Makita cordless biscuit jointer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a biscuit jointer as the new Lamello Clamex S-20 connector looks like it will be really useful (when I find somewhere that has some stock!).

I was just going to get a corded model but thinking about it a cordless one will be really handy for me when out and about. I'm on the Makita platform so their tool is the obvious choice.

I presume being Makita it should be okay but just wondered if anyone who owned one or used one had any thoughts or opinions on the tool worth sharing (good or bad) before I part with my cash?

Thanks, Doug

Just my opinion, but I think tools such as this generally need to be
attached to a chip/dust extractor. Therefore I struggle to understand
any real advantage to it being cordless.

Even ignoring the whole 110v and PAT testing issues with corded tools once you leave the workshop cordless is the way forwards. Plugging in and unplugging corded tools takes time, you need extension leads, cables get knotted up, can catch on things and can get damaged.

If a cordless tool needs dust extraction you only have the hose at the tool end to deal with (which generally swaps easily between tools) and it's surprising how much easier a single hose is to deal with rather than a hose and power lead.

The main thing with cordless is you can just pick it up, use it and put it down again, it keeps your work area tidier and your workflow more efficient.

suprised it is the sort of thing you'd use outside of a workshop, shows what I know

I often get wall panelling and built in furniture jobs which need altering or parts making up on site, at the moment I often use my Domino and/or pocket hole screws but the new Lamello biscuit type connectors look perfect for things like this with their clamping action.

I own the cordless makita have hade no issues nice tool only thing I will say that the rpm's seems a bit low.
As with corded biscuit joiners the bags only good with mdf for timber better to connect to a vac

I’ve got the corded version, purchased around twenty years ago. The main reason I purchased it was because of the fence in that it goes past 90° to 135° meaning you can reference from the face of a mitred joint. It also has a solid fence with a slit to see the pencil mark, meaning small timber can be supported securely.

The Elu one I’ve got at work(which is the original DeWalt) only goes to 90° and means referencing from the back side of a mitre joint with the fence set at 45°. It also has a large gap in the fence making biscuiting narrow pieces difficult.

Yeah I’ve got the Makita.
It’s great, does everything asked of it. Doesn’t rinse batteries, obviously can’t rush it, but probably shouldn’t be anyway even with a 13amp one. I’ve used all sorts, everything feels less balanced and cheaper than the lamello and offerings, but of course that’s because they are. I would put the Makita in second place behind lamello for the build quality and user feel etc.

I haven’t used the new lamello clips designed specifically for normal biscuit slots, I know the ones designed for actual zeta need a bit of fine tuning regarding cut depth and where the slot depth is too, for them to provide an appropriate amount (or maximum amount) of “pull”
Not sure how easy this would be to fettle on other jointers, can’t remember off the top of my head if my Makita has any option for fine adjustment on slot depth without looking at it. Maybe they have slightly redesigned the clips to allow for more tolerance on depth too

Cables are a right pain and get tangled up with the hose very easily, and just create more clutter in your workspace.

To save the cost of buying a dedicated machine, you could look at those router cutters designed for biscuits. I've got a cutter from Axi, easy to use, but it does mean you need a router.

Well I picked up a cordless Makita biscuit jointer from Screwfix today and it seems like a decent tool 👍

Had a quick play with it along with some of the Lamello Clamex biscuits and they also seem okay, I did have to adjust the plunge depth slightly (which is dead easy) as it was too deep, this wouldn't be a problem with normal biscuits but the Clamex are a bit more depth sensitive.

I actually initially ordered the biscuit jointer from Powertool World last Monday but it never turned up. When I ordered the website said in stock and free next day delivery, I got an email confirmation of the order but heard nothing else. I phoned them Friday and after 15 mins on hold I spoke to a young lady who couldn't tell me what the delay was, when it would be delivered or even when it would be dispatched so I cancelled the order (which she tried to talk me out of). I have never used them before but thought they were supposed to be okay, maybe I was just unlucky? I got the impression they didn't actually have any in stock but didn't want to lose the order.

Back