Are trade (Carpenters and Joiners ) welcome on this site ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Its just struck me that maybe people are thinking well i cant do that because i dont have all his / her machinery etc .
Ok i have and use a few machines to do my work but i need to earn a living from wood work so machines make it faster . Everything i make i can do by hand if i had no machines !
Are people getting annoyed by trade posts ?
Are people not posting because of the trade people on here ?
Be honest and i hope the lurkers post thier opinions too :D

I think that in my relatively brief time here I have seen people of all skill levels and equipment capacities, number of hand tools, etc., come and go [at least as far as posting goes].

Most people who do not know how to accomplish something with what they have ask. That or ask what they need to accomplish it.

As for trade people--me thinks most here are hobbyists, like most forums. Heck, that's what I am again.

Take care, Mike

In my experience nobody has a monopoly on ideas, experience and inspiration. I value everyones comments and views :wink:

Paul (a happy amateur, always willing to learn from others)

I'm glad to have professionals on this forum. I learn so much from you. I read a lot of what's discussed but post infrequently because I have little to contribute. I'm sure there are many lurkers like me simply happy to shut-up and listen.

JFC,

All are welcome on the forum. :D

Its good to have a mix of trade and 'hobby' woodworkers their views may be different, due to deadlines and making a profit, but I have learnt from both. 8) It is very useful for a hobby woodworker to know how things we see in use are put together, I get into trouble for taking too much interest in the woodwork in places when I should be paying attention to something else.:whistle:

I figure that when I stop learning things its time to get in me box and as thats still on the tuit list, I best keep on trying things I have never done before, not always with the results that I hoped for but I can always light the wood burner and start again. :shock:

We all have differing experiences ..... training ....... talents ....... and goals. I think a mix of every type, as we seem to have here, is by far the best.

If someone in the trade has the time and interest to post and give advice, all the better for the forum and everyone on it.

JFC":2evyqtxp said:
Its just struck me that maybe people are thinking well i cant do that because i dont have all his / her machinery etc .
Ok i have and use a few machines to do my work but i need to earn a living from wood work so machines make it faster . Everything i make i can do by hand if i had no machines !
Are people getting annoyed by trade posts ?
Are people not posting because of the trade people on here ?
Be honest and i hope the lurkers post thier opinions too :D

To be honest JFC I think the site would be much poorer without the opinions and insight gleaned from professional woodworkers like yourself, Scrit, John Elliot, Senior et al. We're not the biggest bunch of woodworkers in the world but what we have is generally valued by all.
Every day is a school day for all of us, after all.
Rgds

Noel

JFC
You also have to remember that not all of the the trades peolpe on here have all the tools :roll: :wink: but I still get tips and anwsers to questions I have from the other pro's on here.

Like it has been said, we allhave been trained in different ways and some of us do different things in the trade.

Well it works for me :D
Ps When you where getting advice on spraying, I was also lokking at it because that was one of my probelms too

Noel , we may not be the biggest but the British wood worker is the best ! Always have been and always will be :wink:

to be honest some of the so called hobbyist have better equipped work shops than some pro workshops, and I for one would like to know were they get their cash from. :shock: i've just stated work in a joiners shop and some of the ideas that I have picked up from this site have been most helpful , no matter who they came from.

Without the trades people on here it would be like the blind leading the blind. I for one have gleaned a lot of information from you guys. I am only part time trade but never stop learning from all of the people on here regardless of what their standing is. :wink:

Hi JFC

I think it's wonderful that all of the professionals who come on here give their time freely helping others. I learn something new every day.

Thanks to you all,
Neil

Hi JFC

I'd say most of the time yes we are. Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to remember back how to do things by hand, the way you had to before mechanisation arrived, before you bought that power tools or static machine to knock 2 minutes off cutting a joint. I've recently been asked a question by PM about M&T joints - in answering it I realised I hadn't actually hand cut a scribed mortice and tenon for about 2 years. That's not a brag, it's a commercial necessity. And the recent discussions about the use of the rod, something a traditionally trained joiner or cabinetmaker takes for granted but which is almost unknown in amateur spheres was quite enlightening. Being on here has helped me re-evaluate parts of my approach - I've found that the act of describing how to do something and seeing how others approach the same problem can be quite cathartic. Long may it so continue in an atmosphere free from commercial pressure, I say

Scrit

To me asking whether people object to professionals posting is like asking if people are fed up with people from Dorset posting, or are there too many members called Paul? (Yes to both, natch... :wink: ) If someone's working with wood (and yes, MDF counts :roll: ) then it's their forum, isn't it? Doesn't matter to me if they do it for love or money - although I do tend to get irritable if anyone pulls out the "I get paid for this, ergo I know more than you, you 'orrible little amateur" attitude, but we're mercifully free of that by and large. And anyway "I've been doing this longer than you, ergo I know better" will trump that every time, and amateurs can be as guilty of that as anyone. :lol: Everyone learns from everyone else, sometimes even when they thought they already knew the answer; s'what makes it great. :D

Cheers, Alf

I think the forum would be a poorer place if it were limited to only one level of woodworking. Like many others on this site I started as a serious hobbyist and now run a commercial workshop albeit a one man band with casual labour and outworkers. Still, I can,and have learnt from "amateurs"who perhaps have more time to study methods of work and are willing to share their knowledge.
So, I believe that this forum which has always ignored race, colour, creed and political bent,much to its credit,should not for its own good discriminate against levels of skill or the need to produce furniture.

Dom

No man is an island!!!!!

Alf":2ib5hvec said:
To me asking whether people object to professionals posting is like asking if people are fed up with people from Dorset posting
Cheers, Alf

Ahh...what's wrong with Waka posting? :whistle:
Philly :wink:

I don't know everything and neither does anyone else. That is why this forum works so well. The pooling of ideas ind information is just so useful!
Whether the members are professional or DIYers is not important but the exchange of information and the consequent up-grading of skills is!
I only post occasionally but I read everything. I learn something almost every day from you guys.
Whoever you are and whatever your level of expertise - please don't go away!
Thank you all for taking the time to be here.

SF

Same as everyone else has said - everyones input is valuable,as we all can learn from each other.Also,this is not limited to woodwork - some of the knowledge available on the "general" froum is quite staggering (and incredibly useful)
I enjoy opinions from different people,as I believe that generally,there is no "right" and "wrong" way - just different ones 8)

So,long may the eclectic mix continue :eek:ccasion5:

Andrew

Back