Benchtop Planer / Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireburst

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a benchtop planer/thicknesser to use at home. It needs to be portable as I have very limited space. I have been looking at the SCHEPPACH HMS860 and also the Titan TTB579PLN. I will be for quite narrow hardwood stock no more than 3 inches. I am guessing that both are more than capable but would like anyone views that have used any of these machines currently or in the past and also how good the chip extraction is when coupled with a 100mm hose attached to an extractor.

Andy

and also how good the chip extraction is when coupled with a 100mm hose attached to an extractor.
On that note you'll be fine. In my old shop we were putting through mainly oak boards at about 9-12" widths, 9-11' lengths, taking about 3/4 of a mm off per pass and using a basic 1hp chipping extractor at 100mm hose diameter.
Occasionally it would clog, but for the majority of the time it would extract fine, it would only really clog when the bag was close to full.
So for a small benchtop machine, on a basic 1hp extractor I'd be surprised if it was problematic.

Whats your budget for the P/T ?. As it might be better to get a bigger or better quality machine second hand. Something like an Record Power PT260 or Metabo HC260C

Here's an ideal machine in Sheffield :D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31412850...i7QM/JeYnI5VB9OML+IkbrbQ==|tkp:Bk9SR9qiiJTfYA

Last edited:
I'd look for a second hand Inca or Emco Rex. I briefly had a titan but the beds were not parallel and could not be adjusted

I have the titan and was lucky with mine in that the beds were flat. Contrary to popular belief they are adjustable just requires taking the panels off the machine. I was skeptical about buying it as reviews are mixed, but approached it with the idea of I can always return it to screwfix if it is not fit for purpose and they will refund me without question as the customer service is good there.

The fence is not excellent I will say, but it is adequate. If you wanted to you could bolt a bit of plywood onto it to increase the rigidity. This is not a problem unique to this machine, it is the case for most in this price range.

I use a 50mm hose with a cyclone extraction system and get about 90-95% chip clearance, it could be better, but it isn't a real problem I just have to do a bit of vaccuming after if I have put a lot of boards through.

I have a small workshop and don't use the P/T that often, so for me the titan is perfect and I am happy with it especially for the price.

Hi fireburst, whereabouts are you? I’ve got a Kity 8500 I no longer need if you are interested. Got loads of spare brand new blades with it too.

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a benchtop planer/thicknesser to use at home. It needs to be portable as I have very limited space. I have been looking at the SCHEPPACH HMS860 and also the Titan TTB579PLN. I will be for quite narrow hardwood stock no more than 3 inches. I am guessing that both are more than capable but would like anyone views that have used any of these machines currently or in the past and also how good the chip extraction is when coupled with a 100mm hose attached to an extractor.

Andy
Hi. I've just bought a lumberjack TP. Its everything I need and it was in the sale at £299.
I also got £15 off that price as a first sale. Free delivery and I had it the next day. I've planed a few olivewood And resin boards, some whisky staves and a couple of pieces of oak so far all great.
The cutting area is about 13 inches. I can easily lift it onto a shelf

Attachments

• 20220818_160058.jpg
    20220818_160058.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220823_145407.jpg
    20220823_145407.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Hi,

Andy
Option: a 'hand' electric plane would meet your width need? If you need it fixed, youtube has suggestions for mounting one. Much smaller than a planer thicknesser?

I’ve got a Jet JWP12 and use a Camvac with a 50mm extraction pipe with no issues.
It’s quite heavy though (guessing around 30kg) so if the Triton or Scheppach you are looking at are similar you’ll need a substantial shelf to keep it on and unless you’re a lot stronger than me, won’t be able to lift it too high or reach far with it.

I am looking to purchase a benchtop planer/thicknesser to use at home. It needs to be portable as I have very limited space. I have been looking at the SCHEPPACH HMS860 and also the Titan TTB579PLN. I will be for quite narrow hardwood stock no more than 3 inches.
With the limited space it is forcing you to go down a certain route rather than maybe selecting a better machine for the job, I would ask myself whether at this point in time do I really need to buy a P/T or could I just buy ready sized timber. This will depend on the amount of timber you are looking at but my thought process is that if for whatever reason I could not get the tool or machine that fully meets all my needs then rather than accept a compromise either wait until such time you can get the right one or look at alternative options.

I’ve got a Jet JWP12 and use a Camvac with a 50mm extraction pipe with no issues.
It’s quite heavy though (guessing around 30kg) so if the Triton or Scheppach you are looking at are similar you’ll need a substantial shelf to keep it on and unless you’re a lot stronger than me, won’t be able to lift it too high or reach far with it.
I second that the Titan one (screwfix) is heavy - you can lift it but it is awkward. I lift mine from floor to bench when I want to use it which is fine. I wouldn't want to lift it up to a high shelf above my head or anything. I keep meaning to build a flip-top cabinet for it to live on/in but am yet to get around to that...

Hi. I've just bought a lumberjack TP. Its everything I need and it was in the sale at £299.
I also got £15 off that price as a first sale. Free delivery and I had it the next day. I've planed a few olivewood And resin boards, some whisky staves and a couple of pieces of oak so far all great.
Those are very acceptable results

Thats just a thicknesser. To plane/thickness stock properly you need both functions.

Very similar to my Triton TPT125 which I'm very pleased with for the price. I will be making a removable melamine feed table for it soon to make it easier to feed through longer lengths. You will find ideas for this on YT. I agree that fitting it to a flip top cabinet is far better than lugging it about as they are are heavy.

I have a SIP 10" P/T and it appears very similar to the Excel (minus the stand)
SIP's 8" version is similar and also looks similar to the Titan.

I am fairly happy with it, the guard can be a small bit fiddly to set up and the fence is bolted on and has to be removed if you want to swap it from a planer to a thicknesser.

I'm in a similar situation as I want to have more material choices than what I can get in PAR, but I need a solution that will be quick as workshop time is limited as it is. My workshop is about half a single garage so I don't have the floor space for a big machine and while I'm hoping to get more space in the future, I don't know when that will be.

The current options I've seen:

1. Triton TSPL152 planer, and a lunchbox thicknesser like the Triton or Dewalt DW733. Bit limited on planing width.
2. Metabo HC260. Not sure I like the idea of switching between modes though.
3. Dewalt D27300. Most expensive option, but I like that you don't have to reconfigure too much to switch modes and the planing width beats option 1.

I'm really after something I can just buy now, understanding the compromises with newer kit compared to older machines.

I'm in a similar situation as I want to have more material choices than what I can get in PAR, but I need a solution that will be quick as workshop time is limited as it is. My workshop is about half a single garage so I don't have the floor space for a big machine and while I'm hoping to get more space in the future, I don't know when that will be.

The current options I've seen:

1. Triton TSPL152 planer, and a lunchbox thicknesser like the Triton or Dewalt DW733. Bit limited on planing width.
2. Metabo HC260. Not sure I like the idea of switching between modes though.
3. Dewalt D27300. Most expensive option, but I like that you don't have to reconfigure too much to switch modes and the planing width beats option 1.

I'm really after something I can just buy now, understanding the compromises with newer kit compared to older machines.
If you are saying that you have a small workshop then I cannot see the advantage of option 1.

Back