Building a router table, MOF001 or TRA001

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheptonphil

Scrumpy junkie
Reaction score
Hi all

I am making a router table to fit in the space on a Bosch xts10 XC table saw when the right hand extension is out.

I am going to use either a Triton MOF001 http://www.yandles.co.uk/triton-dual-mo ... 001/p13950 or TRA001 http://www.yandles.co.uk/triton-dual-mo ... 001/p13953 as

1 they are in my budget, max £300 inc any extra collets, mounting plates etc.
2 they can both be height adjusted through the table and both can have bits changed from above table with one spanner
3 both take 1/2" collets and 1/4"

Taking into account this is hobby use, will I see the benefit of the extra power, 2000w instead of 1400w. for the extra £40. Main uses will be for 12 mm and 18mm dado and groove cutting, rebating for box joints, and edge routing to 18mm board, mainly if not excluseivly on the table.

As the extension on the Bosch is unsupported, weight may be a factor and the TRA001 is 3lb heavier. I could make a support if it was really an issue and the benefits, if any, made the TRA a better bet.

Only router I've had till now is my 25 year old green Bosch. (Still works, but so underpowered as its only 1/4").

Not really looking for any other make, just a choice between these two.

Thanks for advice

Phil

I'd say go for the TRA001.
I did and i've not regretted it.
Its lovely and quiet, has all the features I think anyone could want.
More power is always better than less IMO, especially for only £40 more.
I can't find a better router for a table than a TRA001. The price and features make it pretty unrivalled in my opinion....

.....Puts helmet on and waits for attack :twisted:

Thanks for the replies lads.

I don't like skimping when I'm buying tools, neither do I like wasting cash, I think I was trying to justify spending the extra, rather than trying to cut corners.

You've both convinced me that the small saving will probably be regretted sooner or later, or at least I won't be regretting getting the more powerful one.

Off to Yandles Saturday then, I do like to get feely with tools before parting with cash, weakens the will if nothing else. Shame they don't do the Bosch saw as well, would have meant one less trip to Axminster, hard life huh!

I also have the TRA - its a bit of a monster for normal use but ideal for a table. While you're at yandles look at the triton insert router table - I'm building my table around that - its great, and the triton router clips straight into it.

Do take note that when using the Triton insert plate and clipping in a Triton router the lift mechanism is in a very awkward place, i.e. too close to the fence to adjust the bit if you have the fence already in place as you would with a bearing guided bit, if you haven't got the bit at the correct height you have to move the fence back to readjust the height.

Mike

Thanks again for replies.

I've put down for the Kreg insert for the Triton router. It seems to get good reviews and is predrilled for the TRA. At £43 it is a worthwhile purchase to base the table on, as it is to be installed in the saw table gap.

Having looked again at the MOF001, it would have cost £18 to add the 1/2" collet as it comes supplied with 1/4 and 8mm, (been told 1/4" bits are not suitable for table use) so the price difference is really only £20. Even more of a no brainier.

Mike, can the router not be turned 180 degrees on the base, to put the adjuster clear of the fence? It wouldn't be a deal breaker if not, just wondering.

Phil

Phil, I have the kreg insert and you can orient the router wherever you want :)

350278dae03e62a965f0170ce98675ff.jpg

bb9fcac9a5fba9da81d4e2482b478b00.jpg

Brilliant thanks Matt, can now see how it's mounted. Looks like you can adjust height even if fence is in place.

Exactly as I have imagined it turning out.

Will post pics when I have made it, along with pics of the mobile base and pillar drill table.

Sheptonphil":3tu4kvyj said:

Mike, can the router not be turned 180 degrees on the base, to put the adjuster clear of the fence? It wouldn't be a deal breaker if not, just wondering.

Phil

I did say if mounted in the Triton insert, and no if you mount it 180 degrees around the adjuster would be under the fence and even worse to try and adjust, however if mounting into a kregg insert you mount it where you want and ensure the adjuster is at the front of the fence, but still enable you to access the various switch's and lock's on the router undereath the table.

Mike

TRA001 - without hesitation. It's a beast, and once the spring is removed (explained in the manual) the above table raising and lowering of the height is excellent; as is its spindle locking feature.

MikeJhn":av3w19hc said:
Sheptonphil":av3w19hc said:

Phil

I did say if mounted in the Triton insert, and no if you mount it 180 degrees around the adjuster would be under the fence and even worse to try and adjust, however if mounting into a kregg insert you mount it where you want and ensure the adjuster is at the front of the fence, but still enable you to access the various switch's and lock's on the router undereath the table.

Mike
Cheers for the explanation Mike, seems the Kregg is a better option than the own brand at that rate for me.

Phil

Sounds like you've decided but just to add to it: I've got the TRA001 and never regretted it. I only use it in the table. It's great for that, but probably a bit of a beast if you weren't looking to use it in a table.

People often talk about being able to adjust the height from above and that is a great feature but as someone else wrote the spindle lock is also a fantastic feature that makes life easy. Just stick the spanner on and undo. No need to hold a spindle lock on the router etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems everyone who has one is well pleased, can't wait to get one and build the table.

WIP with pics methinks

PHIL

I have one two, for the money it's superb and a great router for the table. I've had one issue with mine though, the slides have gummed up and it's sat waiting for me to have time to strip it and clear the dust out. I suspect this is dust getting in via the gear track, or the seals aren't really up to being used upside down. When I rebuild I might see if there's something I can add to the legs to deflect dust away from the seals.

Hemsby":5mia82t5 said:
My post may be of some use.
router-table-build-t90615.html

I used the incra plate, to overcome the height adjustment when the fence is close I bought a spare winding handle cut it (hammer) and used copper pipe to increase the length. Works fine.

Another trick learnt from your build, t'ing off the dust extraction from underneath as well. I like it.

Some very useful pointers for the fence as well.

Thanks

Phil

One of the best accessories that Axminster have: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-du ... 0mm-502568 attached to the back of a router table that has a box built around the router itself and use the 63mm inlet for the fence, something like this: (Forth image) http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... les-717126 attached to a HVLP extractor its mezmorising to see how much goes through the fence and into the extractor, never cesses to amaze me how little debris is left on my table.

And to make life easy you can also buy the fence: http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... nce-508273 comes with all the fittings to fix it to the underside of your table, just three bolts per side page 16 onwards show the fitting of it. http://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downlo ... manual.pdf

Mike

Thanks for those links mike, some good products there.
It was interesting to see that axminster sell a cast iron UJK router table top. Its pricey at £310 but it would certainly make a lovely router table I think.

Latest posts

Back