Which brand of air nailer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and me, it has been excellent. I also have a Lidl air stapler/nailer which is surprisingly good - and cheap.

I recently got one of the Lidl "Parkside" nailer/stapler which I also found surprisingly good - far better than I expected for £17.99. Only comes with 25mm & 32mm 'nails' and some staplers (as I posted about a few days ago in a "Heads up... " notification about new stock available this Sunday (today). Worth spending £17.99 on just to to be proved wrong about thinking it would be useless.

I recently got one of the Lidl "Parkside" nailer/stapler which I also found surprisingly good - far better than I expected for £17.99. Only comes with 25mm & 32mm 'nails' and some staplers (as I posted about a few days ago in a "Heads up... " notification about new stock available this Sunday (today). Worth spending £17.99 on just to to be proved wrong about thinking it would be useless.
Just to be clear though, I have the Parkside Air nailer/stapler not the electric version, I've never used the electric one.

Just to be clear though, I have the Parkside Air nailer/stapler not the electric version, I've never used the electric one.
Ah! Sorry... only noticed after I posted you mention an "air" nailer/stapler. I must admit to not having seen one of those (yet) in the store. That said... I was pleasantly surprised with the electric as a fist purchase/trial use and find it quite powerful set at max and quite hefty when "in hand".

I can echo one of the complaints above about a Senco - my 18g lasted about a year. For a pin nailer my favourite is the Grex, but it is pricey. I have an old Axminster branded one somewhere, but don't use it as it has no lockout to stop it firing empty. In my site box 22g pin, 18g and stapler are all Bostitch air guns.
I bought the Lidl electric the other day - it was 21 euros here I think. It is underpowered but I am glad I bought it.
Having been inspired by Peter Millard's battery powered Ryobi stapler, I bought a Draper one from Toolstation. (Ryobi was not available) It is heavy and clunky, but is useful when firing just a few staples/brads and it's too much trouble to lug an albeit small and light compressor up flights of stairs.
I like the idea of the Lignoloc - reminds me that many years ago I found - but never bought - 18g brads made out of plastic. Seems an excellent idea if you may risk cutting into one at any stage (Domino bits are expensive!)

I can echo one of the complaints above about a Senco...
Now the odd thing is we have used a Senco pneumatic clipped head paper collated nail gun over the past 18 months on a multiple skin diaphragm sub-flooring job. It has fired in roughly 300,000 (100 boxes) of a mixture of 50, 63 and 75mm (3.2 to 3.3mm shank) ring nails without missing a beat. The only spare part needed was a drive pin (because the guy using it continually hit embedded metal trimmers). Took Poppers Senco in Warrington half a day to locate a part for us, in the middle of lockdown, and the guy dropped it to me as he lives quite near to me. Other than a busted drive pin (which happens with site guns) it turned out to be more reliable than either my Hitachi gun or the older DW full head gun I used to have for exterior work

Last edited:
Now the odd thing is we have used a Senco pneumatic clipped head paper collated nail gun over the past 18 months on a flooring job. It has fired in roughly 300,000 (100 boxes) of 50, 63 and 75mm ring nails without mussing a beat. The only spare part needed was a drive pin (because the guy using it continually hit embedded metal trimmers). Turned out to be more reliable than either my Hitachi gun or the older DW full head gun I used to have for exterior work
That’s a lot of nails!

16,000 square feet of plywood. We generally did about 600 to 800 square feet a day (2 skins, 2 men in a team).

Murder on your knees, though!

Last edited:
I bough the Makita AF506 air nailer ... smoother, more accurate with a finer tip, depth control is superb and has a natty air blower built in to blow cr*p away instead of changing out for a blow nozzle occasionally...

Another vote for the Makita AF506. I've been using it to panel a sauna and other jobs...

Really accurate, repeatable, no jams... Really nice to use and gets in tight corners. Love it.

Surprised at Senco being rubbish, I’ve had 2 of them for the last 20 years no problems with them admittedly light use. Had an Aldi one that packed up recently for 10 yrs. bought a 2nd hand bostitch ring nailer from eBay, absolutely fabulous. as a result bought a small Bostitch 2in 1 stapler and Brad nailer to replace the Aldi one. Seems fine. I think the telling post was the professional flooring chap that posted earlier who’d used thousands of nails using a Senco nailer. I’ve done several thousand with the Bostitch nailer and have some justification to recommend Bostitch as well.

I've got an Axminster white 18g and a paslode f16 pneumatic ( 16g ) and both have been great. I've got a silverline 1st fix pneumatic which I had to buy whilst my dewalt 18v was being repaired and that is surprisingly good for the money.

We tried both Silverline and Clarke 1st fix guns a few years back. OK at low volume, but can't take bulk nailing and no parts backup if you break them.

Last edited:
Senco SLP20

senco-slp20-18-gauge-brad-nailer.jpg

Stock photo courtesy Google. Mine's a bit more battered and bruised, bought circa 1997-98. it was used daily, and highly intensively, and abused somewhat for the next 10 years or so.
Nowadays it's used a lot less frequently, but still going strong, never ever misfires. One of those tools that just feels good in the hand, is dependable, and just works.

I've got a makita 18g and the pinner. Both fantastic and so cheap that to me it wasn't worth buying a cheapo one.

Back