Biscuit Jointer advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bofh

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all, I'm hovering over the "buy now" button for a cheep jointer. Whilst I apreciate that it's not probably the best tool I'm trying to see what the difference is for the money.

I was looking at two Clarke versions, one is £40 or so, the other £63 ish. Whilst they both seem to not cut more than 16mm deep is there anything else I'm missing?

I've seen an even cheeper one on the auction site that cuts to 20mm so I'm getting a little confused. I would get the one on e-bay but I'd like it delivered tomorrow so I can have a play with it.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/details/biscuit-jointers/path/11-routers-biscuit-jointers

I know I'm spending peanuts but I'll consider buying quality a little later. The cheap belt sander I got from B&Q the other week has proved to be very good for £40.

Any advice?

And don't be fooled by the Trend even though it's almost as expensive as a Dewalt or AEG. I was !.
Mine's a load of rubbish and I've seen another which is just as bad. Terrible, sloppy fence that's almost impossible to set accurately and noticable play in the bearings from new. Not worth the money. Wish I'd paid 20-30 quid more for something decent.

I was browsing woodwork mags yesterday and there was a comparison of an Aldi cheapo vs Makita (I think) and Lamello.

It was clear that the real cheapo was a a poor design and manufacture and could not cut a slot that was parallel with the fence. This makes it useless, in fact you would basically be throwing away your £30 or whatever it was.

I spent £99 on an AEG on eBay on a buy it now that has the Mafell fence which is one of the finest made, arguably better than the Lamello. I did a post of it on here somewhere, the model number is LF650, not much more than the more expensive version you are considering.

The Biscuit jointer is not like a sander or even a power drill, it relys on a very accurate positioning to align your joints. I used to use a slotting bit in a router table and despite taking car, I could not get a biscuit joint as good as I get with the AEG. For these it really is worth getting a decent one. I have B&Q Performance Pro sanders for £20 - £30 or so and love them so I am not glued to big brand names usually.

HTH

The £63 Clarke is the one that got a "best on test " in one of the mags
I bought one and used mainly on oak. Cannot fault it Solid kit

My point entirely and exactly what's wrong with the Trend. Almost impossible to get a slot that's parallel with the fence. Not very good on a machine that sells for around £140-150. Mine's going ASAP and will be replaced by the AEG.

Lots of pennies to save, but IMO Lamello jointers are worth saving for. Superbly made and very accurate, can't be beaten - Rob

woodbloke":37g1y20z said:
Lots of pennies to save, but IMO Lamello jointers are worth saving for. Superbly made and very accurate, can't be beaten - Rob

true but at that price you might as well save a little longer and get a domino.

I've got a makita bj which works fine , but i also like the dewalt which we have at work.

we used to have a clarke but it was awful so we condemned it.

the only cheap one ive encountered that was any good was axminsters own but they dont make tht anymore.

The main advantages of biscuit jointers are speed and accuracy - so I would always advise you to get the best you can afford. And if you can't afford the one you want, it's probably better to save up until you can.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Many thanks chaps, I'll put this thought on hold then for a while before jumping in. See if I can flog a few more bird tables and invest the cash.

Thanks

big soft moose":192za1hd said:
woodbloke":192za1hd said:

I've got a makita bj which works fine , but i also like the dewalt which we have at work.

the only cheap one ive encountered that was any good was axminsters own but they dont make tht anymore.
Wrong, in my view. Biscuit jointers and the Dom are compatable but do different tasks in the 'shop. In an ideal world, you need both, but it's difficult to justify the cost of a Domino in an amateur, hobbyist 'shop. Given the choice, a really good biscuit jointer any time, as it's far more versatile - Rob

woodbloke":1kv4gzaz said:
big soft moose":1kv4gzaz said:
woodbloke":1kv4gzaz said:

Wrong, in my view. Biscuit jointers and the Dom are compatable but do different tasks in the 'shop. In an ideal world, you need both, but it's difficult to justify the cost of a Domino in an amateur, hobbyist 'shop. Given the choice, a really good biscuit jointer any time, as it's far more versatile - Rob

fair point - but its equally difficult imo to justify spending 300 plus notes on a lammelo when the makita/bosch/dewalt/aeg etc ones do a perfectly acceptable job for between a third and a half as much

big soft moose":2bovtlbu said:
[
fair point - but its equally difficult imo to justify spending 300 plus notes on a lammelo when the makita/bosch/dewalt/aeg etc ones do a perfectly acceptable job for between a third and a half as much
You're probably right, the L's are a lot of money and the other's would do a decent job...but they (Lamello) are a very nice bit of kit :D SWIMBO bought my C2 some years ago and I wouldn't swap it for anything else (I used Dewalt etc in the 'trade' and the Lamello in my view is a better machine) - Rob

Hi all,

First post and just a couple of p's worth of comment.

I bought an Erbauer jointer from Screwfix. The best I can say is it does a job. The depth had to be set manually with the stop and the fence takes loads of setting up to get the placement right.

Doing a 90degree joint in MDF is impossible to get flush even though it is done without the fence. The edges do not line up and it is all wavy.

I am still practising on my first garage cabinet so it may get better.

I would love better quality but would like try before buy to see if it is me or tool.

paininthe":1km657c2 said:
Hi all,

First post and just a couple of p's worth of comment.

I bought an Erbauer jointer from Screwfix. The best I can say is it does a job. The depth had to be set manually with the stop and the fence takes loads of setting up to get the placement right.

Doing a 90degree joint in MDF is impossible to get flush even though it is done without the fence. The edges do not line up and it is all wavy.

I am still practising on my first garage cabinet so it may get better.

I would love better quality but would like try before buy to see if it is me or tool.

Would like to try some myself first, but then that's what makes a forum like this so good. People with years of experience can advise and save us all the grief and expense.

I'll be taking a little longer to make up my mind.

woodbloke":eo1svdx7 said:
big soft moose":eo1svdx7 said:
woodbloke":eo1svdx7 said:

I have been a happy domino user for about 3 years now. I think in this time i have used the biscuit jointer a couple of times at the most and in my workshop the domino has completely replaced the biscuit jointer. I have a decent biscuit jointer a Mafell LNF20 but I cant think of one application that the biscuit jointer does better than the domino apart from trimming skirting boards when installing hardwood flooring.

Cheers

Jon

Has anyone experienced the same problems I have with the Trend or is it just mine (+ another I've seen) ? Interested to know as I may still have the receipt and be able to return it.

woodbloke":1s2vm83v said:
Biscuit jointers and the Dom are compatable but do different tasks in the 'shop. In an ideal world, you need both, but it's difficult to justify the cost of a Domino in an amateur, hobbyist 'shop. Given the choice, a really good biscuit jointer any time, as it's far more versatile - Rob

I disagree 100%

I use the Domino for everything I ever used to use a BJ for and find it far more versatile. I can't think of a single reason to use a biscuit jointer any more apart from cutting away the bottom of skirting boards to fit a laminate floor!

In my view anyone thinking of paying the money for a Lamello would be better off buying a Domino. I take it you haven't got one, Rob. :wink:

Cheers
Brad

Edited to add;

I made my post before reading JonnyD's above. Great minds!

BradNaylor":3bettcvi said:
I take it you haven't got one, Rob. :wink:

Cheers
Brad
Nope...and I think the cost of them isn't warranted in a hobbyist 'shop IMO. The near £700ish :shock: (machine and assorted cutters/woody things) from Axminster is beyond me and most other infrequent users I suspect...mind you, if you can pick one up second hand :whistle: :whistle: :wink: - Rob

Back