Best Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good video Terry.

The process would be exactly the same for the UJK 10mm aluminium insert.

Jonny

JonnyW":3hxhafjd said:
Going under the table to press the spindle lock during bit changing isn't a problem and wouldn't bother me. What is a no brainer is the ability to fine tune bit heights without constantly going under the table. That's why I liked the UJK raiser - very very accurate. And that's why I bought their fine adjuster for the fence. It's the fine tuning of the bit to the work piece I would like to do above the table.

Well in the interests of reciprocity Jonny my router table is my first (kindly donated to me second hand and free of charge by 9fingers) and I have no personal experience of a router lift (which is why my first post was to ask what the benefits were). It would be very interesting to hear from somebody with direct experience of a router with above the table adjustment and a router in a lift to see if they feel the router lift gave more precision / accuracy. For me that would be a selling point, though who am I kidding the rest of my woodworking is where I need the accuracy :lol: .

Terry.

Wizard9999":3jdj02qx said:
MikeJhn":3jdj02qx said:
Just to make it absolutly clear the Triton does not switch off and on when you lower or raise it either, you have to do it manually and only then does the spindle lock operate, you must switch the router off and close the switch cover then raise the router to lock the spindle, then you have to open the switch cover to release the spindal lock to allow it to be lowered only then can you switch the router back on, that is three times you have to access the router under the table to change a bit.

Mike

Struggling with your maths here. Switch off and close cover, raise collet and make changes, open cover and switch on, lower collet. If it is connected to an NVR (and I guess ideally unplugged as well) why do you need to only switch on as a third step?

As others have said, it really isn't that hard to just reach under the table, once you have done it a few times you don't actually need to look at what you are doing. You're happy to have spent money on a router lift and use it to save you having to reach under the table, that's your choice and it works for you but come on don't over egg the pudding and try and make out it is a more of a hassle than it actually is.

Terry.

Terry you have to open and close the switch cover on the Triton router to lock the spindle, there is no other way as far as I remember its automatic when you raise the router except for the cover interlock.

Mike

That's not correct.

If you raise the spindle to max height, the switch cover will lock (meaning you can't switch it on), and the spindle lock will engage. Obviously you can only do this when the router is off - if you try and raise it max height while it is on it will prevent you from doing so.

One the bit is changed, you just need to lower it slightly to disengage the switch cover lock and the spindle lock

MikeJhn":3ufjgiej said:
Wizard9999":3ufjgiej said:
MikeJhn":3ufjgiej said:
Just to make it absolutly clear the Triton does not switch off and on when you lower or raise it either, you have to do it manually and only then does the spindle lock operate, you must switch the router off and close the switch cover then raise the router to lock the spindle, then you have to open the switch cover to release the spindal lock to allow it to be lowered only then can you switch the router back on, that is three times you have to access the router under the table to change a bit.

Mike

Struggling with your maths here. Switch off and close cover, raise collet and make changes, open cover and switch on, lower collet. If it is connected to an NVR (and I guess ideally unplugged as well) why do you need to only switch on as a third step?

As others have said, it really isn't that hard to just reach under the table, once you have done it a few times you don't actually need to look at what you are doing. You're happy to have spent money on a router lift and use it to save you having to reach under the table, that's your choice and it works for you but come on don't over egg the pudding and try and make out it is a more of a hassle than it actually is.

Terry.

Terry you have to open and close the switch cover on the Triton router to lock the spindle, there is no other way as far as I remember its automatic when you raise the router except for the cover interlock.

Mike

Mike it is your statement above that you need to go under the table three times that is wrong. I have just popped out to my workshop to double check.

Step 1: switch router off, cover plate closes allowing collet to be raised above table which is what actually locks it
Step 2: change bit and lower collet back down below table
Step 3: push cover plate back and switch machine on

Three steps, but two times you have to reach under the table. What you have wrong is saying you have to release the cover plate to lower the collet. So you have remembered it incorrectly.

Terry.

Fair enough, its some time since I got rid of my Triton routers, I just remember the faffing around I did just to change a bit, I also found the lift crank/handle wore badly and the lift mechanism kept getting packed with wood shavings and had to be dug out, also the winding mechanism on the Triton table was so close to the fence that the handle could not be turned if the fence had been set flush to a bearing guided bit, compared to the Axminster lift with the Muscle chuck fitted all the operations are above the table, the Triton IMO was not a very satisfactory solution.

Mike

Peter at his New Brit Workshop youtube site, gives an excellent review of the UJK setup.

I've also contacted him. He uses the Dewalt 625 with an Axcaliber collet extension. He also uses the UJK router raiser.

