Are trade (Carpenters and Joiners ) welcome on this site ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":18uoh58d said:
Alf":18uoh58d said:
are there too many members called Paul?

Quite handy really. If I post something stupid, I can always claim it was one of the others :lol:

Paul

In my youth I belonged to a rock band. 5 people, 4 Pauls. Come to think of it. that would have been a good name for the band.

I love to see professional help. I am a newbie so all the help I can get!

Just as long as people don't use the forum to push their business. No evidence of that so far.

The purpose of a forum is to learn from each other. No matter what your experience or knowledge everyone has something to offer. I for one have learnt so much from the members whatever their background.

I am a professional carpenter of 25 years experience - in building maintainance. Ask me how to fit a door closer, or how to drill out a lock, or how to hang a door and I'll give you an answer.

Ask me how to build a gateleg table or a jewelry box and I don't have a clue. (actually I obviously know the basics - but lack the practical knowledge.).

So I come on here to learn. I come on here to pick up good techniques, where to buy stuff, how to design stuff etc etc - even what mistakes others have made.

We all have different skills and experiences. I fully respect ANY amateur on here who "has a go". If he/she can make a bit of money by doing so, or eventually go into business from it, then ruddy well done.
Woodworking is such a HUGE field. I NEED you guys to help me - but at times you WILL NEED me as a pro. It works both ways. We both benefit form each others knowledge.

To be honest, when I first visited this forum I thought I would not be welcome as a Trades person who doesn't make furniture. Instead, I've found a lovely helpful bunch of fellow woodworkers of all levels all willing to help each other. Isn't THAT what it's all about?

Somebody said earlier that the amateurs often have better workshops than the Pros. That is SO right. I have a council 500 sqft Light industrial workshop. But i would give my right arm for some of the kit you guys have got! :shock:

I went self-employed for the first time 2.5 years ago (at 41). I took on my first employee january of this year. I borrow my workshop (though that is about to change and become mine). I Never had to pleasure of a workshop as an apprentice - site work only apart from college). So Joinery is a whole new game to me. fortunately Tony, my employee and colleague is excellent - even though he is a total amateur with no formal training.

I am entering a whole new era of woodworking. Thank goodness for you guys on this site!

EVERYBODY should be welcome here, and not embarrassed by their lack of knowledge/ equipment/ age or sex (well, not lack of sex - lets not go there :lol: )

mark

Speaking as someone who only recently took up the hobby, I have gained a lot of useful information about tools (hand and power varieties) and techniques from this Forum. I've also bought some very helpful books directly as a consequence of recommendations in various posts.

I also have had reason to PM some individuals and everyone has responded in a very helpful manner, with a "nothing's too much trouble" attitude. I've even been able to contact other Northern Ireland woodworkers who have provided very helpful information on local suppliers etc.

All in all, the site has been extremely beneficial to me, and while I'm mainly a "lurker", I'm one who learns a lot from doing so - thanks to one and all! Maybe some day I'll have learned enough to help others!

Paul
(Sorry - another one.....)

I agree with everything that's been said before.

Not only do we all gain valuable information from each other, but I also think friendships mature from a forum like this, that leads to helping each other not only with tools but also help.

So from one Dorset Woodkateer, keep it up whether professional or hobbyest.

As a newcomer to this site, what I like about it is the lack of bickering and everybody seems to respect other peoples way of doing things.

I'm a "pro" but this forum has an immense amount of in depth knowledge, I read loads of stuff esp technical, where I end up thinking "well I never knew that".

If people don't want pro's it wouldn't really bother me, but i'd like people to remember that this pro is a little bit envious of the amateurs who have time to indulge in tools, they have the time to construct their furniture, rather than taking short cuts due to financial and time constraints and also they reap the praise of others, my furniture goes in someones house, I get a quick thank you and thats about it.
Thats why I like to show my work on this site, we all like praise, pro or hobby.

The other advantage if you do it as a hobby is you probably end up with nice furniture in your own home, my wife constantly bangs on about her list of furniture for the house. I just don't get time and I don't want to do it at the weekend, Its the old story of the cobblers kids with no shoes.
I even buy rubbish furniture from ikea, that is how bad it is!!!!!!

I think we should be able to live side by side.

Mr Grimsdale, post the topic and I'll throw in my twopence worth.

senior":is50xiru said:
If people don't want pro's it wouldn't really bother me, but i'd like people to remember that this pro is a little bit envious of the amateurs who have time to indulge in tools, they have the time to construct their furniture, rather than taking short cuts due to financial and time constraints

The other advantage if you do it as a hobby is you probably end up with nice furniture in your own home, my wife constantly bangs on about her list of furniture for the house. I just don't get time and I don't want to do it at the weekend, Its the old story of the cobblers kids with no shoes.
I even buy rubbish furniture from ikea, that is how bad it is!!!!!!

I think we should be able to live side by side.

I too wish I wasn't pushed by financial and time constraints.

I have 3 packs of oak flooring in my hallway waiting to be laid down, been there for a year now, ... likely to be there for another at this rate!

Mark

I have 3 packs of oak flooring in my hallway waiting to be laid down, been there for a year now, ... likely to be there for another at this rate!

