed as disposable, I'd much prefer something substantial that will last and can be serviced/repaired etc
Oh well the world we live in

In a router I can't mention in this thread for fear of reprisals, and with and this bit: https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/On ... a_702.html the run out was bad enough to make it unusable chatter marks all the way down the piece, in the Hitachi it was perfect and also my cheap Draper Expert's which are very accurate and solid.

Tolerance's can stack up against you on some and for you on others, I just seem to get them against me in most case's especially with those bits of kit recommended on here, :lol: I find that as with most things its personal and subjective, the only way to truly find out is to try them yourself. :wink:

Mike

Sheptonphil":1boz61gr said:
Almost succumbed to the Trend T11, but £565 was just too far from the £300 budget, flexible though it was and not sure the bits can be changed above the table.

Phil

I have the Trend T11 mounted in my home made table using the Ingra Magna Lock Insert Plate and I can easily adjust the bit height from above and easily change the bit from above the table; no collet extension required. I must say they've shot up in price since I bought mine a good few years back.

I also incorporated the Axminster dust extractor adapter into my build and for all the edge work I've done so far the result has been very impressive although I do want to add a blast gate to the fence extraction to preserve the performance when the fence isn't in use.

I started a build thread quite some time back but have only just completed it; I do have some phots of the finished article but not yet had time to post them.

Latest posts

Back