Cooling and vetilating a garage mezzanine roof space

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleplop

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

There is a lot of great advice on here about heating and ventilating spaces but I have a slightly different issue to address.

I have an timber clad oak framed double garage with workshop extension and in the main garage there is a mezzanine storage area covering 2/3rds of the garage floor space that is used for storage of load sof boat bits and so on.

I'm installing more solar panels on the roof and LiFePo4 batteries in the mezzanine but am aware that it can get pretty warm up there in the summer and cool in the winter.

The batteries are in a box that can have insluation slotted in for the winter and if required some basic thermostatically controlled little heat pads and for the summer I need to get some airflow running gable to gable to let the heat out.

I'm wondering what solutions for thermostatically controlled fans people might have used and any relevant ducting?

I am thinking something perhaps like this on the outside:
Stainless steel air cowl vent 180x180 mm for ventilation tube Ø150 mm

as a covered exit for blowing warm air out as the one gable end faces into the prevailing south westerly winds and I need to ensure no water gets in / through / around / under....

Then an inline fan close to it using 150mm ducting and I should be able to cirulate quite a lot of air.

I could perhaps put one in the other gable end as well with 3m of ducting up in the apex so it is drawing air from the mezzanine area, obviously it will just be a bit less efficient.
the mazzanine area is only 1.5m tall to the apex and 7m wide by 5m deep to give an idea of the areas. The remaining area of the garage without the mezzanine is then 7m by 2.4m and open from floor to apex.

The new solar panels on the south facing side of the roof will act as a signficant heat shield but I'm not sure how much it will help and want to be ready to whack in some additional ventilation as and when the weather warms up so I don't cause any issues with the batteries.

If the fan is not theremostatic I can potentially use a smart plug so I can wirelessly activate the fan / blower or add in another sensor and switch system as required - it would just be a hassle to climb up into the roof to turn aything on and off.

I'm really not sure what sort of power level of fan or cubic foot rating I should be thinking about - I guess it will be a bit suck it and see so if anyone has any thoughts / links to any useful kit or experience doing this would be much appreciated

Back