Lamello classic x biscuit jointer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvddvd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to use the Lamello S18 connectors which require a 8mm thick biscuit joint cut.

Do all biscuit jointers accept a 8mm cutter as well as the standard 4mm?

I currently have a Freud j100 and will basically be doing straight butt joints.

Is the Lamello really any better or is it over kill for what I want?

I'm not aware of an 8mm biscuit jointer blade.
I started off with a Freud jointer but found it inaccurate and far too big for my small hands.
About 15 ? years ago I considered a Lamello to replace it but bought a Bosch and cannot fault it. Both are expensive but the Lamello will make you cry. If you are using the tool every day it may be worth while, but I'd guess few of us would be doing that.

Colin

I know Lamello sell a 8mm blade, which cuts the slot for their Clamex S18 detachable biscuit connectors. I see a lot of biscuit jointers for sale say a 4mm spacer is included, does that mean a 8mm blade would fit it? or what is the purpose of the 4mm spacer?

I use quite a few knock down connectors, including the Lamello Clamex S18 (yacht fit outs often require cabinets to be brought in through small hatches, so assembling in situ becomes the norm).

It's probably my most used KD connector and I rate it very highly.

I use it with an 8mm blade fitted in a Lamello Top 20. The Top 20 (and the newer Top 21) have the facility of moving the cutter head up or down by 2mm, in order to centre in slightly different thickness components. But it is possible to take advantage of this facility to use 8mm thick Clamex S18 connectors with the standard 4mm thick blade, you wind the blade up to the highest setting, cut the slot, then re-set the blade to the lowest setting and re-cut the slot. Voila...an 8mm slot from a 4mm blade!

Bottom line is I see no reason why you couldn't do the same thing with a 4mm spacer and a 4mm blade.

However, you may not need any of this faff, I believe Lamello now has a 4mm thick knock-down connector. I've never used it but that may be an easier solution for you. It may take some tracking down though, as Lamello seem to focus on their Zeta system with the "P" rather than "S" connectors.

Good luck!

Thanks, I believe the new 4mm clamex s 20 are coming out in September but I managed to get a few sample packs from Lamello in the UK to try them out. They seem really good and love the way the metal lever is on a cam so it pulls the two pieced together.
Will try then to see how strong and suitable they are..

I know Lamello sell a 8mm blade, which cuts the slot for their Clamex S18 detachable biscuit connectors. I see a lot of biscuit jointers for sale say a 4mm spacer is included, does that mean a 8mm blade would fit it? or what is the purpose of the 4mm spacer?
The 4mm spacer would have the effect of lowering the blade in the machine which would help if you're biscuiting thin timber.

Bottom line is I see no reason why you couldn't do the same thing with a 4mm spacer and a 4mm blade.
I had a quick review of my set up having read @custard's comment, I have a Dewalt biscuit jointer but soon realised it was causing me issues, so i bought a Lamello Classic C3, it is a world apart in accuracy, anyway, I had also bought a pack of the S18 connectors, and dug it all out today to "refresh" my memory, there is a 4mm spacer, red plastic shoe (which I think came with the machine) that slips/clips to the fence, which will then lift the blade closer to the face of the stock, made the fist plunge then took it off and repeated the cut, all with the 4mm blade, and it all worked OK, a picture probably explains it better:

biscuit.jpg

Back