Browsers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

Is everyone using Google or is there now something better, google is just being a pain with this message coming up far to often.

" Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later. " I think it is time to ditch google for something less big brother and not so demanding so recomendations please. I will add that I used to love Netscape!

I use Chrome, Safari, Firefox and MS Edge. Still prefer Chrome although Edge is pretty good.
Do you know why you are getting this message? Do you use a VPN? Usually caused by automated activity or a lot of searches or traffic hops

google is a website / search engine which can be accessed through any browser….

the browser is the software (firefox / chrome / edge)
chrome is made by google, but is not the search engine…

for an alternative search engine try Duck Duck Go - stores nothing

I had a lot of problems - almost overnight - with Firefox, particularly over YouTube videos. I tried a few others, but eventually settled on the Brave browser but still using google as the search engine.

Hi all

Is everyone using Google or is there now something better, google is just being a pain with this message coming up far to often.

" Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later. " I think it is time to ditch google for something less big brother and not so demanding so recomendations please. I will add that I used to love Netscape!
Have you tried Googling the error?

Gerry

I use Firefox on my phone, Android Tablet and on my PC, I use the Duck Duck Go search engine with all of them. I have a few privacy extensions working with them too.

We use Chrome for dev purposes only. I trust Google with my data the same way I trust the Conservatives to be a party of trust, moderation and economic reliability.

Firefox is the main browser with an awful lot of extensions to block as much data leakage as possible.

Whilst my children have zero worries about their personal data, I guard mine with pretty much the same zeal as a mother grizzly bear guards her cubs.

I have zero issues with Firefox on just about anything and we only use Chrome for dev because it is actually very good for that.

Hi all

If like me you are a real Netscape fan then try seamonkey. Integrated mail and newsgroups.

I've not seen that message before but I did get an email to similar effect from my isp years ago. Seems like the early chrome cast streaming stick opened up a router port that allowed your machine to be hi jacked for a ddos attack. So there is a slight chance, no certainty, that something untoward really is going on.

It would be worth downloading Malwarebytes free version (they nag you to upgrade or take a 14 day trial of the paid for one, reject) and doing a full scan. That will take a while so go have lunch while it runs. It will find anything devious that might be running in background.

You could also clear cache, cookies and history in chrome if you haven't already done so.

If you are running Windows 10 or later, Windows defender should be looking after things in background. You can go into settings-security and ask it to do a full scan manually, also worth doing.

I'm not saying you shouldn't change browser, but a bit of housekeeping first might help.

Hi all

Yes I have read the article and already have malware installed and it found nothing, Kaspersky seems to manage anything dubious and even occasionaly flags known sites so I am happy the Pc is clean. I am now trying this Duckgo search engine, I dont normally entertain things with daft sounding names but this is working without any issues. Switched back to google and within fifteen minutes it flaged the message again so now using duckgo without any issues.

Hi all

Hi Spectric,

You need to distinguish between the browser and the search engine.

Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Edge, Safari and Brave are all browsers.

Bing, Google, Yahoo and DuckDuckGo are all search engines.

You can use any of the search engines with any of the browsers.

Personally, I tend to use Brave with DuckDuckGo as together they leave a pretty small digital footprint.

If you do use DuckDuckGo you should be aware that you generally get fewer results than if you use one of the Big Brother search engines.

The question you need to ask yourself is - how paranoid do I feel today? cue X-Files music…..

These days I seem to stick with Firefox, might look into seamonkey though because I still think Netscape was a great product pushed out by dodgy microsoft tactics in around 94, ie bundling IE with windows. The biggest issue with Duck for me is that you cannot go direct to say page two or three of the search results to skip a lot of the pointless advertising biased results, I feel we are being burried in advertising that is just putting overheads on our systems for nothing.

I use privacy oriented browsers - currently Brave - alongside Chrome and Firefox.
Chrome is reliable but it's google and wants to hoover up your data and feed you ads.
The privacy projects sadly tend to die or get eaten up after a few years. Moving on from one to the next is something that you just have to live with.

Back