Infrared workshop heating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening,

My workshop is 3,6x3,6m (inside dimensions) and I work almost exclusively with hand tools.

I currently have a 2kW blow heater in the workshop.I am not using it, because it blows dust around (unless I turn off the fan) and it takes very long time to heat the air without the fan (my workshop is not well insulated - e.g. I have insulation all around, but I have only single glass windows and door, which I intend to replace later with double or triple insulated glass). Do you have any experience with infrared heating in the workshop?

I would like to buy a single infrared heater.
I assume I will get:
- lower cost per hour
- instant radiant heat (so I do not have to run the heater one hour in advance to get at least some heat) - less running time
- no blowing dust around

I visit the workshop a few times a day for 10-15 minutes (as work breaks as I am working from home) and then once in the evening for 30 - 60 min.

Are my assumptions correct or it is only a theory and the reality is much different?

Thank you.

Never had an IR heater but have sat under one at an outdoor restaurant table under one of the many variations of covid regulations. My understanding is they warm up you but not the surroundings or 'things'. Should be efficient - I've never noticed the smokers shivering outside the pub. Risk of your tools being hard to handle though. Hopefully someone with workshop heater experience will be able to comment.

Yes I use them in my workshop, wall mounted, I find them OK but it's a strange kind of heat, like the sun it only works when you're in it and only the side of you facing it, the air is still cold so yes you can still feel a chill. It does warm up your tools and glue ups quite well though. The glow helps you feel warm perhaps.

Good evening,

My workshop is 3,6x3,6m (inside dimensions) and I work almost exclusively with hand tools.

I currently have a 2kW blow heater in the workshop.I am not using it, because it blows dust around (unless I turn off the fan) and it takes very long time to heat the air without the fan (my workshop is not well insulated - e.g. I have insulation all around, but I have only single glass windows and door, which I intend to replace later with double or triple insulated glass). Do you have any experience with infrared heating in the workshop?

I assume I will get:
- lower cost per hour
- instant radiant heat (so I do not have to run the heater one hour in advance to get at least some heat) - less running time
- no blowing dust around

I visit the workshop a few times a day for 10-15 minutes (as work breaks as I am working from home) and then once in the evening for 30 - 60 min.

Are my assumptions correct or it is only a theory and the reality is much different?

Thank you.
Good evening,

I assume I will get:
- lower cost per hour
- no blowing dust around

Thank you.
Photos are from my woodturning workshop. I too replaced the 2kw fan heater with a 1&2kw infrared ceiling mounted heater. Very effective. I do wear a thermal binge hat under a Trend helmet.
03F28E61-ABCD-4034-9B50-EC6F58C80015.jpeg
366B0F40-DAAA-4357-9DDD-E6FEB09A704C.jpeg
366B0F40-DAAA-4357-9DDD-E6FEB09A704C.jpeg

Back