Bandsaw buying advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to buy a bandsaw for various projects and realise that there is a lot of makes and specifications, I would like some help to determine the make and model which would suit an amateur wood worker.

I am not sure on how much to spend but would say a maximum of £400 , I would buy secondhand but so far I have not found any used bandsaws at a reasonable cost.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.

I’m assuming you have space for a floor standing machine, so I’d be looking for something like a Startrite 352, Startrite 14S1 or 14S5, which are great machines that holds / increases their value extremely well. For other brands you want to look for the most industrial machine you can find, the bigger, beefier / designed for industry the better. This is one machine that needs to be really stiff in order to achieve the necessary blade tension, which is the most important requirement for it to operate correctly. Sideways and I rebuilt a SCM S45 and created a thread on it which details virtually everything about the technical aspects of assessing a machine. It’s linked in the thread I wrote on bandsaw blade guide theory

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/bandsaw-blade-guide-theory.135481/

Back