Best Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I have said Mike, it it is not your option that frustrates me, rather the way you chose to portray it as a fact rather than an opinion. But this debate is clearly going nowhere and not helping Jonny any further with his deliberations so I suggest we just leave it at that.

Terry.

Only just tuned in to this thread !

My own setup for a number of years has been a home made Norm'ish table, T11 router and Xtreme Xtension collet extension.

The setup works a treat, everything is done above table, the height is adjustable above table and is easy to be very accurate as it can be adjusted minutely as you measure the protrusion of the bit above the table. Bits are changed above table too, the XX uses a hex key that operates a locking cam in a different axis to the rotation of the router, so no need at all to lock the spindle, a quick and easy movement of the hex key allows you to pop out the bit, replace with a different one, tighten up and off you go, couldn't really be easier.

I think it may have been Mike who didn't rate the XX earlier in the thread as he got vibration with it, but that's not my experience with it at all, and I recall many other folk on here on different threads who rated the product highly. It is possible to get some vibration initially until you have adjusted it in the collet, but that takes all of a couple of minutes trial and error and then it stays there. My guess is Mike hasn't gone through that process sufficiently carefully, or at all, or if he still has issues they may well be with the actual router, bearings or collet and the XX is just magnifying the underlying cause. Or it may be a faulty XX of course, but I've not heard of that to date. An excellent product, for a modest price it completely transforms the use of a router table :)

Yes it was I that had problems trying to balance the XX collet, I tried everything I could think of trying to get it to work as I thought the concept was sound and was worth persevering with, however I eventually gave up after trying for two days and even changing the bearings in my router, so I am pretty sure my example is faulty, however the Musclechuck has no such issues and has worked from day one with no vibration, even with a panel raising bit. A big plus with the muscle chuck IMO of course is that its compact size does not compromise on the depth of plunge when using it outside a table.

Mike

Link: http://musclechuck.com/articles/FactSheet.pdf
Link: https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/produ ... e-xtension

MikeJhn":3vwi66rb said:
Yes it was I that had problems trying to balance the XX collet, I tried everything I could think of trying to get it to work as I thought the concept was sound and was worth persevering with, however I eventually gave up after trying for two days and even changing the bearings in my router, so I am pretty sure my example is faulty, however the Musclechuck has no such issues and has worked from day one with no vibration, even with a panel raising bit. A big plus with the muscle chuck IMO of course is that its compact size does not compromise on the depth of plunge when using it outside a table.

Mike

The musclechuck looks good too Mike, good to have choices ! :)

One of the advantages the Triton has over many other routers is that the standard collet extends far enough through the base plate that there is no need to use an extension, eliminating the possibility of introducing additional vibration or imbalance.

I've been scratching my head for days about choosing a router for a table. I have a DeWalt 625 1/2" that I've had for years and I've started to use this on a mafell/bosch rail system and don't want to mess about swapping routers between rail base and table. I also have a knackered Electra Beckum spindle moulder that needs a rewire. I also have a very old trend craftsman router table and a no name router that I haven't got around to fit as its a pain to set up the height etc.

So my plan is a) dump the spindle moulder, probably sell it for spares or if the quote for the rewind comes in about 70 from Doncaster rewinds, sell it as a worker. b) sell the trend craftsman table, it has the base and NVR etc. c) buy a dedicated powerful (2kW or greater) router for a new table with ease of set up a priority. I don't mind reaching under the table if necessary but must be easy to adjust. I will be fitting a NVR switch to whatever I eventually choose.

Options 1
First I looked at buying another DW625 and a router raizer. The routers go for about £250, router raizer about 85 quid and probably need a collet extender for another 60 quid or so, total about 400 quid. Good points is that it comes with 1/4 and 1/2 collets and I have a spare machine if one breaks until I get another one. Height adjustment is from underneath but that's a minor issue, I'm a sprightly 55 and my knees are my own. The trend T11 comes under this option too being another ELU clone but with the benefit of above ground adjustment but at 40 quid more. Some say you don't need the collet extension if you take the plunge spring and a few other bits off as you get a bit more travel so probably similar overall cost. May be able to do this with the DW too?

Option 2 - wait for the very shiny xact motor/lift and plate kit to come back into stock at Rutlands. Very powerful industrial grade kit, but 500 quid but no need to buy a plate. The downside is no dust extraction and a bit niche so availability after guarantee runs out may be a bit lacking. Comes with both collets so no further purchases.This option appeals to me as it is probably the most elegant, precise and the least fiddly but at a price.

Option 3 - I looked at several US and UK fixed base routers, or kits that came with both fixed and plunge, most came with above table height adjustment, some said "fine" adjustment implying you still need to go underneath for major adjustment. Possibly not but the blurb wasn't clear. I looked at US Porter cable, DW, Bosch and UK Bosch. Pricing was good on the US side even with the terrible exchange rate and carriage but although I already have a 110v transformer, their is a question mark whether they would work on 50Hz, probably but you get less warranty etc, as well so a risk. The UK Bosch GMF 1600 was not as powerful, expensive at £370 ish and seems to have had some serious reliability issues for some.

Option 4 - Triton TRA001. £210 quid plus £10 more for the 1/4" adapter sleeve as it comes with 1/2" and 8mm collets. Apart from a bit of fiddling underneath with the power switch, the rest is above the table and its 2.4kW. There's some talk of issues however I haven't read any routers machine's reviews yet without a few horror stories and there does seem to be a lot of satisfied customers.

So for me currently it's the Triton in first place with the Xact combo second if your feeling flush and its in stock. The Xact motor alone is £200 so if you paired it with a cheaper lift or made your own then it may be a closer call.

I nearly bought the Triton but I don't have to buy for a while yet so may think about it a while...... You can't rush decisions like this :)

Good price on that Hitachi Mike :) It looks like an Elu clones so still have to add the router raizer and possibly the collet extender, brings option 1 down from £400 to £300 though so a contender but I think the Triton shades it still for my requirements.

MikeJhn":225rpif1 said:

Mike

I'm getting a 404 error for the first one.

MikeJhn":qrd1tkyf said:
Check out the power of the Triton Router, I think you will find that in the UK its 2000watts not 2400

I just checked the Triton en-GB web page and it states 2400W in the spec however it doesn't state volts/frequency so not conclusive as it could apply to the US version. The power figure is not very scientific anyway as this will be input power, output will depend on motor efficiency. It's "beefy" is probably just as exact :)

I also noticed they supply the 1/2" to 1/4" reducer in the box so that saves a tenner :)

Cheer Mike, that clear that up! :)

Edit, just bought the Triton from Dennis on the basis that I'll get good support if needed, an extra 15 quid more than the cheapest but I think money well spent. Also I realised that if the shiny Xact one came back into stock I would talk myself into buying a niche product I didn't really need for almost double the price if you take the insert into account, for once the Yorkshire in me overpowered the need for shiny tools :)

Back