Should be nicely acclimatised by then :lol:

I thoroughly enjoy looking at your websites - seeing such wonderful pieces serves as a motivator for me - "one day.."

Andrew

I'd be interested in more discussion about woodworking and earning a living. I'm moving away from joinery at last and hoping to do furniture and other things instead. There's plenty of advice here about how to DO things but 2 of the big fundamentals gets little comment i.e. how to PRICE things and how to SELL things.
What about a separate "trade" heading on the forum?

cheers
Jacob

How to price and how to sell. Very good questions and worthy of further debate IMHO

The only problem with a "Trade" thread is that it immediatly creates a "them and us" situation and only certain people venture there. I've seen a similar thing done on another forum and it lead to bickering etc unfortunetly. I think if one were set up there would have to be defined aspects that could possibly be discussed. The theory is a good one, but I'm not sure about the practicalities. What did you have in mind?

mark

PowerTool":32i4jvfo said:

Should be nicely acclimatised by then :lol:

Andrew

Trouble is Andrew they're stood up due to a lack of room, so they're also gonna be a bit bowed when it comes to finally laying them :oops:

Mark

Pecker":33yn4gmq said:

Mark

Solution: hire an "amateur" to lay it for you. :lol:

I heartily agree with all the comments welcoming every opinion whether from trade or amateur. Despite doing this for money, making a profit is another matter entirely! I still aspire to making a living out of it though, (something thankfully I don't have to do courtesy of a wonderfully understanding wife) and the ability to beg ideas and advice from people with experience of doing just that has renewed my belief that that may one day become a reality.

The only posts I find infuriating are those which:

1/ involve tradespeople whingeing about amateurs nicking their work (never seen one on here but no shortage of similar comments on other forums - S******x for example)

2/ are the "here's an 8' dresser in Oak with hand-cut dovetails that I knocked up this morning in my coffee break" type of thing. - I'm joking for effect here, of course, but you know what I mean - some of the work shown by members here just make me want to give up and get back on my bike for another 15 years as a courier.

If I had to fault this forum in any way it could only be that it verges on being too interesting! There are some days when I get so engrossed in the threads that I end up spending more time in front of my computer than actually doing any work! :roll:

Mark

My Dad was a master carpenter. Back in those days, he was too busy trying to put food on the table to be bothered teaching his son anything related to woodworking. It is only since retiring that I have had the time to indulge in hobbyist type woodworking. While I could cut rafters, instal stairs & railings, erect a garage or a fence(read a lot of books) hobbyist type projects were a learning process again. Forum advice is priceless, no matter whether professionals from the building trades or just plain experienced hobby woodworkers.

Lee

Scrit":t9e6yot2 said:
... recent discussions about the use of the rod...

Where was that, I seem to have missed it somehow and would be very interested to read it.

It's often very difficult to distinguish the amateurs from the pros. So long as everyone tries to help each other, I don't think the difference is relevant.

There are some forums, though, where the pro's try to lay down the law to people they perceive as amateurs. If that happened here, I could imagine it causing trouble; but it doesn't happen here and wouldn't be allowed to happen here, thank goodness.

Gill

As you can see from my number of post's and length of time i have been a member i am definetly a LURKER. I don't get here as often as id rather spend time in the shed :) . I think there is a lot of usefull information on here and the trade people don't put me off

Jacob mentioned that there were no posts on pricing and selling.
I believe these points have been raised and were I more computer litterate I would point you in the right direction, but in my experience you only have to ask on this first class forum and someone will have the answer or give a url to the relevant thread

Good luck

dom

MarkW":3kwq7g7f said:
Pecker":3kwq7g7f said:

Mark

Solution: hire an "amateur" to lay it for you. :lol:

I heartily agree with all the comments welcoming every opinion whether from trade or amateur. Despite doing this for money, making a profit is another matter entirely!

Mark

1) When are you free Mark? :lol:

2). You don't know how relevent that is. I mentioned previously my situation, but what i havent said is that it is only NOW after 2.5 years I am beginning to make a profit, furthermore, My employee has so far this year earned around 5 times as much as me. Trying to pay him, rent the workshop and associated bills, run the van etc, hasn't left much for me. It is only through my fabulous girlfriend we have survived. Obviously one hope this will change soon, but the average is 3 years before you make a real profit ie proper wage.... I can assure you you make more money riding your bike than I do! :?

mark

In July I completed my third year at college in a Carpentry and Joinery course. Nearly two years ago I took up woodworking as a hobby. And right now, I work for a company as a joiner - I tried carpentry, found it didn't really suit me.

Despite the years at college and my spare time spent in the garage, I still enjoy flicking through these forums and I seem to pick up on something new almost every single day.

I've learnt things that can help me in my hobby and also how to make things easier in my job.

I'd have liked to have been a cabinet/furniture-maker ideally - and I may still go on a course in cabinet making or woodturning, etc - these forums give me a glimpse in to the fine woodworking world of what I've been told would never work; thanks to flat-pack Ikea furniture and the cost of hardwoods.

And I'm sure I'll keep coming back here until I've learned everything there is to know on the subject.... :D

Back