Anyone use a knife sharpening "gadget"?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aesmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I get continually frustrated trying to get decent edges on household knives, kitchen knives in particular. I'm now wondering whether I should splash out on one of the various gadgets, like the Lansky system. Does anyone either use anything similar, or have any home-made equivalent? It really goes against the grain to buy something like that but I haven't come up with any sensible way of making one (I don't really do metal work).

Tony S

Knives, shears, secateurs etc I just run across a bench grinder using a very fine wheel and a steady hand.

Disclaimer: I now have Japanese knives and sharpen them on waterstones. They're very sharp.

I think there are 3 parts to this;

1) sharpening a very blunt knife; AFAIK any gadget that does a good job of this is quite expensive. A lot of metal needs to be removed, quite accurately.

2) "steeling" gadget, for soft knives only; a lot of professional kitchens use the "captive steel" device invented by Robert Welch, "Chantry", around £20.

3) abrasive gadget; the "cross ceramic stick" type appear quite plausible; Lansky and Gatco do a pocket money version;

http://www.adventurestars.co.uk/Shop/Kn ... uct+Search

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/gatco_mini_c ... tAodU14AZg

Do these gives the edges I'm currently enjoying? No.

But they're cheaper and easier.

BugBear

I use waterstones and a Ikea ceramic steel on stainless and carbon steel knives.

Pete

I use a cheap device with two rows of hardened steel discs. It's not sophisticated but it's clean and easy to use and fits in the kitchen drawer. This means that knife sharpening can be done in a few seconds when needed, not put off for some special session that never really happens.

I would think sharpening a knife is no different in principle to any other type of blade, ie you have to abrade the cutting edge to form a burr/wire edge.

Knives tend to be made of stainless which I gather is harder than carbon steel so maybe it just takes longer using more strokes on the stone.

JohnPW":1ht5uwrc said:
I would think sharpening a knife is no different in principle to any other type of blade, ie you have to abrade the cutting edge to form a burr/wire edge.

At that reductionist level, yes. But it's the long edge of the blade, the curve, and short depth of the blade (edge to back) that makes the practice of knife sharpening quite different to common woodworking tools.

BugBear

A quick and very cheap way to sharpen a knife is to use an old plate :)

No I've not been drinking super strength or been taking illegal substances!

My wife and sons are both chefs and have some very nice and expensive knifes, but neither of them can get a decent edge by using a knife steel, so they ask me.

What you do is to turn the plate upside down so you have the bottom looking up at you.

667781089_tp.jpg

You then sharpen the knife the same way as if you were using a oil/water stone, the plate acts as a ceramic stone it will give you a fantastic edge! :)

Hope this helps :)
Dave

dazzer":268wfpyk said:
My wife and sons are both chefs and have some very nice and expensive knifes, but neither of them can get a decent edge by using a knife steel, so they ask me.

Interesting - conventional wisdom assumes that professional chefs are the ne plus ultra of sharp knives, both use and creation thereof.

BugBear

mickthetree":f2z69fyo said:
what method do you currently use?
All sorts really, which just shows I haven't got it sorted. My pocket knife and my fish knife can be sharpened quite easily on normal bench stones. The latter is a proper commercial utility knife in carbon steel so no special surprise that it's easier to sharpen. I'm not quite sure why I can sharpen the pocket knife OK but the same techniques don't work on kitchen knives. Aside from that I've tried a diamond "steel" which of course isn't a steel at all, but is an abrasive. That was recommended by a shop selling expensive kitchen knives, but I've not found it that great. I don't have a proper steel, but I presume the sort of hard steel rod used for burnishing scrapers would do the trick.

I have tried my hand at a home made gadget, with some success but it's difficult to hold the blade consistently, and I haven't been able to work out a clamp that holds it with the edge as the reference rather than the back ....

Img_0655.jpg

Ceramic stone for me.

Especially the very hard popular knives found today...the global ones come to mind.

My son is a restaurant manager and he brings his knives over for "sorting" but since using a ceramic touch up wand...he's very happy.

He favours the Global ones (Sabatier for me!)....and it works fine on both.

Gadgets are just that...gadgets...not for me I'm afraid.

Jimi

jimi43":3mivljav said:
Especially the very hard popular knives found today...the global ones come to mind.

Global are only 56-58 Rockwell C; fairly soft by Japanese standards; the powder steel
knives are up at 65 (!!).

BugBear

I have a couple of the Tesco Global knock offs - or that's what they look like - they are harder than hell. After about 15 goes on a diamond plate, they're SHARP. I hone lightly every time I put them away. The rest off mine J A Henckels or Wusthofs - they're not so hard as the Tesco ones.

bugbear":3n77adqg said:
JohnPW":3n77adqg said:
At that reductionist level, yes. But it's the long edge of the blade, the curve, and short depth of the blade (edge to back) that makes the practice of knife sharpening quite different to common woodworking tools.

BugBear
Also the blade flexes making consistent pressure and angle more difficult, and finally it all has to be done on the other side as a mirror image, so any technique needs to be ambidextrous.

Latest posts

Back