Bosch GCM 12 GDL Axial-Glide Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
What's your opinion on these Bosch GCM 12 Axial glide mitre saws over the sliding versions, please

Over the last 20 plus years i have owned, used and abused most makes of mitre saw, following a workshop refurb i opted for the Bosch axial and i have to say it is the best saw i have ever owned it was accurate stright from the box the supplied blade is fine, its only slight let down is the dust collection or lack of it.
The only mod i have done is to do away with the twin lasers and fitted an LED shadow light.
If it broke tomorrow. I would buy an exact replacement stright away

It’s currently on offer as part of Prime Days on Amazon. Just need to convince Mrs Jesmona that we “need” it..

I have had the slider version for a number of years. An excellent saw which requires space behind for the slider. Let down on mine by the blade not being parallel to the bars (not adjustable) giving about 3mm sideways movement over the full slide if the blade is at 90 degree to the fence. I did not notice until well out of g'tee. Looking on the Bosch Owners Group it is not an uncommon problem and if my memory is correct a similar problem can occur on the axial glide so check while under warranty.

It’s currently on offer as part of Prime Days on Amazon.
£760 for the 230 volt version

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Prof...eywords=bosch+mitre+saw&qid=1689067498&sr=8-5
But for some reason they want £879 for the 110 version which is no cheaper than other sellers and could have been tempted.

Bosch GCM12GDL 110V 110v 12in Double Bevel Gliding Mitre Saw £879

This would have been great if they had any stock

Bosch GCM12GDL 12in Dual Bevel Glide Mitre Saw (110V) at £629

@Chief Sawdust Maker what shadow light did you fit ?

I'm a green and black hater but there 120 chopper is real hard to beat. is just rock solid and perfectly set. it is definitely the most accurate chop I've ever used .it's that solidity. these big saws are really quite wobbly. grab the head on your bosch saw and wobble. any movement? if yes then it can't be accurate.

£760 for the 230 volt version

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Prof...eywords=bosch+mitre+saw&qid=1689067498&sr=8-5
But for some reason they want £879 for the 110 version which is no cheaper than other sellers and could have been tempted.

Bosch GCM12GDL 110V 110v 12in Double Bevel Gliding Mitre Saw £879

This would have been great if they had any stock

Bosch GCM12GDL 12in Dual Bevel Glide Mitre Saw (110V) at £629

@Chief Sawdust Maker what shadow light did you fit ?
Hi it was a sewing machine light from that well known river store

The switch and driver are in one unit which i hot glued on to the handle the light unit is again hot glued under the guard with a small strip of ali at the front of the machine, the cable is fairly thin and secured with blobs of hot glue

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X11FPZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Its been fitted for coming up to 2 years and gets a lot of use and requires no adjustment if a blade is changed

Dewalt fit one to one of their saws which you can buy as a spare which i did consider but it was £40ish and still required alteration where as the one i brought was about £10

I basically found this on the tube and followed it so cant take any credit

Hope this helps

Had one for years. Dead on accurate. Mine lives on the Bosch stand. I did a review of it on here somewhere a few years ago. Mine has had hundreds of hours of use cutting mainly oak, has been dropped twice (stand tipped up) and never gone out of true. The original Bosch blade is good through I use various (slight pain to change blade). I get on fine with the twin red lasers. Highly recommended saw. Bombproof and the motor is excellent.

I've also used the larger Festool. Capacity not as good, but easier to set up double bevel cuts and easier to use left or right handed, whereas if you need to use your left hand to work the Bosch (because you need the workpiece on the right) then it's a bit awkward. If you want to do trenching cuts then you will need to organise a fence spacer. Dust collection even on Festool vac is poor (Festool much better) but not dissimilar to any big saw of this type without a hood (no use for me as mine gets shifted around a lot).

Prime day is disappointing this year.

I held off buying a makita mitre saw thinking they may be reduced but they aren’t.

I’ve watched a lot of mitre saw reviews recently and many say the Bosch axial saws don’t stay true.

Obviously it depends what you are doing but I often wonder how many people actually need a 12" saw, I imagine your average diyer hardly ever needs the huge capacity that these things have, yes the odd time you might but I'm sure 99% of the time people could get away with a smaller saw.

Prime day is disappointing this year.

I held off buying a makita mitre saw thinking they may be reduced but they aren’t.

I’ve watched a lot of mitre saw reviews recently and many say the Bosch axial saws don’t stay true.
Which model were you considering?

forgot to mention the weight of the bosch saw is amazing. really it's a 2 man lift! prior to the gdl I had 10gcm slider that was great had many good features. but it was also to heavy for me. the festool is a few kg lighter but I could do with a few more!

Obviously it depends what you are doing but I often wonder how many people actually need a 12" saw, I imagine your average diyer hardly ever needs the huge capacity that these things have, yes the odd time you might but I'm sure 99% of the time people could get away with a smaller saw.
Spoken like a true Yorkshireman 👍😇

Hi Kev, can recommend Howe Tools in Ipswich. Very competitive price and great service. I rang them up rather than just ordering online and got a few more quid off as it was my first order with them and they were cheaper than Amazon too.

Back