Axminster-Trade-Series-AWFS18-Scroll Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scrimper":17n22apl said:
Haven't you got the box open yet?

Don't you have to break a bottle of champagne across the bows? I think Brian drunk his when he launched HMS Axminster.

Hahahaha I'm a patient type guys, I will open the box a little later tonight but I want to build a table first and foremost and that cant happen until the weekend when I can get to buy some timber.
No rush guys hahahaha.
A question if I may.....How much slope do you think is sufficient front to back......

From floor level how much higher is the rear plate of your saw in relation to the front?

Rear measurement = ( ) mm
Front Measurement = ( ) mm

Your help appreciated in this matter

as for a tipple of celebration...will this suffice lol
Regards
C

Attachments

• big bush.jpg
    big bush.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,002
Congrats on you new arrival xiphidius.

Re your Q about table height, as already said answering a previous post of yours, my own table top is absolutely level.

As mentioned in that US beginners vid I linked to a few days back, the guy there suggested it reduces strain and aches & pains on the shoulders and neck muscles to have a sloping top (higher at the back, lower at the front). And I've seen similar comments before that vid, so when I got my new saw I tried that in mock up form, but fixed firmly enough to actually use the saw. I found exactly to the contrary, I got MORE aches & pains, but that's me, and I have long standing back & shoulder problems anyway.

So FWIW, I would strongly advise when building your table to make it easy to change after your first attempt (IMHO you need at least a couple of hours at the saw to decide what's comfortable/what isn't); OR curb your (natural) enthusiasm on building the "final" table and instead, first lash up something to allow you to try various set ups and heights/angles until you're sure exactly what you really want - I think we're all different in such matters.

Also FWIW, I sit at my saw table, on a height adjustable typist's chair and will often adjust the chair height slightly (and/or the back rest angle too sometimes) as a cutting session progresses.

In my case the top of the table on which the machine rests is 73 cm off the ground (level, as said), and the top of the machine table itself ends up at 91 cm. Remember though that the table on my saw does not tilt, whereas yours does (for angle cutting). That could make a difference?

But all that's just me, and "your mileage may vary" (probably/almost certainly will).

HTH, & good luck.

AES

Thanks AES for your concise analysis of the situation in hand.
I will be making a basic table of which I have already drawn up some plans. I was going to make it tilt but as you so rightly pointed out I will play around with the idea until the final measurements present themselves to suit my own personal seating or standing position...
The actual design is stable and simple in itself and the timber wont cost the earth so I wont be breaking the bank on this prototype...I will make it level for now (would save me a lot of headaches) and see how things go. All remains to be seen.
Will post images once I have it made..
Thank you for taking time out to answer my question
Regards
C

Please can the good members of this brilliant site tell me how to de-grease the saw table (post transit)...I understand the logic but I think they have overkilled it by quite a bit imo lol...How and what with would one clean all this gunk
as usual your replies are very much appreciated
Regards
C

Is it "old" grease that's hardened off, or just soft?

If soft, wipe as much as you can off with old newspapers, etc. If hard, "attack" it with something like a WOODEN fish slice and get off as much as you can. Then follow up with paraffin and newspaper to get the worst of the rest off.

In either case, after the above, simply apply acetone and use kitchen roll or something similar to finish off. (Do NOT use acetone on any painted surface!).

Clean? Then apply a THIN coat of past wax with tissues or soft cloth.

AES

Hopefully I will get a little chance later on today Brian to assess its mechanicals lol
First pick up some timber, drop the War Dept to her place of work
then I have a little bit of storm damage to attend to (house fascia)
then give the grandsons box a lick of paint
then finish the simplistic scroll saw table experiment
De-grease the whole thing, wax the table mount the cutoff switch box
then maybe just maybe I'll get to butcher a piece of wood as you say in the trade :p
No rest for the wicked
I will post some pics of the little table and hopefully get to mount and secure the saw to it
as a matter of fact what did you folks use to secure the table Hex screws/bolts ??
Regards
C

I'm gonna phone Mr Trump asking him to sign an executive order promoting a 48hr day...24 simply is not enough...I never got half of my intended jobs done today....but what I did get started was the stand...(not yet finished)
It is intended for use in the seated position and stands 820mm to the top of the Scroll saw table.
Its made from cheap timber from my local B&Q
1 pce 38x63x2440 = £3
1 pce 100x25 (fascia) found in garage
1 pce 25mm MDF (I had laid around) roughly 520x320 before shaping
Some corner brackets from Screwfix circa £4
http://www.screwfix.com/p/stretcher-pla ... pack/12920
http://www.screwfix.com/p/angle-braces- ... pack/67412
Screws (various) already in tool box
So all made for less than a tenner....

Please dont be too hyper-critical guys as I'm no Joiner/Cabinetmaker but can knock a few screws in here and there. I'm half decent with a tape measure as I was a Glass-cutter in a previous life. lol
Its all taking shape...I need to make a board at the back on which to mount the emergency stop button (switch) and probably some type of blade holder..(got some ideas so see what comes about)

Well... will it do???
What do you think of it so far???....Constructive criticism accepted
anything else I should add???

Thanks for following this fledgling Scroller, and for all your help thus far
Regards
C

Attachments

• scroll Saw Stand Collage25p.jpg
    scroll Saw Stand Collage25p.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1,088
TBH ..Bruce, I havent even got round to opening the additional packaging hopefully I'll have a bracket for the NVR switch like you.
The table will be bolted to the floor and I have already pre-drilled the holes for that..I will access and rectify the lateral aspect.
Off to look to see if I have the illusive bracket lol
Cheers Buddy.
Regards
C
Oh BTW here's my tilted version hahahaha

Attachments

• with Saw tilt.jpg
    with Saw tilt.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,066
I got this Brian...Sussed it..lot to be said for reading a manual hahahaha
I also discovered that they sent me an extra pack of Pegas blades x3...(freebie)...Happy Days. plus I have the non branded set which came with the machine. so should be ok for blades for a while...lol

Altogether now... NVR switch and air delivery system fitted.
Just not overly impressed with the kink in the semi rigid tubing (or the material used for the vibrating diaphragm)..this could split if not careful, just a small gripe but some silicone tubing may have been better. (from an aquarist's standpoint lol) I can see this failing in time.

Toolstation I'll look that one up lol

Thanks for the pointers
Regards
C

Attachments

• NVR switch attached.jpg
    NVR switch attached.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,054
I must say Clarence (!), referring to your post with the six pix of your table, the top middle pic looks a little unsuitable to me - whereas the top right looks much more sensible. Did you redesign the table between those 2 pix? :D :D :D

Have a good weekend mate.

AES

I have went with Brian's advice to strengthen the lateral sides of the leg stanchions a little and have glued and screwed a couple of little wooden blocks (scrap from the front fascia) I'm happy to report its a little more sturdier now. Thanks Brian.

Apologies guys for what is probably a boring thread to most with no evidence yet of actual scrolling. Hopefully that will change shortly as I'm on another project which should intertwine at some point. Perhaps the images of the basic stand construction may be of some use to someone (hence the inclusion) I would like to include a little blade and tool holder at some point.
Regards
C

Attachments

• laterals.jpg
    laterals.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,007

Latest posts

Back