Anyone remember what a litre of heating oil cost in 1988.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Was reminiscing about putting oil fired heating in my first house back around 1988.

I remember it cost around £6.50 per week, which was less than we had spent on coal, and a lot less bother.

I have no idea how many litres that was.

If I knew how much it was per litre I could extrapolate and compare with current prices.

I fitted an Oil fired Rayburn into my cottage in 1988, (still going strong, the Rayburn that is!) I also put in a 2500 litre oil tank, with the thinking i would fill it up, never have been able to afford it, I have a mental record for the first 1000 litre of oil I bought was 9 pence a litre.

Skewed slightly, filling my first Mini with petrol at 6/8d a GALLON still caused me some angst! I was working as a trainee I needed a car which regularly got more than I did per week in milage costs!

Phil

I moved into this house in June 1987 and paid 7p a litre for 28 sec kerosene, by comparison I put 1000 litres in the tank earlier this week and paid 92p litre including fuel tax.

We only put 1500l in this time. Partly becasue the cost was 90p compared to what, maybe 35p last time. We have lower usage now that I have the Wiser valves on all the radiators and we also have maybe 300l sitting in a tank on the farm that needs using up so now is as good a time as any. I look forward to my £100 assistance from whichever member of the "Guess Who" game is in power at the time.

Skewed slightly, filling my first Mini with petrol at 6/8d a GALLON still caused me some angst! I was working as a trainee I needed a car which regularly got more than I did per week in milage costs!

Phil

I can only remember this one example, Anston near Worksop, very early '70s. Might've been nearer Lindrick golf club, come to think....
A petrol station which was self-service during the night.
You had to flatten your banknote - £1? £5? - making sure that the corners were not folded over - and somehow deposit it in a machine, before the fuel was dispensed.
My God.
50 years ago.
Frightening....

I remember in the mid '60s petrol being 5/3d (26p) a gallon, and in the '70s putting 50p in the pump for 1 1/3 gallons.
yep, 1973 i had anMG Midget that did 40mpg & petrol was£0.40p/gal = 1p/mile. excuse typing Mable the cat thinks she's a better typist!

yep, 1973 i had anMG Midget that did 40mpg & petrol was£0.40p/gal = 1p/mile. excuse typing Mable the cat thinks she's a better typist!
I had a '74 Midget in "Tundra".
Didn't like the colour until I visited the National at Donnington one year and it was one of the rarest colours going!
Swapped it eventually for a BGT which eventualy got trashed....still miss my Midget to this day.
HWE ("Hughie") 26N.
In the big car park in the sky, I guess.....

I had a '74 Midget in "Tundra".
Didn't like the colour until I visited the National at Donnington one year and it was one of the rarest colours going!
Swapped it eventually for a BGT which eventualy got trashed....still miss my Midget to this day.
HWE ("Hughie") 26N.
In the big car park in the sky, I guess.....
I had a Morris Marina coupe in BLMC Tundra while I was serving at Catterick a while back ('75). I remember the reg OTO213M looked a little bit like a military reg at a glance and several times I was saluted as I drove in to camp thinking it was a staff car.😜 Terrible car, gearbox was naff.

I seem to remember as a child ( back in the late 1950's ), we had an Austin 7
Petrol was 6 pence a GALLON in Aus ( probably about 3 p UK ).
You got a lot of miles for 6 p in an Austin 7 !!
Later in the early 1960's we had a Ford - single spinner. Much bigger car, but still so cheap compared to todays " fuel efficient " cars.

I remember in the very early ‘60s my parents moved into a bungalow and had oil fired central heating installed. Dad proudly told us that the heating oil was six (old pence) a Gallon. That boiler had a cast iron heat exchanger and lasted almost 30 years.

Really?!
It did well.... mind you, I had looked after it.
Great fun, that car, Marina 1500 engine or no!

Thanks for the info.
It was a Triumph 1500 engine - xxap! compared with 1275 'A' series. I've restored many an MG as part of my business, all types, but hated 'bubber rumper' 'B's & Midgets. I did re-shell a BGT ('68) with a post '80 'rubber' bodyshell converted to a chrome one, quite easy to do as the only differences were in outward appearance.

Back