Single car garage - ventilation/extraction units

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JangoTrooper

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I work in a single car garage for my woodworking hobby.

Within my garage I work with softwoods and hardwoods. I have a compound mitre saw, bandsaw, Scrollsaw along with the usual diy tools etc. Along with dealing with these wood dusts I do deal with solvents for cleaning and finishing wood such as acrylic spray paints, sealers, waxes, water based stains.

I have a record power vacuum cleaner and extractor unit when I work in my wood workshop. I’m wearing a full head visor when working with saw dusts.

I have a closed window, single garage door with a side door to the rear of my garage.

Due to the winter times I tend to keep the doors shut for heating reason. As for the summer I keep the doors shut due to nuisance of flies, such as wasps and bees entering. The wasps and bees can create a hazard for me whilst working.

I’m finding due to working in my garage for a certain length of time in the day that the next day I’m suffering from headaches/migraines. This I believe is down to solvent, chemicals.

Besides the obvious solutions, taking regular outside breaks, (which I can get lost in the garage projects) and opening of garage doors (which lets nuisance flies in as already mentioned) along with my younger daughter entering which can cause a hazard to her along with a distraction to me thus creating a potential hazard.

Does anybody have these kind of similar issues?

What solutions have you come up with?

I believe a local exhaust ventilation (lev) may be ideal solution for me.

I have a flat pitched roof, some day I would like to replace the garage roof with a better pitched roof system.

Does anybody have any solutions? Pictures would be of great interest or items that create the solution and to where I can buy the item from. Even projects in this forum would be advantageous to bench mark off if possible.

Phew a lengthy post, sorry!

I'll be following the suggestions with interest, as I am suffering from more or less the same problem.

you may want to have a look at peter millard youtube video - and i think also rag n bone brown - where they have air quality monitors in their workshops

i think Peter millard, i think also change the ventilation filter system recently

i'll try and find links

Peter millard

rag n bone brown

Latest posts

Back