Bobby's new build thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam9453":psdsfjuu said:
doctor Bob":psdsfjuu said:
Adam9453":psdsfjuu said:
Looking really good Bob.
I'm keen to see what you do with your own kitchen

Need a decent kitchen company I suppose, know any?

I hear wren have a sale on :wink:

I've just been helping the in laws moving their kitchen around in the house they just bought. Today's work was a quick fix so it's usable until they're ready to redo the kitchen properly.
I'm trying to encourage them to go for an unusual kitchen design as I have some interesting ideas I need a Guinea pig to test on.
Lol

Talking of Wren ,one of my new neighbours has just had one delivered ,good luck. When he first bought his house and started work on it, he was all talk of getting a proper kitchen. He must have run out of money or lost his mind as he has now had a Wren delivered. I'd have put it straight in the skip where it belongs lol

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

lol I was only joking about Wren, I have to agree the bits i've seen didn't look great. Plus I thought they were expensive for inferior quality when you compare them to some of the other budget kitchen ranges.

We bought our first house coming up for two years ago and one of the first things we did upon moving in was gut and re-do the kitchen completely. We were on a virtually non-existent budget so had to get the kitchen as cheap as practically possible. We ended up choosing one of wickes off the shelf (literally) basic kitchens and I have to say I was expecting the worst but was actually pleasantly surprised. We put the little money we did have in the budget into decent appliances and the overall look turned out really well. It did amaze me though how many fixings etc were missing from the wickes kitchen. I have thousands of screws etc so it wasn't an issue for me but it would be very frustrating for others i'm sure.

Having seen pictures of some of the kitchens Bob has built and installed in his customers homes, I'm very intrigued to see what he goes for.

Adam9453":tlgxockm said:
lol I was only joking about Wren, I have to agree the bits i've seen didn't look great.

Yeah don't worry I did realise you were joking.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

First coat of paint on the outside, base coat is white, we are going a really really light shade of grey.
IMG_1978_zpsimkhkrtb.jpg

IMG_1977_zpsm54vbbak.jpg

IMG_1976_zps0mmisvv5.jpg

IMG_1975_zps0syeqctk.jpg

IMG_1974_zpsy2fks0jd.jpg

doctor Bob":i3k3g0tm said:
Jake":i3k3g0tm said:
Looking good, as ever with new-old builds a decade or two will soften it greatly

Not tempted to spend the extra on krypton fill? Reduces the sections so much.

Looked at the option Jake, but as always budget is a factor, a few grand here a few grand there, soon adds up.

Fair enough Bob, that's why I should never build a house.

Tiling coming along nicely, downstairs done throughout. Bathrooms will be mainly tiled throughout, the floors are done and some walls.
Just working on all the bathroom furniture at the moment, going dark patina oak. So far I have the kitchen and utility ready, half the study, 90% of the bathroom stuff, Need to do bedroom furniture and a couple of sliding doors for the kitchen openings.

IMG_1992_zpsh8hddtye.jpg

IMG_1993_zpsnf19tg7y.jpg

IMG_2011_zpsuijqgxcx.jpg

Think I'm going to go with Bianco Eclipsia in the kitchen and bathrooms.
I'm a great fan of granites, I fing composites too uniform.

Bl_00116EBIA_5637322874_zpsgfeiuryb.jpg

Very nice - I would like it in a bathroom but maybe to fussy for a kitchen to my tastes but you're the expert and its your choice.
I thought the latest trend in kitchens was the heat blasted rough finish?

Rod

Harbo":1zyu8ilk said:
I thought the latest trend in kitchens was the heat blasted rough finish?

Rod

We've done a few with this finish, had nothing but issues with them, staining limescale build up etc

That would certainly be no good in our area - very hard water - it's bad enough on our smooth shiny granite.
"We" went for a slightly speckled one but our kids think it's a bit blingy - we chose one of the least blingy types so don't agree.
I do like your "natural" marble swirl types though - very "Italian"

Rod

No skills":23d4q8fx said:
That's a nice slab of stone.
Face frame shaker kitchen?

Sort of, Flat face frame with internal chamfer, shaker door with chamfer on the top and bottom rail. 50mm quadrant posts, 2 tone painted with a big tall bank of walnut furniture with a 1100mm built in stainless steel american fridge in the centre. Skirting rather than plinth.

Todays images, some of the windows are now uncovered, scaffold coming down, drainpipes up.

IMG_2026_zpsejwosbrj.jpg

IMG_2023_zpsmd5utmvn.jpg

IMG_2021_zpspnqn6rgo.jpg

RossJarvis":3kioy5w0 said:
I really like this bit, what's the material, technique? It looks like large tiles laid on in a brick bond.

Just 600 x 300 tiles, 2mm gap, light grey and dark grey. Laid as stretchers.

Not going for white guttering and downpipes?

Pete

How much of this are you doing yourself Bob and how much are you getting others in for? I also just had a look at the website for your kitchens and I'm very impressed.

Racers":2ij9gl6y said:
Not going for white guttering and downpipes?

Pete

We did a little tester early on and I actually prefered the look of black, not every ones choice but fine by me

BearTricks":2ku8tgv7 said:
How much of this are you doing yourself Bob and how much are you getting others in for? I also just had a look at the website for your kitchens and I'm very impressed.

I'm doing very little really:

Sourced windows and doors
sorted Ground source heat pump
Total control of Kitchen / utility / bathrooms / bedrooms / study furniture and hardware
Some of the second fix woodwork
Garage was organised by me.

Rest is on a fixed price from a builder, we are about 10K over at the moment, all on extras

We also had the patio and garage done at the same time (we were going to do them at the end if we had any money left) as they can then be 0% vat and it made sense whilst diggers were on site.

Back