Axminster-Trade-Series-AWFS18-Scroll Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow will see me attempt my first piece of scrolling, nothing fancy just an MDF relief of a lighthouse (alongside other stuff) for a kids nursery project...dont laugh we all have to start somewhere hahahaha.
Can one envisage any problems with the internal windows/doors and top holes any advice would be appreciated regarding speed settings blade size etc...obviously I'll practice a little beforehand
Regards
C

Attachments

• lighthouse relief.jpg
    lighthouse relief.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 964
Enjoy your first cutting session xiphidius.

About the only problem I anticipate with your lighthouse refers back to your post of 5th Feb - if someone comes through that door suddenly it could easily put you off your stroke :D

Have fun.

AES

Thanks Brian...
and AES
if someone comes through that door suddenly it could easily put you off your stroke
I will have enough trouble keeping up with my stroke without any voyeurism :lol:
Let ya know how it goes
Regards
C

ive been debating what saw to get for a while.
now ive got some spare cash and the garage is more or less sorted to build my bench this weekend.
I didn't know axminster had a branch in north shields which is about 30 odd miles north and saw the trade series awfs18 on there for £460 so I could pick up. maybe a bit more than I was wanting to pay as a newbie but don't want to go too cheap.
if I went to a cheaper one what would you recommend.
I keep looking on ebay for 2nd hand hegners, but they are either single speed or too far away.

I don't know that particular machine, but if you look at Claymore's work, often shown in this section, I'm sure you'll agree that based on his work any recommendation from him is worth following.

But I have often dealt with Axi for other stuff and have found them an excellent company in every respect.

So I think you're well sorted mate - and don't forget the old saying about the price/cost of a good purchase is soon forgotten in all the pleasure to be had from that purchase (or some saying along those lines anyway :D ).

Best of luck and enjoy yourself.

AES

hi, thx brian, I think it warrants paying an extra couple of hundred for a better machine to last.
yes I want to make stuff to sell. as I said in previous threads I can get scrap bits of solid wood from work. we have a timber factory next door to our work also , so might get bits from them. I also install furniture we make for a lot of schools in the county durham, tyne/tees area and they always have old furniture to chuck out and some of its solid stuff, so that will cut down my expenses.

For what its worth dorloray, I was originally going to buy a Hegner entry level model standard single speed no frills.
Axminster was advised by Brian, I'm glad I took his advice, this is some piece of kit...sturdy robust vibration free and virtually no noise
I dont know what the Hegners are like but the'd have to be good to beat this...and again I thank Brian for his timely advice.
Axminster after sales are up to par also if you need help
I promise you you will not be disappointed with this machine.
Regards
C

im building my bench on Saturday, not sure if i've missed it in the thread but at what height should I make it. i'm 6 foot tall. do people prefer standing or sitting at the saw.

cheers
ray

As you're a relatively new member here darolay I don't want to be rude or simply unhelpful - but this exact question has been asked several times just recently - and the search function is generally acknowledged to be "not superior" here, but it does work!

I've just used the search function ("sit or stand at scroll saw") and immediately came up with 4 direct hits and at least 3 more which touch on this subject.

But it comes down to this - set a height which you personally find comfortable (i.e. rig up something first and try several variations on that). Same applies to sit or stand - and BTW, some people even prefer the top of the stand to be tilted forward/downward (i.e. lower at the front). Personally I always sit, and my table top is horizontal, but that's just me.

In other words it's a purely personal decision, there's no real "right" or "wrong".

I recommend you try the same search as above, then try a bit of experimenting to find what suits you before making a final decision.

HTH

AES

im sorry aes, I guess as this thread was about the saw im going to buy, I was having a lazy moment while having my dinner.:)
I normally do use search as I want to learn as much as I can, and the guys on here are fantastic for learning.

OK mate, thanks, but no need to apologise. I ask questions on here a lot (that's how I learn!).

Hope you enjoy your new saw - and at a working height that really suits you. :D

AES

I built the frame work up for my bench yesterday just need to sort out the top,panels for sides and doors/drawers for the front.
I made it 900mm high but made the bottom/shelf about 200mm from floor, so if the saw is too high I can cut the legs down a bit.
ive been looking about but could not find out how high the saw table is from the bottom of the saw.

cant wait to pick it up next weekend or weekend after

I was gonna go up to north shields this weekend to get it, I went on the axminster site to reserve one and they have put it up from £460 to £532 surely this is an error, that's a big jump. they close at 7pm but gonna give them a ring tomorrow

thanks, ive sent a message on that but no way im drving as its 330 miles, ive asked if its variable speed and a price on delivery.

still gonna ring axminster up tomorrow as I think £72 price rise is really bad.

thanks again, ill let you know what they say

Back