Axminster - change in customer service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcleod

Established Member
Reaction score
All,

Please be careful when ordering from Axminster using the website, especially regards the delivery.

I placed an order yesterday for a number of small items and as I have done many times before I opted for standard delivery, because in the past my experience of standard delivery was that it would arrive next day.

Was therefore surprised when I checked the despatch note to find out that it had been sent Royal Mail, 1st Class post !

Called Axminster, and got a response that I had never expected from them, the old - well if you look at the standard terms it specifies,,,etc etc etc, the usual sort of response you get when dealing with a call centre for a big company who only care about your money and not about service etc.

Now my experience of Axy in the past has on the hole been very positive, they have been helpful, and in general the customer service was great - HOWEVER, it looks like something has changed, the person who took the call was more on intent on talking than listening, and when I asked for a manager I got the same, and at one point she even said, that the cost of before midday was only a little less, as if to imply that the non delivery is my fault.

Now if this sounds like a rant then it probably is !

Am I steamed up about bad service from a company I previously trusted - oh you bet !!

Will I go back to Axminster again - maybe, but only if I can get to a store, because if today was an example of their online customer service, it was rubbish.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I still remember the days when most mail order companies used to say "Allow 21 days for delivery".

What's wrong with Royal Mail First Class - it normally arrives next day in most parts of the Country?

You didn't pay or request next day delivery but opted for Standard - that for most other Co. means 3 to 5 business days.
I think Axy are doing very well sending it out First Class?

Rod

Rod - you are missing the point

standard delivery used to be next day

royal mail do not guarantee a next day delivery, not on 1st class

So if you pay for standard delivery its not necessarily going to be next day

And my post delivery has been and gone, and no goods, so in this case, 1st Class hasnt met the target.

For those who haven't read the Axminster Delivery Information and are interested.

* Standard - Our aim is to despatch your order the same day for delivery via Axminster Logistics the next working day (Monday-Friday). All orders under 2kg are normally delivered via Royal Mail 1st Class - please allow up to 5 working days for delivery. For urgent orders we recommend the Premium service.

** Premium - Available Monday-Friday for orders received by 4pm. Orders under 2Kg are normally delivered via Royal Mail Special Delivery and are delivered before 1pm.

*** Nominated Day - Delivery will be made by Axminster Logistics on either dedicated vehicles or a carrier. Nominate your preferred delivery day and every effort will be made to deliver on your nominated day. If delivery is to be made using Axminster Logistics dedicated vehicles then this will be a personal service including offloading and assistance with positioning where practical. If you require a quick delivery time then it is possible that this may be delivered via a carrier.

Both standard and nominated day options are £4.95 on orders under £50 or free on orders over £50.

but standard delivery doesnt guarantee next day either does it? I guess that these were small bits because it would be more expensive than a courier if they were heavy or large (or higher value)?

As far as I am aware, Axi have always used first class postage in such situations.

I can understant the OPs frustration with not receiving the goods when in the past he would have done, but I can also see this from Axminsters POV and I encourage you to do the same. You agreed to Standard Delivery which can take up to 5 days. What more can they do if they have sent it ? I don't know if they have changed their T&Cs since you last order, sounds like they have.

Std delivery usually arrives next day but not every time. The risks of that happening are far more related to complexities in Royal Mail than Axy. Last week I ordered some vix bits at 4pm and they STILL arrived next day (even I was surprised). That meant Axy must have picked and packed that order almost the moment I hit the return key!!

Their service is just superb 99.9% of the time. My guess is the person you spoke to was having a bad hair day. All my experiences are counter to yours so my bet is its a one off.

marcros":1mo2ha2a said:
As far as I am aware, Axi have always used first class postage in such situations.

That's always been my experience, standard delivery is first class and doesn't guarantee next day delivery (but it nearly always is next day), well that's what i remember from the postage options on the order page. I don't know if it changes for high value orders apart from standard becoming free over £50?

