Bosch, Makita or Dewalt 12” mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mynamehere

not in my shed
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to upgrade my cheapo mitre saw for something that is and stays accurate once set up and has a 12” blade.
My searches on t’internet have left me with 3 options:
1- the Bosch GCM 12 GDL
2- the Makita LS1216 (or 1219)
3- the Dewalt DWS780

Once it’s installed indoors it’s not going to move again, so weight is not an issue.
Checking the various reviews there were some complaints about the Makitas sliding rails, and some customers complained about the Bosch system to be a bit sloppy.
There’s not much difference in prices, but this is one of them tools that you only want to buy once...

Anybody out there with any of the above saws thatvthey can recommend??

Cheers,

Ferenc

I had the same dilemma. Do a search here for my review. Bosch is excellent, durable and accurate. I have done literally thousands of cuts with it now at all angles (roofing with green oak). Superb tool.

Thanks for the reply, I’ve already come across your review.
I tend to lean towards the Bosch, but I’m a bit weary of the “sliding” mechanism.
Some reviewers said the saw wandered during cutting, but that could be caused by a number of reasons...

I don't know anything about the Makita, but did test the Bosch and Dewalt saws before making my purchase. Both were about the same price, so cost was not a factor for me. It came down to design features and availability.

From my limited experience with the Bosch, which had been well used by a carpenter, I didn't see any sloppiness in the slide and was quite pleased with the movement and repeatability. Likewise, the Dewalt was equally smooth; however, I preferred the LED illumination on the Dewalt over the LASER on the Bosch. The LED casts a crisp shadow of the blade on the work piece, so there is no mistake where the kerf will be and adjusting for left or right cuts couldn't have been easier. I didn't like the Bosch system, and the owner told me he didn't like it either and when it burned out, he didn't bother replacing it.

If space is an issue, the Bosch (to me) is the clear winner between the two and I would have learned to live with the LASER. However, since space was not an issue, I bought the Dewalt DWS780. At the time, I couldn't find a stocking distributor for the Bosch, so the scales tipped more in favor of the Dewalt. A year later, I am still happy with my purchase.

I agree the laser on the Bosch is hopeless. Outside it is invisible. Fine indoors in a workshop.

Sliding mechanism is bomb proof. Tool is repeatably very accurate.

In the end it is just a circular saw. They will all do the job, and all will benefit most from am upgraded blade. Mine has been worked hard on hardwoods. But I expect all three contenders would be fine. My order of preference was Bosch, Makita, De Walt. if Festool had made a 12" saw I would have bought that as the compound adjustment is excellent, but cutting depth was too small for my use.

I was looking at the Bosch and the Dewalt in Axminster a while ago. Pulled them both out to full extension and there was lot less deflection in the Dewalt. Not bought either yet so cant comment as a user. Best to test before you buy IMO as I am sure no two saws from any brand will have exactly the same tolerances as each other. Ones mades when the tooling is new and perfect and the next when it ready to be changed. Hope that makes sense.

On a makita 10", we've had the laser unit fail 3 times in 8 months. Useless. First time under 30 days they replaced the whole machine. After 30 days they want the machine back to repair. Can't afford the down time so the laser's now bust. Lousy design anyway - relies on a battery box with two pen cells instead of a power supply.

You could take a look at the Metabo's too ...

The wood whisperer did a comparison bosch v festool which you might want to watch on Youtube. The laser on my unit - festool - is pointlessly faint ditto my drill press but I could care less.

Thanks for all the replies,

The saw will only be used indoors, so visibility shouldn’t be an issue.
I just watched the Bosch v Festool video and the Bosch came out shining!

I’ll have to go to a shop where the saws are on display and get a bit of a feel for them.
From reading more reviews it seems like the Makita is a bit hit and miss if it performs like it should, alao don’ Like the battery operated laser.

Starting to get a preference for the Bosch, but I will have to have a look at the Dewalt first...

The price for the Bosch looks to be best on ffx at £661, I’ve never dealt with them before, anybody know if they’re any good?

Cheers!

Ferenc

FFX are very competitive in the market, usually I go there after I have made up my mind what I want, always fast delivery usually next day for me, but then I am in Kent where they are based.

Mike

I took advantage of a 10% off (up to £50) voucher and bought the Bosch a fortnight ago from FFX's eBay shop. £617 for the 230v version, which is less than some people want for their used saws.

just been to the local shop to see what was on display, they had the Dewalt, the Makita 1216 and the new Makita 1219 on show, sadly they don't do Bosch.
I had a good look at the Makita 1219 as well and I have to say that it looks and feels pretty good!

Decisions decisions....

The Makita is the only one that is made in England. Not sure if that is a consideration for you but it is always something that I think of as a positive.

I really should do a review of this one- only had it a couple weeks.
e7d840e85f68eb15e4bc068976c2a6b6.jpg

It's the ls1216 and replaces a 13 year old makita chopsaw. In short it's amazing. Should have bought a new one years ago. Smooth sliding rails and angle adjustment. Extraction is like the previous saw,not very good but I think that's the same for most chopsaws.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mbartlett99":1sgktgy6 said:
The wood whisperer did a comparison bosch v festool which you might want to watch on Youtube. The laser on my unit - festool - is pointlessly faint ditto my drill press but I could care less.

Wood whisperer has now binned the Bosch and gone for (IIRC) a DeWalt chop saw.

The Makita ls1219l is the newer version of the ls1216, for dust extraction it has 2 connections and a bigger "skirt" on the entry to the blade guard than the other saws.

As this model is pretty new there aren't too many reviews on t'internet yet.

At these prices though I want to make sure that I won't be disappointed!

The extraction looks much better thought out then this one. On this one some of the dust goes airborne but is sucked up reasonably quick by an extractor I mounted on the bottom of the cupboard.
8942859ca3368928e6692d1246c4673c.jpg

Luckily this stays in the workshop. I might try and find an exploded diagram of the ls1219 to see how they've improved the extraction. I'd have probably gone for the newer one based on the extraction alone !

mynamehere":wd6tchn0 said:
What kind of extractor have you got kooked up to your saw?

Just a shop vac or a chip extractor?
It's kind of neither
7ce33d4118dc7a821afa1829a18aff22.jpg

I think Axminster sold it as a fine dust extractor. I've kept the 4 inch hose right to the saw. Emptied around 6 inches of dust from it this morning so it must be doing something.

I’ve got the SIP version of same extractor, i’ve put a vortex separator on a steel drum before the extractor though, keeps the filter a lot cleaner for longer!

Just need to pick the right saw now to hook ik up to it...

Back