Cutting 10 mm Polypropolene

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lampost46

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen. I have a job running at the moment requiring me to cut strips of 10 mm polypropolene. My first attempt resulted in the bench saw blade (combination) blade clogging up. In addition the blade seems to be damaged. Does anyone have a solution, The band saw is not man enough or accurate enough for this task.
Should I have used a ripping blade for such a task?

The plastic is likely melting to the blade.

Try a brand new blade, so it is not contaminated by any wood juice, fewer teeth the better, give it a rub with a candle and push the material through fairly fast.

You want to minimise the heat going into the material.

Try it in two or three passes for depth as that might allow you to move it through the blade faster and will reduce chip size.

In attempting to go fast, do not compromise safety by so doing. That means you might need a different push stick to usual and maybe a light featherboard.

Good morning gentlemen. I have a job running at the moment requiring me to cut strips of 10 mm polypropolene. My first attempt resulted in the bench saw blade (combination) blade clogging up. In addition the blade seems to be damaged. Does anyone have a solution, The band saw is not man enough or accurate enough for this task.
Should I have used a ripping blade for such a task?
Don’t know what bandsaw you are having problems with, but I would think any bandsaw with a decent blade (probably 10 TPI) should do this easily and accurately.

I have cut up a couple of old wheelie bins on a bandsaw - the material was thicker than I had expected - 6-8mm., so a bit thinner than your 10mm, but no problem. Different material, I know, but my little Inca bandsaw cut some 12mm acrylic with no probs.

Personally, I wouldn’t try it on the table saw.

Cheers

Don’t know what bandsaw you are having problems with, but I would think any bandsaw with a decent blade (probably 10 TPI) should do this easily and accurately.

I have cut up a couple of old wheelie bins on a bandsaw - the material was thicker than I had expected - 6-8mm., so a bit thinner than your 10mm, but no problem. Different material, I know, but my little Inca bandsaw cut some 12mm acrylic with no probs.

Cheers
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the bandsaw I'm using is the small Charnwood
and I have yet to change the blade, in addition i'm working in a confined space which obviously doesn't help matters.

Cheers
The plastic is likely melting to the blade.

Try a brand new blade, so it is not contaminated by any wood juice, fewer teeth the better, give it a rub with a candle and push the material through fairly fast.

You want to minimise the heat going into the material.

Try it in two or three passes for depth as that might allow you to move it through the blade faster and will reduce chip size.

In attempting to go fast, do not compromise safety by so doing. That means you might need a different push stick to usual and maybe a light feather board.
Thank you very much for your response, I am awaiting delivery of a new rip blade, I think the old blade will need to be looked at, however I will clean it first and see if that makes any difference, if not i will get it dealt with and get it sharpened.

Back