black friday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul-c

Established Member
Reaction score
if its any use to anyone.
b&q are going to be selling a makita 18v li-ion drill with 2 batteries for £72 tomorrow.

cheers
paul-c

I'm shocked by that, Tradepoint (B&Pooh's) trade only card, are also selling Makita drills for exactly the same price!!!

Message to Tradepoint..........where is the saving for trade only, Tradepoint and B&Pooh are a joke.

Baldhead

Baldhead":1n4a9squ said:
I'm shocked by that, Tradepoint (B&Pooh's) trade only card, are also selling Makita drills for exactly the same price!!! <BR abp="820"><BR abp="821">Message to Tradepoint..........where is the saving for trade only, Tradepoint and B&Pooh are a joke.<BR abp="822"><BR abp="823">Baldhead

tradepoint do the drill for £60 plus VAT oh yeah that comes to £72...................

Chaps - black Friday is a marketing gimmick. Big news in the US, bandwagon jumping in the UK. Got some old stock you want to get rid of - call it a Black Friday sale. Got some old model stock you need to shift before the new model comes out - ditto. Axminster are currently offering 15% off bosch stuff as a Black Friday sale. They routinely have 15% off items in their sales (recently including bosch in their power tool sale) so this is nothing different sale wise, just a different brand to the sale itself. In the US discounts are typically up to 70%, hence the crush's at stores and even deaths to get to the bargains. Haven't seen anything in the UK even approaching a 70% discount.

By all means if there is something in the sale that you want or need then go for it, but do your research first and remember that there will also be boxing day / New Year sales at almost all these retailers, typically offering 10-15% as well!

Steve

I had the misfortune/fortune to be in New York a few years ago during Black Friday - it was madness with the stores opening in the early hours and shoppers going wild!
Red or is it Black? Monday follows where electronic stuff is discounted.

Rod

I popped out this morning to buy some vittles and found myself stuck in a traffic jam with people frantically honking their horns whilst desperately trying to get into the car park.

Consumerism at its worst...:(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I saw somebody on the news this morning saying they had queued for 6 hours and saved £70.00 -I would rather save the time than the money and hassle.

I did consider having a BF sale myself, but decided against it. It's not that I am against sales, we all like a bargain, and I have been know to have a sale myself. It's usually when organic sales would otherwise be lower than usual (such as when people receive their credit card bills after their summer holidays, for example).

But I just think that this mania is spreading like a cancer, and it's not the sales themselves, it is the appalling behaviour of some - let's hope it is a minority of - shoppers. It's the worst excessive of Boxing Day, brought forward a month.

I don't want to be part of the disease.

I don't, have not and never will queue for a 'bargain' however this afternoon I went into town ta buy a sat nav from a well known department store, I choose a different and more expensive model after a discussion with sales lady, before I completed the transaction the saleswomen asked me to wait a few moments, she walked over to a gentleman who was obviously her boss, had a few words with him and when she came back over to the till she said, "unfortunately I can't give you a discount" (I hadent asked for one) "but I'll knock a tenner off and just say we were price matching a competitors price", that really touched me as she didn't have to offer me anything.

Baldhead

StevieB":1yg2w6yb said:
......Haven't seen anything in the UK even approaching a 70% discount.

Steve

Tesco offered some TV's with 50% discount. OK..not 70% but getting there. I have to agree, the depth of discount isn't great.

MARK.B.":1lp0e6ho said:
Another import from the USA that we dont need, people behaving like animals to save a few quid.

Ha! if you posted that in the Loser's Corner on the For3.org website, you'd have been jumped on by all the Lefties there saying that it wasn't surprising, nasty bankers, nasty George Osborne, toffs, Royal family wot dunnit blah blah blah !!! Not the shopper's fault...blah blah.

I agree with you...it's just greed.

I have to say watching news coverage of people playing tug of war over a large tv highly entertaining, I was hoping for the box to go one way and the tv the other like a tom and jerry cartoon. Acting like hyenas at a carcase -not a very dignified way for adults to behave!

Latest posts

Back