Bandsaw scrollsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIGNAL

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried narrow blades on a bandsaw for intricate scrollsaw type cuts? I suppose the tightest curve I'm hoping to cut is approximately 6 or 7 mm diameter in 15 mm Mahogany. My Bandsaw has roller guides but I think I can easily switch them for hardwood dowels. . . . and where can one buy narrow blades? I've heard of 1/16th and 1/8th but never seen one listed. Not that I've looked very hard.
. . . or should I go out and buy a Scrollsaw?

I had this very same conversation via email yesterday with Ian at TuffSaws. He stocks 1/8 blades and he warned me about the guide fouling issue.

I'd drop him a message with your blade size or just browse his site. His blades are highly regarded by the people who frequent this forum.

Jon

The Carter Stabilizer works pretty good for very narrow blades:
140819.jpg

Don't know if you can get one to fit your saw, though.

Kirk

I spent several years using 1/8" blades for cutting letters and logos for signage, exhibition and display. You will struggle to get round 6mm dia with that size without nibbling your way round, if you see what I mean. I used to buy 100 foot coils from Starrett and silver solder my own blades. Easy to do. I've never used 1/16", but that may do the job. Scroll saw may be simpler and more convenient for you, but much slower than a bandsaw. May be the best option if you don't have to do a lot of work. Tuffsaws seems to be well-regarded here. You could also email Starrett; they will tell you where you can buy their blades. I used to make blade guides from brass rod (available in round and bar section). Probably last longer than hardwood.

HTH

Pete

Back