Band Saw Blades & TPi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rewound

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a one inch wide band saw blade that is 10 tpi. I have quite a lot of hardwood that 6 to 8" thick x 12" long and I am wanting to cut 8mm boards from it.

Is 10 tpi just too many and will it lead to clogging and poor cutting. ?

if this is the case and I have no other use for the blade, could I grind off some of the teeth and make it 5tpi or even 2.5 tpi - or is that a mad idea ?

What size is your band saw ?, most smaller machines i think would not be able to apply enough tension to the blade, as 1" is pretty hefty and will require a fair bit of tension. I use a 3tpi for ripping/re sawing on my machine and the widest blade it can handle is 3/4". You could give Ian at Tuff saws a ring or email and he will be able to advise you what would be suitable for your needs:)

I see you've just been looking at 'Bandsaw blades & tpi'. Wise move, I hope it's guided you in the right direction (as has Mark above).
Grinding teeth out  is a mad idea. It'll take an age and is likely to create stress raisers leading to fatigue failure. The gullets will be too small leading to burning and the small teeth will make it a very slow process.
AND you'll have ruined a unable 1" 10tpi blade which you will find a use for in the future.
Brian

I have a one inch wide band saw blade that is 10 tpi. I have quite a lot of hardwood that 6 to 8" thick x 12" long and I am wanting to cut 8mm boards from it.

Is 10 tpi just too many and will it lead to clogging and poor cutting. ?

if this is the case and I have no other use for the blade, could I grind off some of the teeth and make it 5tpi or even 2.5 tpi - or is that a mad idea ?
10 TPI is too many teeth for ripping 6 - 8" thick material, even if it's only for short cuts, but multiple pieces as your query suggest.

I wouldn't recommend grinding off teeth to reduce the tooth count because even what few teeth you leave behind will be small and you're not creating a proper gullet to carry away dust chips. From an engineering perspective, and I'm no engineer, I suspect grinding away teeth would make a mess of whatever the engineers had built in to the blade to start with - flutter, heat build up in the wrong place, stress of some sort, etc. Instinctively I'd say it's a bad idea that might possibly lead to something unpleasant in use.

I'd say just buy a new 1" blade with just two to three teeth per inch. They're not overly expensive and you get something designed to do the job you're asking it to do ... assuming you're bandsaw is capable of properly tensioning and running a 1" wide blade, which I assume to be the case. Slainte.

machine is rated for 6 to 30mm blades

What would I ever use a 10 tpi 1 inch blade for ?
I can only think of long straight cuts in plywood or the likes - but I have a perfecly good table saw for that.

Back