blade storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
hi I am ordering some more blades from mikes and decided it is time got round to having some proper blade storage

even though I been making and selling items for a few years I just still have packets lying around

I seen a few ideas but wondered if we could have a fashion parade of your ideas 8) 8)

I don't want anything fancy just something simple to make , I seen test tubes or strident tubes mentioned before

any ideas would be great thanks mark

I have a carosel I made on the lathe and it holds 12 tubes. Some scrollers just have the test tubes with end caps and attach a sticky label to each one stating the type and size of blade on them. I know some just have a block of wood with holes drilled into it to hold the loose blades. The problem with this is if you knock it over it will be almost impossible to sort the blades out. I feel having the blades in tubes with caps is the safest idea.

I use 6" test tubes that I bought off amazon, they come with a choice of lid colours, and I made a rack for them that fits into the brace on my shed wall - easy and cheap. I also made one with 3" tubes for my mini drill bits, its in a block that sits on shed window :)

Block of wood with 20 holes and 6" test tubes off Ebay. I cut the blade info from the packet and tape it to the tube with clear tape. I've settled on 4 blades, so only 4 tubes are used, the rest are for show. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4254.JPG
    IMG_4254.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,868
thanks for your replys and photos , yeah your type will do me martin I got some bits of wood knocking around and j mac the test tubes are the cheapest I have seen only comes too 3 quid for 8 including postage

martin what diameter did you drill hole ? looks like I may have to get a drill bit and 16, 17mm twist drill bits aren't easy to find locally i might be able to find a router cutter that will suit

mark

I must have drilled the holes 16mm, Mark, as they are a bit tight. I wanted it that way so the tubes wouldn't drop through when I picked the stand up. You could use a bigger drill and not drill all the way through, but then you would want a deeper hole so that they don't fall over too much. I used a drill for metal as the only wood drills I have are a couple of small ones from Aldi that seem to be made from wax.

Hi Mac1012,

First thing I thought of was use Martinka`s Pencil bench as a spare
blade holder.
then I thought silly me. just one slip or a little vibration. and all my
blades on the shed floor.

Oh well back to the drawing board...........geoff3........

There again might work if made on a larger scale. with test tube`s

Hi, as many have already stated test tubes work perfectly and dirt cheap off fleaBay, i made a little holder with mine from some scrap dowel and pine laying around, means i can move them without them all falling out...being clumsy and all that! :shock:

Attachments

• testtubeHolder.JPG
    testtubeHolder.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 1,805
mac1012":2972f395 said:
the test tubes are the cheapest I have seen only comes too 3 quid for 8 including postage

Mark, look at his other stuff for sale. I bought mine from him and they were 3.19 for 10 including post. I bought two lots and the second lot had an extra tube thrown in.

ok guys thanks for advice and tips , I think for now I going to see if I can make something without spending any money :)

I have some 40mm thick pine bits left so my idea is I going to glue sandwich three pieces togetherso to make a depth of 120mm and make it fairly wide and drill a series of 10mm holes deep into wood so there will be just a bit of blade showing above wood then put some sticky labels on front with size on front of holes and blue tack to bench at side of my machine so when I am in the throes of production I can just reach over and grab a blade

mainly because I don't want to spend money on a drill bit I prob wont use again :)

and I trying to be a bit frugal (tight wad )

it may not be the best looking blade holder but hopefully it will serve its purpose for a while 8)

martinka":n41n2cqm said:
Block of wood with 20 holes and 6" test tubes off Ebay. I cut the blade info from the packet and tape it to the tube with clear tape. I've settled on 4 blades, so only 4 tubes are used, the rest are for show. ;)

Great idea Martin, just had a set of these delivered as a result of seeing this.

Alex

Jmac80":1i9x71ef said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wedding-favours-Test-tubes-for-shots-150-x-16mm-plastic-tube-Top-20ml-Vol-/111266431543?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item19e7ff0237

these look ok, cheap too.
Might go with them and use different colour lids for metal, wood etc
Ordered Thank you :D

Geoffrey":2zzlknnh said:
Jmac80":2zzlknnh said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wedding-favours-Test-tubes-for-shots-150-x-16mm-plastic-tube-Top-20ml-Vol-/111266431543?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item19e7ff0237

these look ok, cheap too.
Might go with them and use different colour lids for metal, wood etc
Ordered Thank you :D

Got my ones next day in the post :)

[attachment=0]001 (600x800) all much the same

Attachments

• 001 (600x800).jpg
    001 (600x800).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 697
  • 001 (600x800).jpg
    001 (600x800).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 697