Benchtop Planer / Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you will need two machines, plus the appropriate space above and around them. They are fairly heavy and not the easiest to move around, so if you are going to mount them onto cabinets or a bench then thats twice the amount of space you would need. Some people do mount them on a flip-top cabinet to make it more compact.

I would have thought you would be better with one of the combination machines which would mean you just need to find the space for one machine and the required room around it?

Well you will need two machines, plus the appropriate space above and around them. They are fairly heavy and not the easiest to move around, so if you are going to mount them onto cabinets or a bench then thats twice the amount of space you would need. Some people do mount them on a flip-top cabinet to make it more compact.

I would have thought you would be better with one of the combination machines which would mean you just need to find the space for one machine and the required room around it?
Yeah that's a good point. I was originally thinking that two smaller machines would be easier to store (as you need a smaller space for each), and I'm sort of resigned to the fact that I have to get stuff out onto the workbench to use.

That would leave me leaning towards the DeWalt, if I can come up with a solution to store it. FFX has 5% off so this could be an expensive day.

I hadn't a clue what your quoted machines were so I very briefly looked them up.

Triton looks toy-like & almost certainly will have a brushed motor - noisy! - and only does 150mm wide. So thats TWO weak points.

Why is the third one twice the price of the second? Is it made in Italy not China? But twice the price? I'd go for the Metabo. And when you get it, or any other machine, take care setting it up (tables aligned to cutterblock & each other for a planer). Doing so will repay you in results.

Why is switching between modes an issue? I can't think of anything easier. :)

Triton looks toy-like & almost certainly will have a brushed motor - noisy! - and only does 150mm wide. So thats TWO weak points.

As I've never had a planer (or used anything other than sheet material or PSE), I'm don't know if 150mm is going to be limiting for me or not. The noise I'm not so concerned about; I always wear ear defenders anyway and I work in the garage which isn't too close to anyone else.

Why is the third one twice the price of the second? Is it made in Italy not China? But twice the price? I'd go for the Metabo. And when you get it, or any other machine, take care setting it up (tables aligned to cutterblock & each other for a planer). Doing so will repay you in results.

Yeah the price difference is a little crazy, but the Dewalt does seem to be more substantial?

My main concern is maintaining the settings/accuracy. I can't see how moving the tables all the time can reliably return them to an accurate position?

My main concern is maintaining the settings/accuracy. I can't see how moving the tables all the time can reliably return them to an accurate position?
That's not something I'd anticipate a problem with. Hinged infeed / outfeed tables have been around for years on European machines including quite wide / heavy ones. I've had a couple and I'm quite demanding about accuracy, not least because an inaccurate machine would be a time-waster ...

That's not something I'd anticipate a problem with. Hinged infeed / outfeed tables have been around for years on European machines including quite wide / heavy ones. I've had a couple and I'm quite demanding about accuracy, not least because an inaccurate machine would be a time-waster ...

Ah yeah; a hinged table I wouldn't be concerned about, but the outfeed table is completed removed on the Metabo when changing modes. I'll admit I'm probably worrying for no good reason, but it just doesn't seem like it could maintain accuracy like that.

I hadn't a clue what your quoted machines were so I very briefly looked them up.

You're right. The more I look at this, the more crazy the price difference is between the Metabo and the DeWalt. For the same price as the DeWalt, you can get a Record Power PT107, weighing three times more and with cast iron tables, without taking up much more floor space. Although the room required to swing the tables out of the way might be an issue.

It looks like it might be the Metabo, especially as it's 20% off at FFX Ebay at the moment.

can get a Record Power PT107
But it will not end there, I have the PT107 and out of the box it was not a good performer. To get the best from it you must set all three blades accurately and having tried all the jigs and methods suggested I could at best only get two out of three, it gave better results with two correctly set blades than with the third not quite right. The solution was to fit the Esta bruck carriers with the disposable blades. The carriers are £67 each and the reversable blades are cheaper than originals at £10 each so add onto the cost another £230. I have previously said that in hindsight I would have looked for a Tersa machine because it would have saved all the hassle and cost.

https://www.advancedmachinery.co.uk/machinery/tooling.asp?section=esta-bruck-knife-system-382

But it will not end there, I have the PT107 and out of the box it was not a good performer. To get the best from it you must set all three blades accurately and having tried all the jigs and methods suggested I could at best only get two out of three, it gave better results with two correctly set blades than with the third not quite right. The solution was to fit the Esta bruck carriers with the disposable blades. The carriers are £67 each and the reversable blades are cheaper than originals at £10 each so add onto the cost another £230. I have previously said that in hindsight I would have looked for a Tersa machine because it would have saved all the hassle and cost.

https://www.advancedmachinery.co.uk/machinery/tooling.asp?section=esta-bruck-knife-system-382
Thanks Spectric. I had seen in other similar threads that you had the PT107, so reading your experience is appreciated.

I think the Metabo is the best option for me at the moment as I can get that plus a chip extractor for less than either of the more expensive machines. I'm looking forward to using something other than just the PSE pine I've used so far.

I have the titan and was lucky with mine in that the beds were flat. Contrary to popular belief they are adjustable just requires taking the panels off the machine. I was skeptical about buying it as reviews are mixed, but approached it with the idea of I can always return it to screwfix if it is not fit for purpose and they will refund me without question as the customer service is good there.

The fence is not excellent I will say, but it is adequate. If you wanted to you could bolt a bit of plywood onto it to increase the rigidity. This is not a problem unique to this machine, it is the case for most in this price range.

I use a 50mm hose with a cyclone extraction system and get about 90-95% chip clearance, it could be better, but it isn't a real problem I just have to do a bit of vaccuming after if I have put a lot of boards through.

I have a small workshop and don't use the P/T that often, so for me the titan is perfect and I am happy with it especially for the price.
Hi Sams93, I would be very grateful for any advice on adjusting the indeed table on the Titan. I am very happy with mine as a thicknesser but the indeed table is way off parallel!

Hi Sams93, I would be very grateful for any advice on adjusting the indeed table on the Titan. I am very happy with mine as a thicknesser but the indeed table is way off parallel!
Hi - so I have copied and pasted this from another forum but this is basically how you do it. You do need to remove the front cover to access the bolts (and back if I remember correctly).

"I know this is an old thread but took me a while to work out how to level the table. There are 4 bolts for the outfeed table (the two on the front are under the front shroud). If you loosen these, set the thickness to 0 and lay a level across the table you can get it to level, it's stiff but does have sight movement. There are also 4 bolts (one which is replaced by a locking leaver) for the in-feed table - make sure these are tight too as it can wobble. I took out the locking leaver and just used to bolt."

Hi - so I have copied and pasted this from another forum but this is basically how you do it. You do need to remove the front cover to access the bolts (and back if I remember correctly).

"I know this is an old thread but took me a while to work out how to level the table. There are 4 bolts for the outfeed table (the two on the front are under the front shroud). If you loosen these, set the thickness to 0 and lay a level across the table you can get it to level, it's stiff but does have sight movement. There are also 4 bolts (one which is replaced by a locking leaver) for the in-feed table - make sure these are tight too as it can wobble. I took out the locking leaver and just used to bolt."
Many thanks Sam - much appreciated

Back