Fancy/better quality household plug...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Hello, just wondering if there's somewhat of an option regarding 13a household plugs.
Been using some shoddy old ones from a box for the last few years,
and might consider getting some fancy ones for indoor use.

I've seen mention of H07RNF cable being the bees knees,flexible and somewhat durable,
but I'm not sure of this specific size is referring to a 16 amp supply or not?

Whether that be suitable for 13a supply I don't know.
If so great, I'd like to know if a selection of plugs is available to choose from.

If not, and it is oversized for the likes of my old Bosch drill,
be that for safety concerns running any oversized cable on 13a ,
or just for convenience, i.e not lugging a mooring rope,
I'd like to know if ones choices might differ for various applications.

I also have a pillar drill for instance which needs a bit of TLC .

Anyone got any preferences ?

Thanks
Tom

H07RNF is a cable grade - it comes in sizes as per other cables. Amps depends on size not type. I have it on most power tools. Make sure the outer diameter fits through the rubber sleeve where it enters the tool. You can get 2-core as well, which suits double-insulated tools w/o an earth connection.

I usually go for a 5m lead.

Last edited:
Thanks Rogxwhit
Not sure what "fused through" means, but good to get more terminology
which I will be looking up.

I did not google anything like "heavy duty 13 amp plugs" until now,
but nothing much there that looks better than what you've linked.

I suppose I was looking for the Lie-Nielsen of plugs, no wait that would be 60hz! :)
What I'm wanting to know if there's a Clifton of the plug world.

I don't have many things which I want to upgrade,
but it might be nice for the pillar drill, bandsaw, and tablesaw,
and perhaps going with something cheapish like suggested for the handheld Bosch drill,
which doesn't get quite the same care being stuffed into a press, or on the bench.

Cheers
Tom

LOL Thanks @Phil Pascoe for pointing that out,
I must clean the dust on the screen.

I couldn't get the link to work, but found Screwfix Eire
annoyingly no view of the other side.
Have these whatever quick change fuse is called, like on the sturdy moulded
chainsaw plug I have, or any other features?

I get the impression that moulded plug is tougher than anything else I have.

Tough plugs are fine. Be aware that all BS approved 13A plugs are usually designed for 15 to 16g cable (approx 1.5mm2). 1.5mm2 is rated for 15A max (3.6KW@240V).

Be aware that all BS approved 13A plugs are usually designed for 15 to 16g cable (approx 1.5mm2).

More than that. It is not permitted by the regs. to connect anything bigger than 1.5mm to a 13A plug.

Note that I am expressing no opinion on this issue, just stating the facts.

See Safely Charging your Electric Vehicle Using a Granny Charger (near the bottom of the page "Why do posts on many on-line forums say that only 2.5mmsq flex should be used?") for the specific BS number. You can find a pdf version of that BS online and confirm it yourself.

H07RNF is a cable grade - it comes in sizes as per other cables. Amps depends on size not type. I have it on most power tools. Make sure the outer diameter fits through the rubber sleeve where it enters the tool. You can get 2-core as well, which suits double-insulated tools w/o an earth connection.

It is worth pointing out that you can also buy H05RNF, which is identical in construction to H07, just with a 500v rating instead of 700v.

In general, due to supply and demand, H07 is cheaper, but if you can find H05 at a good price, it is just as good.

If I need new plugs for the workshop I tend to buy rubber ones as they can take a decent impact without fracturing...

...but I do have a soft spot for this type, you really appreciate them if you end up having to unplug something with greasy hands or have your hands full (as you can pull a plug with one finger).

SuperGrip.jpg

It is worth pointing out that you can also buy H05RNF, which is identical in construction to H07, just with a 500v rating instead of 700v.

In general, due to supply and demand, H07 is cheaper, but if you can find H05 at a good price, it is just as good.
Not entirely.
The H07 and H05 specifications are different not only in Voltage.
H07 is rated medium duty and oil resistance, suited for outdoors, agriculture, stage, etc
H05 is rated light duty, indoor use and in my experience is thinner and less robust.

H05 is not a bad selection for tool power cords but I prefer H07 unless the added thickness is a problem.
H07 definitely better for extension cables as it is more robust and a workshop extension cable is quite likely to see outdoor use / exposure to oil and be walked on or driven over.

Thats what they were called when I was in my formative apprentice years , same as lamps not bulbs(they went in torches). I think every trade has its own language. Those blokes in the sparks forum are wrong, thats what the manufacturers called em. Plugtops

Perhaps it's a descriptive thing, a top would tend to indicate the cover only?

Thats what they were called when I was in my formative apprentice years , same as lamps not bulbs(they went in torches). I think every trade has its own language. Those blokes in the sparks forum are wrong, thats what the manufacturers called em. Plugtops
I was taught that bulbs grew in the garden! :whistle:

I worked with a time-served electrician who'd had his own business with employees and he called them plug tops. Who would I be to differ? His dismissive opinion of more recent incomers who'd trained with the electricity board (referring to underground supplies) was that 'they hadn't a clue how to wipe a lead joint'.

Householders call them plugs, whatever. And refer to building measurements in centimetres ...

It is not permitted by the regs. to connect anything bigger than 1.5mm to a 13A plug
But the regs only cover the fixed electrical instalation and not what people connect to it, PAT testing is not part of 7671 and is also not a legal requirement. It gets more divided because in your home workshop there are no HSE requirements, the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 only cover places of employment and only state that all electrical equipment which could result in injury is maintained in a safe condition but how you actually do this or how often is not stipulated. The sting in the tail is that you must take all reasonable steps to deliver this or if someone gets hurt they hang you out to dry so placing the safety emphasis on you.

Also don't forget that a 13 amp fuse will carry 20 amps without ever blowing and you cannot just classify a cable with a current carrying ability without taking into account volt drop.

Latest posts

Back