Blanket Chest Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
My brother and myself have decided to make a blanket chest as a joint portfolio piece. We have alot of cherry in the workshop so we decided to make use of this.

This is the design we have come up with

BlanketChestSketch.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/b ... etchUP.jpg

The initial dimensions would be 1050mm wide x 480 high x 417 deep

I was wondering what people thought of the design. I have used AB walnut for the panels as i have quite abit of veneer, do you think it it a good combination of woods? Does cherry go particulary well with a certain type of other wood?

Are there any other little touches i could add? i was thinking of using some walnut stringing in more of an interesting pattern on the top as opposed to
the square pattern on my initial sketch.

comments would great
regards
b_h

Heres a couple of pictures of one I did recently. The top has profiled edges chamfered down at 45 degress to make it look "more interesting".

Adam

57831294.jpg

57831289.jpg

57831293.jpg

57831287.jpg

And one of the construction...

56039803.jpg

[/img]

sorry to wade in on yout thread b_h (I really like your design), but question for Adam:

How did you trim the tops of the four posts?

I sawed them off using a Japanese pullsaw.

Got a piccy somewhere but can't find it currently.

Ahh got it. Only a small image, but shows what I'm doing.

64980632.jpg

Adam

Looks good to me, b_h - speaking as someone who's never made one :oops: On the other hand I have used walnut and cherry together here. Sheer joss on my part - it was what I had - but I think they make a good combination. If it helps at all, it looks rather more like this now.

Cheers, Alf

thanks Adam, I thought it'd be as simple as that. Not sure my hand would be steady enough to do the same tho :roll:

I'll throw in my 2p's worth. This is clearly a going to be an impressive piece and would suggest the following.
American Black Walnut and Cherry would almost certainly look good together, however I would say that from a constructional viewpoint, veneered panels would look wrong, in my view, in a piece like this. Loose framed panels were originally developed in the Middle Ages as a way of using solid timber (the only thing available) in a wide expanse, the panel moving within the frame according to relative conditions. Modern materials today, such as ply and mdf, which have negligable movement, mean that a frame/panel consruction looks a little odd with these materials - there simply is no constructional reason to do it.
If a framed and panelled construction is required, then I feel its much better to do it in the solid, either all Cherry or all ABW or a combination. If tho', you like the effect of a veneered panel in a frame, then more power to your elbow....however when its finished you may look at a little bit sideways at it and think.....Hmmmmm :-k :-k

Latest posts

Back