Axminster TS250-2 modifications.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JessEm stock guides added to the fence, to tuck these away above the fence, the JessEm track had to moved back from the face of the fence and the area increased, this was achieved with a 60 x 30mm aluminium angle attached to the side of the fence back, the fence also has a ridge running along the top that prohibits a flat area so a strip of 2mm aluminium was placed under the guide rail to accommodate this lip.

Mike

DSC01361.jpg

DSC01360.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01361.jpg
    DSC01361.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 2,022
  • DSC01360.jpg
    DSC01360.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 2,022
I am considering lowering the angle of approach to the guard to 35deg to make the guard easier to lift over the stock being pushed into it, the guard is supported by a long cantilever arm at the back and this moves when the guard is being pushed by the approaching stock, my preferred alternative is to put a counterbalance weight on the rear of the guard attached to the upper parallel guide arm, any thoughts?

Guard 2.1.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Guard 2.1.jpg
    Guard 2.1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,958
When are we going to see video of this stuff in action, Mike? .. photos are fantastic, but video would be even better. I'd love to see a video tour of all the changes you have made.

GET ON IT!

Also : Did you really spend £250 on the guides? .. for a £600 saw?

Away for a couple of weeks so will not be soon I'm afraid, but will post as soon as I have something substantial to put up.

Yes I did spend on the JeeSem guides, but what price safety? Not only that I will still have them when I eventually upgrade if I ever do that is, at the moment the saw is perfect for what I need and want, it cuts straight, has adequate power and the side cast iron table is accurate enough for mitres, and what I bought at today's price it's nearer £800.00

Mike

MikeJhn":ewrrmi2z said:
I am considering lowering the angle of approach to the guard to 35deg to make the guard easier to lift over the stock being pushed into it, the guard is supported by a long cantilever arm at the back and this moves when the guard is being pushed by the approaching stock, my preferred alternative is to put a counterbalance weight on the rear of the guard attached to the upper parallel guide arm, any thoughts?

Mike

Over 200 views since posting the above and no one has a thought, come on guys, what is the approach angle on your guard? Anyone have a counterbalanced guard? Any advantages or disadvantages of either system?

Mike

Finally got the crown guard and extract finished:

DSC01412.jpg

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

Mike

3900/08/06

Attachments

• DSC01412.jpg
    DSC01412.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,734
  • DSC01420.jpg
    DSC01420.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,733
  • DSC01413.jpg
    DSC01413.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,733
  • DSC01430.jpg
    DSC01430.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 1,645
Nice work. I know I keep saying this, but you really need to make a video of this and stick it up on youtube, lots of people will appreciate it, and easier to digest!

Perhaps when I have the table finished and all the draws etc finalised I may think about it, but its certainly not on my list of to do items.

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to document your mods.

If you have time, a bit of an overview of the sliding mitre table would be much appreciated! :wink: There is a poor review on the Axminster site for the TS200-2 variant of the sliding table and i am very close to going for the TS250-2 with the same options that you have. However if the sliding mitre table isn't up to scratch then i may choose other options.

Thanks!

The sliding mitre table is a good option, having never set up a sliding table on any other saw, I don't know if its easy to set up or not, takes a bit of time to get it level with the main table as adjustments are underneath the slide, but once set they stay that way, adjusting the mitre to the blade is very easy, loosen off the grub screw and turn the stop, could not be easier, the L shaped hold down has to be in place as the arm pivots around it, the table itself is very stable and runs freely on the slide, would not be without it on this saw.

If you want any specific information just ask.

Mike

Picture hosting by Photobucket seems to have gone, so the pics on page one have been directly posted to prevent blanks appearing.

Mike

photobucket has chainged their terms of service so is now not possible to link from them to another site unless you pay for the service.

This just looks too useful to ignore:

Sliding table end.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Sliding table end.jpg
    Sliding table end.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,399
I think I actually own the prototype of that.

My old Kity 419 had an interesting history. Original an eval/review unit, apparently it featured in a magazine. It had two owners before me, and I've now passed it on to Rafezetter. I'm using the sliding table with my TS200, and the rail has that fitting. I believe it was made by the original owner for a magazine article.

The rail isn't on the saw presently, but I can put my hand to the "stop" almost immediately, as it's safe in a tool drawer. I'll have a look later and post a comparison pic...

:)

E.

PS there were a couple of other mods done to it when I got it, I think mainly relating to DX. Will try to remember.
PPS: It _is_ a useful thing, as long as you have the space round the saw in the first place. I'd prefer the rail to be another 500mm or so longer, to handle small sheet stock better, but, IIRC, Kity only sold it in the short 1200m or (stupidly long) 3m alternatives. The long one had extra legs, but the saw and carriage is unsuitable for working with 8x4 sheets, etc, so I struggle to see the point. I'm guessing Kity didn't sell many units!

Had to make one:

table end.jpg

Mike

9/08/5232
15/08/5375

Attachments

• table end.jpg
    table end.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,347
Hey Mike

I looks that you know evertthing about the TS250-2, and i have i ?
My fence is tilting about 87 deg. , and i cant find a way to calibrate this, any idea? I did ask axminister, and the pointed out a bolt inside the cabinet when you remove the left side cover, but when i tried to adjust this bolt it bent, and it is illogical that this will straighten up the fence. If this is
the correct way, there must be one of the most complicated ways to straighten a fence? I hope you can help, THX::))

EWS

Do you have the sliding table on your saw, may seem a strange question, but the fence is different if you have this.

First off adjust the main fence, take off the rip fence if fitted, check that the front and back rails are in alignment with each other and the table, check that the sliding base is seated on the front rail, loosen off the four bolts on top of the fence and try to get the fence to 90 deg's if all other things are correct and it will still not stay at 90 deg's then it may be that the connecting plate below the fence is bent, undo the four bolts on top of the fence and take it off, check its position with the rail, both should be horizontal with each other.

Post what you find.

Mike

Back