As far as customer service goes, I have always heard only good things, it would be a shame if that were to change. On the other hand it sounds like they were in the right and you were wrong, I don't mean this confrontationally, but there is only so far customer service can go and if the delivery terms are written as a description at checkout, which it is, then there is nothing she can or could do. Maybe she could have been friendlier and maybe she should have passed you on to her manager, if it made you feel better, bit he would have just told you the same thing which probably wouldn't have made a difference, I wasn't in the call so can't say.

John

About 3 years ago I ordered a bandsaw from Axminster tools, when I opened it I discovered the paint finish chipped in several places, I rang them up and rather than get a replacement (at axminsters expense) I asked for a small pot of paint so I could touch in the damaged areas, I also said I was ordering a set of their bandsaw blades and would they waiver the postage costs as they could send out the paint at the same time, a definite 'no' was the reply.
So I save axminster the cost of picking up and redelivering a bandsaw and they couldn't even say thanks by giving me free postage on 5 or 6 bandsaw blades.
I emailed them saying exactly that, they refunded my P&P costs with an apology.

Baldhead

speeder1987":3kxnyiso said:
marcros":3kxnyiso said:

That's always been my experience, standard delivery is first class and doesn't guarantee next day delivery (but it nearly always is next day), well that's what i remember from the postage options on the order page.

Mine too. Although I tend to read the Terms and Conditions before ordering... - especially, delivery.

I think I may have had that same lady though, on a recent order... Not helpful and left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Hi
I bought some small items just 2 weeks ago (1pm) from Axi and was told that my order was over £50 so free standard delivery and up to 3 days delivery but it arrived next afternoon and i live on the Mull of Kintyre.

Ernie

It's an unjustified rant. You need to tale a look at yourself before blaming Axminster.

It's an unjustified rant. You need to tale a look at yourself before blaming Axminster.
+1
The terms and conditions are quite clear that standard delivery for orders under 2kg will normally be delivered via Royal Mail 1st Class whic could take anything up to 5 days. It does not seem that Axminster are in any way at fault here.

When you phoned them did you" go in all guns blazing" ???.
Just because some orders usually arrive next day does not mean all orders will arrive next day. Pay the premium price for next day delivery and if it does not arrive then you have cause for complaint. once a order is dispatched it is in the hands of the carrier and Axy cannot predict or control any delay in delivery .
If i order on a 3-5 day delivery schedule and it arrives next day its a nice bonus if it takes 5 days the hey ho its what i paid for or what came free with the order.

MARK.B.":ojrpuck0 said:
When you phoned them did you" go in all guns blazing" ???.
Just because some orders usually arrive next day does not mean all orders will arrive next day. Pay the premium price for next day delivery and if it does not arrive then you have cause for complaint. once a order is dispatched it is in the hands of the carrier and Axy cannot predict or control any delay in delivery .
If i order on a 3-5 day delivery schedule and it arrives next day its a nice bonus if it takes 5 days the hey ho its what i paid for or what came free with the order.

+1

This is exactly what I dislike most about the Internet, it gives pernicious little sh1ts like you a platform to air non existent grievances. I would say Axminster are probably better off without your business.Get a life.

Richard S":2tw3h23d said:
This is exactly what I dislike most about the Internet, it gives pernicious little sh1ts like you a platform to air non existent grievances. I would say Axminster are probably better off without your business.Get a life.

+1

Without doubt the best reply to the OP yet =D> =D> :mrgreen:
Must admit that was my very first thought as well LOL

Richard S":3hkp6k81 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah but without posts like that there would be nothing to get het up about! Definately a storm in a teacup and a no-win confrontation for Axminster (who have always given me excellent service).

Not the fault of the internet, just it's users. I've been waiting for a minor spare part for a vice for 11 months despite several phone calls. ( I forgot about it tbh :lol: ) Sent a polite but suitably worded email to a director late last night result of which was a call to me at 8.30 this morning and part is in the post. No need for agro!

Bob

Back