Biscuit Jointer advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just about to recommend the DeWalt DW685, having picked one up secondhand for about £40 a few years back. But... The cheapest on eBay for a reconditioned one is £179 :shock: and new seem to be around the £350 mark :shock: :shock:

I got mine secondhand when I pointed the previous owner in the direction of a shiny new one :twisted: for about £125!

Get an AEG on offer last month D&M tools.....
worth every penny after I started out with a B&Q cheapo......

Mike

big soft moose said:
woodbloke said:
Lots of pennies to save, but IMO Lamello jointers are worth saving for. Superbly made and very accurate, can't be beaten - Rob

true but at that price you might as well save a little longer and get a domino.

I've got a makita bj which works fine , but i also like the dewalt which we have at work.

we used to have a clarke but it was awful so we condemned it.

the only cheap one ive encountered that was any good was axminsters own but they dont make tht anymore.
I
I have the axminster and think it's sh*** . The dust chute is so poorly cast it blocks all the time. The fence is nasty and innaccurate. The D-handle is a disaster - using that is almost guaranteed to tilt the machine while cutting.
I think all bj's suffer from a similar fault, in that it's far too easy to tilt the maching particularly on a narrow edge. And removing the fence and putting the workpiece and jointer on a flat surface only works for limited thicknesses.
The only bj I've seen that was any good was the Elu - it rocked on a pivot, rather than slid in grooves, and had a micro-adjuster to set the horizontal position of the blade.

Tim Nott":o91jsw40 said:
The only bj I've seen that was any good was the Elu - it rocked on a pivot, rather than slid in grooves, and had a micro-adjuster to set the horizontal position of the blade.

It's still available under the DeWalt brand http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/prod ... no/DW685K/

It's excellent (I have the Elu version) but it lacks a continuously variable angle fence.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1ivm5fm1 said:
Tim Nott":1ivm5fm1 said:

It's still available under the DeWalt brand http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/prod ... no/DW685K/

It's excellent (I have the Elu version) but it lacks a continuously variable angle fence.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The Elu variant is the one I've got (ref my earlier comment).

If you can find a Porter Cable 557 (I got mine from Top Gun, but they don't list it anymore) that has the best fence I've ever seen on these things. It'll go to 135 degrees so you can joint with reference to the acute edge of a 45degree bevel. Cracking bit of kit otherwise too, no slop in the plunge, easy change to the small cutter for the mini biccies too.

The Trend looks similar to the early Freud machines. This type (and other low cost jointers) does not have a finely made fence that automatically remains parallel to the blade as it is adjusted.

However, provided the blade is parallel to the case, many joints can be registered off the base without using the fence at all. When the fence is essential, it must be set using a setting block* that you make yourself. With the jointer resting on its base, on a flat surface, press the fence down on the block and then tighten up.

* cut a few blocks of different heights to suit your usual work, make them as wide as the fence, and make sure top and bottom are parallel.

ivan":43b02xqq said:
The Trend looks similar to the early Freud machines. This type (and other low cost jointers) does not have a finely made fence that automatically remains parallel to the blade as it is adjusted.

However, provided the blade is parallel to the case, many joints can be registered off the base without using the fence at all. When the fence is essential, it must be set using a setting block* that you make yourself. With the jointer resting on its base, on a flat surface, press the fence down on the block and then tighten up.

* cut a few blocks of different heights to suit your usual work, make them as wide as the fence, and make sure top and bottom are parallel.

Good tip Ivan. Never thought of that. I'll give it a go ....... :wink:
But I still think the Trend is way over priced if you have to resort to such methods, and has now (maybe wrongly) made me sceptical to everything with Trend written on it.

I got my first, a Freud 100 some years ago, and all jointers then available needed a setting block except the very expensive Lamello.

Hi, I just bought a Freud from ebay £59

I read a review in a woodworking mag online and it got a good review
at time price was quoted as £175 so I think Ive got a good deal!

Havent used it yet but looks quite solid not cheap like Wicks etc

Latest posts

Back