Brexit The Movie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I must admit I am all for leaving anyway I have to say that this movie makes for compulsive viewing. No dire threats, no armageddon just a plain statement of facts ( from the leaving point of view obviously) of the case. Can the remainders not put their case for remaining without having to resort to threats in a similar format giving us the facts warts and all! It would be nice to have a balanced arguement.

My phone won't play the movie but I agree that it would be good to see the facts from both sides. I guess the problem is that there are a lot of unknowns if we do exit such as trade agreements etc. I do think the stay campaign keeping implying that if we were to leave then trade would end etc. and I just don't buy that. There is a lot of scare stories being mooted but the fact is a lot of it is just unknown.

It would be nice to have a list of facts ie what we get out of the EU and what we put in.

It would be fine to list the unknowns as exactly that unknowns. So you have the facts and then all the other points tut need to be considered and evaluated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main problem for those tempted to remain is remain in what? Whatever the outcome of the referendum, the EU will be a much different place after it, so what has gone before to a large extent is irrelevant. They've already postponed telling us by how much our membership will increase to pay for "the migrant crisis". Someone is going to have to pay for Albania etc. and by someone read Britain and Germany (France?) - and that's without mentioning Turkey. They insist Turkey won't be joining in a hurry - but they've recognised Turkish as an EU language. Curious, that.

I was talking to a very well known political journalist at the weekend, who is quite well known for interviewing politicians. His off record view about the debate is that most people have already long since made up their minds about how they will vote and that there is very little evidence that the media, politicians or anyone else is having much influence in swaying it either way. He also suggests that most people have a very weak grasp of the economic arguments and very little knowledge, and not much desire to further that knowledge either. He surmised that most people will vote based on emotive reasons and that this (as an overall project) is not a very smart way to make such fundamental decisions.

It would be interesting (to me anyway) to know what the vote preference is by area, gender and age band. Forums like this are deeply unrepresentative of the population as a whole I would think. Only perhaps 20 members are vocal on the subject.

Yorkshire Sam":lyiso5qf said:
No dire threats, no armageddon just a plain statement of facts

Geez, I've never seen such a blatant piece of propaganda, So 1 minute in we see riots and a what looks like a Nazi rally. No scaremongering there. Did you really watch this and not feel you were being manipulated ?
This has just reinforced my view that we need to stay in, the outers have nothing but this?

AJB Temple":3ct4h25j said:
I was talking to a very well known political journalist at the weekend, who is quite well known for interviewing politicians. His off record view about the debate is that most people have already long since made up their minds about how they will vote and that there is very little evidence that the media, politicians or anyone else is having much influence in swaying it either way. He also suggests that most people have a very weak grasp of the economic arguments and very little knowledge, and not much desire to further that knowledge either. He surmised that most people will vote based on emotive reasons and that this (as an overall project) is not a very smart way to make such fundamental decisions.

It would be interesting (to me anyway) to know what the vote preference is by area, gender and age band. Forums like this are deeply unrepresentative of the population as a whole I would think. Only perhaps 20 members are vocal on the subject.

Very well put and undoubtedly true, Im sure most people will vote based on emotive reasons. I expect that is also true of general elections.

One point made in the brexit movie: 'if we vote to stay, another referendum wont be another 40 years or more' -thats certainly something to think about!

Something I wonder, if we leave, what impact will it have on the reduced eu and remaining countries?

We've already been shown what happens when we try to reform the EU from within, the EU isn't interested in any of the reforms that the UK population might vote for

The agenda is integration. Once integration is completed the issues will disappear. That's the plan. Of course, that means an EU in 20, 30, 40 years time that virtually no one in the UK would choose, but then how will we do anything about it then?

Jacob":1nw2gt03 said:
I'm for in. I don't know quite why we are having a referendum anyway - we can pull out anytime if we really want to.
Can't be bothered to watch the movie as it is unbalanced by definition.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrati ... pean_Union
We should stay in and work from within to improve it as necessary.

The reason for having a referendum is because we live in a democracy perhaps . (hammer)

phil.p":2me3ziw3 said:
"We should stay in and work from within to improve it as necessary."
Forty three years our politicians have been saying that, and getting precisely nowhere. :D
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04 ... ne-for-us/
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 50626.html
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/vide ... r-us-video

Could go on - the remain arguments are endless and pretty convincing.
Not sure what the Brexit arguments are except it seems to involve paranoia and anxiety. Basically "nay saying"on a big scale.
Anybody involved in any local community stuff will encounter "nay saying" - it's a primitive first response for those who aren't clear what issues are, or who don't want to take a chance - it seems safer (and decisive) to say NO.

Chippyjoe":k09c4klb said:
Jacob":k09c4klb said:
I'm for in. I don't know quite why we are having a referendum anyway - we can pull out anytime if we really want to.
Can't be bothered to watch the movie as it is unbalanced by definition.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrati ... pean_Union
We should stay in and work from within to improve it as necessary.

The reason for having a referendum is because we live in a democracy perhaps . (hammer)
Yebbut the decision to go in in the first place was democratic and if we want to pull out in the future we can. So why now a referendum? There was a reason but I can't quite remember what it was.

I cant see how we can pull out later if we want. It seems to me to be a once only chance to leave.

mind_the_goat":622r3pw6 said:
Geez, I've never seen such a blatant piece of propaganda, So 1 minute in we see riots and a what looks like a Nazi rally. No scaremongering there. Did you really watch this and not feel you were being manipulated ?
This has just reinforced my view that we need to stay in, the outers have nothing but this?
Have to agree with you completely.

RobinBHM":20u36qcy said:
I cant see how we can pull out later if we want. It seems to me to be a once only chance to leave.
Not so. Read the small print. Wouldn't be easy , but then it won't be now if we decide to quit.

RobinBHM":yd130fam said:

UK can pull out any time with 2 years notice. BUT as now it will take 10 years to unravel and rebuild outside the EU.
I'm for remaining. The Brexit film, as far as I watched, was citing 47 laws for a bathroom - I can understand that you need standardisation so that UK manufactures can sell to the whole EU and benefit from selling to the whole market on one production run.

EU legislation is lead a lot of the time by UK Govt and companies, been very close to it at one time.

Brian

phil.p":11s3mw7k said:
"Without the EU, travelling across the continent could become more troublesome"
That's not scaremongering, of course. :D
You mean you are frightened if immigrants?
On the whole they seem to be a good thing - their country's loss is our gain.
The out of EU immigration issue would be better dealt with by the EU en masse rather than state by state. Share the burden - in so far as it is a burden - historically immigration has almost always been a huge economic benefit.
I look forwards to immigrants arriving in our village. So far we have a handful (dozen or so total) of Germans, Dutch, Polish, Romanian, French. All lively bunch of hard working intelligent people highly welcome. We also have a few Scots, Welsh, Irish, people from Yorkshire. :roll:
By way of balance there seems to be a great number of Brits living /working abroad. Millions nationally. God elp us we don't want them all sent back here - moaning about the weather, the food and wine!

Back