I understand that the setup of the collet extender means you can raise it above the table and use two spanners to change bits. So there's no need to go under the table with this setup?

Jonny

JonnyW":fipp6z8u said:
Peter at his New Brit Workshop youtube site, gives an excellent review of the UJK setup.

I've also contacted him. He uses the Dewalt 625 with an Axcaliber collet extension. He also uses the UJK router raiser.

I understand that the setup of the collet extender means you can raise it above the table and use two spanners to change bits. So there's no need to go under the table with this setup?

Jonny
If you (and Peter) don't mind I'd be interested in hearing what Peter has to say. Always good to hear an independent point of view and Peter is very good at this, even when he owns something he manages to avoid the trap of just trying to justify his own decisions / purchases which others sometimes seem to fall into.

Terry.

Wizard9999":q469q7rl said:

Agree with this absolutely. Every time the Triton is mentioned in a thread about router tables we see this same spiel.
Unless you have a mobility impairment it is no trouble whatsoever to reach below the table to perform the necessary operations.
Sure there are more convenient (more expensive) options but the Triton serves many many people perfectly adequately.

I have absolutely nothing against the Triton. It's a fantastic machine and one I will be looking at, as is the Dewalt. I started this post to gain some inspiration and ideas and more importantly, learn from other people's mistakes.

And as per my previous comments, I have no issues whatsoever with going under the table. However, if a specific setup means I don't have to, then if my budget allows, this will be the setup I'll go for.

Terry I have no affiliation to Peter and what he reviews and I agree, we buy things and then try to justify it. I contacted him via YouTube and he kindly got back to me both times. Comments are public so you'll be able to see my questions. He does three reviews, including setups. Worth a watch.

I really appreciate every comment and opinion. My mind wasn't and still isn't made up, I'm just looking for the most convenient setup.

Jonny

I have a Triton in my table. What sounds quite complicated really isn't. You press the off switch on the router and then a cover automatically slides over that switch. You can then raise it and change the cutters above the table. The spindle locks so no need to reach underneath.

Once changed, lower the router, reach under and slide the cover and switch on.

Once it's on you can then use the NVR switch on the table to turn it on and off.

Height adjustment is from above and is very accurate. I use a trend digital height gauge and that makes it simple.

I was originally thinking of the UJK route but when I added it all up (with the Dewalt 625) it was silly money for very little convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that sound very straightforward.

I have no issues with that setup.

Thanks for that.

Jonny

Well Johnny you certainly started something with this thread, there has been plenty of post concerning the inconvenience of using a Triton Router on the various thread on this Forum, but I seen to be only one prepared to post his observations on this thread, it seems much to the detriment of my voracity. (hammer) :roll: Its only when you start to use something like the UJK engineered above table lift that you realise how inconvenient some other can be, but I am sure you will make up your own mind in the end. :wink:

Mike

Ha ha ha. Such is this excellent forum Mike.

I thoroughly believe if you don't like the answer, then don't ask the question. So it's invaluable reading opinions and user experience. I'll admit, I'd rather pay a little extra for the convenience - however, that 'little extra' is all relative and can it ever be truly justified. In my case as a weekend warrior, probably not.

Thanks for your input Mike et al, much appreciated.

Some major head scratching and weighing up to do!

Jonny

MikeJhn":3ecnjc6j said:
Well Johnny you certainly started something with this thread, there has been plenty of post concerning the inconvenience of using a Triton Router on the various thread on this Forum, but I seen to be only one prepared to post his observations on this thread, it seems much to the detriment of my voracity. (hammer) :roll: Its only when you start to use something like the UJK engineered above table lift that you realise how inconvenient some other can be, but I am sure you will make up your own mind in the end. :wink:

Mike

Indeed, it appears you are in a minority of one, but I'm sure one day we will all reach the higher plane of wisdom you exist on Mike. :roll: I for one am looking to eliminate the need to bend down or reach forward for any reason in all aspects of my life now.

Terry.

Its vitrolic post's like that which stop other people from posting their experience with different tools, you end up with a overwhelming opinion that means nothing if you don't get an opposing view, all that I was expressing was my experience with that equipment, you should not take it personally.

Mike

Can't imagine there is much short of an all out nuclear war that would stop you sharing your views Mike.

As I pointed out in an earlier post in this thread how you spend your money is 100% up to you and I am glad you are happy with your decisions. What I find frustrating is you fail to respect the decisions others make in the same way and simply reiterate that your way is right, not as a view or an opinion but as if it is self evident universal truth.

Terry.

Terry I'm sorry I frustrate you because my opinion differ's from yours, but you have to accept that anything posted on a Forum is just an opinion, how you interpret that opinion is up to you.

Mike

Back